Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2007, 08:21 PM   #1
wavster

Spectra Question

I posted this topic on another board, so I apologize if this is redundant within the kayak fishing community...

I was testing my albright knot with spectra to fluoro and found that my spectra was snapping between
22 & 28lbs. The problem is that it's 50lb spectra. I did some tests with no knots and no fluoro with the
same results. The line is PowerPro spectra that I bought at Turners during the Fred Hall show.

Has anyone else experienced similar findings with their spectra or with PowerPro? It's hardly worth the
price. It cost twice as much as P-line mono and holds only half as much.

The good news is my albright knot is holding very well.
wavster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:54 PM   #2
bigderel
UberMember

That can't be right unless the product is somehow old or compromised. I'd take it back to Turners and get some new stuff, I'm sure they'd hook you up...I use PowerPro all the time and haven't had any issues. Although I often use a certain type of mono without issues & my last spool sucked. There's bound to be bad apples. Also, most lines test higher than their stated strength...you've seen it before I'm sure - "dude, 8 pound >insert brand name here< is the best! I got snagged on a rock and it anchored a 65 foot yacht!"...
bigderel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:26 PM   #3
wavster

I tested both spools and both snapped around the mid 20s (lbs.). I think I would want
to test another spool before I buy it again.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:08 PM   #4
madscientist

Powerpro was notorious for spontaneous failure a few years ago on the east coast. I stopped using it after experiencing that first hand. Seems very hit or miss. I've heard there is counterfeit stuff on the market (ebay) as well. Noah's tackle on Convoy can spool you up with JB spectra. Best I've seen short of the high end Japanese stuff.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:40 AM   #5
Chris

I lost 3 taddys last week on my jigstick with #30 powerpro... I'd cast, it dug into itself, and gone...... Never again...

All my bait rods are #65 powerpro, never had them snap on sizeable fish, or cutting through kelp. I wouldn't recommend any less than #65, afterall it is like #15 mono diameter.

I like the big game mono for my surface, and yoyo jig rods...
Old 03-30-2007, 06:48 AM   #6
wavster

Thanks guys. I appreciate the insight.