Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
TJones

thanks to Andy

at OEX . I got my drive put back together with all the new parts . I replaced the main shaft and the dog ears that are drilled with holes for leg adjustment. Initially i had just purchased the plastic dog ears (this is the term i am going to use to name them ) . After getting home and deciding to install them I realized that the main metal shaft that runs between them is also worn down and needing replacement . The next day I took another trip down to the shop to get what is needed. I think sand got in between the two surfaces , and because I waited more than 75 - 100 hours to finally disassemble and maintain the drive the two components failed prematurely . When I realized there was a problem, it was because the drive had a lot of slop , and it was to late . Initially I only replaced the dog ears , and there was improvement , but still some play . That is when I took a better look and noticed the main shaft was no longer perfectly round. I would estimate .5 - .75 m.m. taken off of each part . The combination of the two components wearing out lead to a considerable amount of play . After reassembly and inspecting everything, I thought it looked good. So I decided to test it out yesterday. After launching in nearly flat conditions , I felt a lot of play and knew something was wrong . My first thought was , I did not tighten the cables enough. After getting out of the danger zone , I pulled the drive out and saw most of the cables popped off. It was then , that I realized I had installed the drive cables improperly . The idler cable should be on the outside of the front main cable , and I had reversed them . It worked until I put it under a load . so I did an on the water repair job and I was back in business . I will keep the fish report short , to use on a future post . Overall beautiful day , whale breaching , dolphins busting , and birds diving. Very few hookups , in fact I may have been one of the two only hookups . 120 - 130 pound hog released to fight another day . Tight lines everyone .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

Com'on everyone knows those are 81171001 Drums

Glad it worked out.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
TJones

need some more parts

the one cable that I did not replace is starting to go . and I was thinking about replacing the pulley . the outer edge is okay but it is riding a little loose on the shaft . see you soon .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote