Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 11-18-2018, 05:33 PM   #1
Baja Marty

Cabo Skunk

This time last year the bait guys were netting sardinas off nearby rocks and yellowfin were schooling less than a mile straight out..... No such luck this year. The only live bait available was tiny, aquarium size. A few tuna were caught from pangas but no love for me with my itty bitty bait. Then the wind kicked up for days, blowing 10-20 knots. I got out as soon as the wind died and managed to catch a few 12" cabrilla on jigs, all released. It was still pretty choppy, so I called it quits. The next day conditions looked perfect as we caught our taxi to the airport.

Oh well, bad timing. I'll give it another shot in December.

Meanwhile the worst part is that one of those itty bitty baits must have back washed into my Hobie bait tank pump and I can't seem to flush it out. It still pumps but it stinks something awful! Hopefully it will flush out eventually.

Last edited by Baja Marty; 11-18-2018 at 09:14 PM.
Baja Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:59 AM   #2
monstahfish

Squeez and twist the red tabs and top of the pump and you can open the impeller housing to clean it out.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:32 AM   #3
jlabs63

Too bad, but at least you got out there. Not sure where your place is, but I think the only tuna to be found this time of year are off the Iman and San Luis banks. The fishery has changed a lot in the past ~5 years, as there is less live bait available, due to over fishing with drag nets, etc.

A good way to go is to get a few kilos of Humboldt squid slabs; cut them into small pieces for chum along with some bigger pieces for bait. Throw a handful of chum in, followed by your hooked bait and let is soak. Use mono so it sinks properly. The fish on the sea of Cortez size seem to be lazy and they like meat!

I get jealous every time you post. I love it down there. Wish I could have a yak down there!
jlabs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:26 AM   #4
Baja Marty

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstahfish View Post
Squeez and twist the red tabs and top of the pump and you can open the impeller housing to clean it out.
I saw where it says "squeeze red tab and twist to open" on top but I was afraid I'd break the pump.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:34 AM   #5
Baja Marty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabs63 View Post
Too bad, but at least you got out there. Not sure where your place is, but I think the only tuna to be found this time of year are off the Iman and San Luis banks. The fishery has changed a lot in the past ~5 years, as there is less live bait available, due to over fishing with drag nets, etc.

A good way to go is to get a few kilos of Humboldt squid slabs; cut them into small pieces for chum along with some bigger pieces for bait. Throw a handful of chum in, followed by your hooked bait and let is soak. Use mono so it sinks properly. The fish on the sea of Cortez size seem to be lazy and they like meat!

I get jealous every time you post. I love it down there. Wish I could have a yak down there!
I met a guy with his own boat and he was catching tuna, dorado and wahoo down at Iman Bank (before the wind kicked up.)

I've done the Humbolt squid thing from a skiff and it definitely works for tuna down there. We bought 10+ pounds at Walmart. That seems like a lot to manage on a 'yak but I suppose I could cut up all the chum ahead of time and bag it.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:42 AM   #6
Baja Marty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabs63 View Post
Not sure where your place is,
I launch at Palmilla cove. Fish the point and to the south.