Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
EricM
Junior

Kayak for lakes...

Hey guys,

I sold my kayak close to 6 months ago because money was short and I had gotten a smaller car. Looking back, it was a mistake, but has given me the chance to upgrade. Since I sold it, I converted back to my freshwater roots and am looking for a new yak.

I read about the new Malibu Sierra 10 sit in kayak and instantly was interested in it. How difficult is it to fish from a sit in kayak? I know they don't offer the drainage or ease of getting in/out as a sit on top kayak, but that won't be an issue with me. Is there any major drawbacks to fishing from a sit in, such as interfering with casting and comfortability? Also, I mentioned that I have a smaller car (2 door Ford Focus) so the size of the kayak with allow for easy transportability as well as letting me get into some tight spots to fish.

http://www.malibukayaks.com/kayak_Sierra-10.asp

I plan on checking one out at the Fred Hall show coming up, but just wanted to get some input on sit in kayaks in general before I buy one. If I don't end up getting a Sierra, I think I will go with a Mini X, seems to be popular with many. So, whats your guys advice for me?

Thanks

Eric
EricM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:06 PM   #2
tony

Get the Mini-X with rod holders and hatches. Super stable, even when moving around and sitting side saddle. Plus if you do go in the ocean eventually, you really want those scupper holes. The only advantage with sit insides is when its really flippin cold you will be warmer and because you are sitting on the bottom they tend to be very stable. With the Mini-X you wont be stuck in one position and if you do flip its much easier to get back in a sit on top. Also the Mini-x has a lot more storage and is very easy for one person to carry and put on top of your car.
tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:08 PM   #3
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

My buddy fishes from a sit inside kayak; they are pretty popular here where the water is cold and rough. Plus; he can take his dog with him or go duck hunting.
Here he is trying to get a big steelhead in the boat.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:52 PM   #4
ake1904
Junior

If size and weight is an issue look at wilderness systems tarpon 100 comes with 2 hatches and a seat
ake1904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:06 AM   #5
Iceman
Administrator

We have the new Sierra 10 at Fred Hall. The show special is $549 and you get $100 accessories credit. Coincidentally we have the Tsunami paddle/Outback seat combo for $99, so get the kayak seat and paddle for $549. This is a killer fresh water/bay fishing kayak. It took me some getting used to casting sitting lower with arm rests. Once you make the transition it is awesome. I do have one at the OEX Sunset Beach store for demos as well. DVL here I come!

Old 03-04-2010, 07:58 AM   #6
landwhale

I haven't tried the Sierra 10 yet but have been fishing Hunington Harbor from a Pungo 12 and found I enjoy it for fishing from. It does take a little getting used to with the rods though it would be my choice for lake fishing. Like Andy said drop by the shop in Sunset and give it a try have both available. The shop is open every day 9 to 6.......

landwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:14 AM   #7
kareem korn

I got an old town loon sit inside that I use for DVL. I find no difference in fishing from it than my xfactor. But, that's the only place I use it only cause sit on tops are not allowed. It actually is kinda cool cause your sitting below the water line. If your going to only fish fresh than I would recommend a sit inside. Just in case you run into that rule. That malibu sit inside looks cool.
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:54 PM   #8
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

Can that Malibu be used with a spray skirt? It looks like it has a lip around the cockpit. I know it's not something you would use in SoCal; but for wet and cold weather it is a big plus.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:05 PM   #9
EricM
Junior

Thanks for all of the tips guys.

I was partially drawn to a sit in kayak because I would like to stay dry and warm while I fish. Not that its an issue for me to get wet, but then I have to either wear a wetsuit or bathing suit, which is kind of a hassle. With a sit in, I just hop in with my jeans and go fish! Makes it easier for me since I often have a variety of things to do in a day and can't fish all day.... even though I would love to! Also, I will be moving to Nor Cal in a year or so for school and its much colder up there and my San Diego raised rear will freeze up there as it is!

Iceman, I would love to swing by and demo it. Do I have to make an appointment or anything? I'll drop by the Fred Hall booth too and maybe make my purchase. Also, Iceman since you have actually been in the kayak, how easy is it for one person to move? I'm guessing VERY from its size and weight, but just wanted to get it confirmed. I have some hidden places I would like to take it.

Kareem, interesting point about your sit on top not allowed. I always wondered for lakes that have a no body/water contact policy if you could use a sit on top at those lakes. Luckily with a sit in, I wouldn't have to worry about that!

Thanks again guys!
Old 03-08-2010, 11:38 AM   #10
Siebler

Demo the Commander from Wilderness Systems when you demo that Sierra.

I got my Commander about a month ago and LOVE it. It is the perfect Freshwater and Bay Boat.

The Captains seat is elevated higher than you could sit in the Sierra thus allowing you to more accurately pitch lures into docks and cover. I spend most all my time in this kayak wither on the higher seat area or standing (which is also VERY easy in this kayak).

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:17 PM   #11
EricM
Junior

Dang Siebler, looks like a great kayak, but thats pricey! Unquestionably looks like a freshwater fishing machine, but I can't drop that kind of coin.