Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2011, 04:02 PM   #21
danjor

Thanks. Now I am all pumped up and want to go, sadly can't go this week. But I am so ready for next week. Workig on bait tank. Still deciding on runnig the pump on 12v or 6v for the tank.
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:49 PM   #22
stairman

how sets form

If you want to launch in the dark it is important,if the waves are big or short period, to understand how sets form.Sets being the large waves that periodically come in that are substantially bigger then the average.Lauching into the first of a large set can ruin the trip for you.
Waves rarely ever consist of one group of swells.Most often the waves are the result of two or more different height and wave speeds coming together to either cancel each other out,or build each other up.
If you have three two foot swells each ariving at the beach at different intervals here is what happens,
When the swells arive at ever so slightly different times you have a series of tiny waves closely packed and that is a good time to paddle out.
When the swells are timed so the peaks occur at the same time they amplify the height of the waves...or a set of big waves...a bad time to paddle out through the bigger waves.The concept is called constructive and destructive interference.The constructive part is what you want to aviod.
If it is dark and you cant see whats happening you need to wade out to knee deep water(of course not when the waves are tiny...then just go)and just stand there and watch what is happening.Ten minutes will give you an clue as to when to go.As you stand there and the waves keep getting bigger passing you in the knee deep water that is the remnents of a set.Wait for the next one to come and get on the yak while the biggest of the knee deep swells are hitting and paddle out.This willput you in the breaker zone just after the last of the big set goes through giving you the time to get passed the breaker zone before the next set comes through....most of the time...lol.
Face it if you are gonna launch before light you might get pounded before getting passed the breaker zone.Lj is one of the smallest wave areas in san diego,anything two foot or less is a cake walk.Three or four foot is very doable depending on swell direction.nw swells being the toughest.South to sw swells are deminished as they wrap aroup punta la jolla and into the shores.
stairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:55 PM   #23
BMThompson
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjor View Post
Thanks. Now I am all pumped up and want to go, sadly can't go this week. But I am so ready for next week. Workig on bait tank. Still deciding on runnig the pump on 12v or 6v for the tank.
That depends on the size of the tank...
Hobie livewell runs on 6
...it looks like the KSF Ultimate Bait Tank does, too: http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...it-Tank/Detail

Last edited by BMThompson; 05-11-2011 at 05:05 PM. Reason: ...
BMThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:57 PM   #24
danjor

I bought that same bucket from petco it was on sale too. And I have been looking around and pricing the bulge pumps. Im doing this on a budget so it makes things turf. Im a college student with no job so money is tight. But I will eventually get it all sorted out
Old 05-12-2011, 05:40 AM   #25
Deamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBeck View Post
My 1st launch at LJ. I didn't think about it at all I just woke up and went . I'm sure you have swam in the ocean before, at least seen it. Put a life-jacket on and GO GO GO!!!! you only have to paddle out, if you are not comfortable turn around and paddle back, if you are paddle farther.

One of my favorite readings about the Sierra Mountain range, I think it is applicable to any outdoor adventure

All of your life someone is pointing the way, directing you this way and that, determining for you which road is best traveled. Here is your chance to find your own way. Don’t ask me how to get to McGee Canyon or Lake Double Eleven. Go, on your own. Be adventuresome. Don’t forever seek the easiest way. Take the way you find. Don’t demand trail signs and sturdy bridges. Don’t demand we show you the mountains. Seek them an find them yourself… This is your birthright as an animal, most commonly denied you. Be free enough from intentions to find goodness wherever you are and in whatever is happening. Here for once in your life you needn’t do anything. Be anywhere at a determined time, walk in a certain direction. You can now live by whim. Here is your one chance to get lost, find a beautiful place.” quote from a park ranger.

Very nice quote...So I beach it at dusk this week and a lady walks up and starts asking: Did you go out by yourself? How far out did you go? Oh really? By yourself...hmm. If you think about it, you just might pucker up. If you're prepared, able-bodied and understand all of the benefits: GO FOR IT!
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:05 AM   #26
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjor View Post

6volt will work just fine.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:01 AM   #27
theluckypig

my frist launch(es) were in the dark, in a tandem, over loaded, and inexperienced... result: dunked twice, lost the partner...(quit...) then a good samaritan (damian) saved the day and hand walked me out and i spent the day fishing away... introduce yourself, ask questions, and there'll probably be someone there to help guide you through the process.

theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:40 PM   #28
Croaker Dave

If you're doing this on a budget, consider making a bait tube out of PVC. Works great, no batteries or pumps.
Croaker Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:01 PM   #29
danjor

Well now that west marine offers price match I got the pump for $12.16 what a deal compared to there regular price $39.99. Trued the pump with my 12v battery for my fish finder and im deftly gonna get a 6v battery for the pump.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:07 PM   #30
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croaker Dave View Post
If you're doing this on a budget, consider making a bait tube out of PVC. Works great, no batteries or pumps.
I concur. I see it as less hassle as well. Just don't put too many in the tube like I did last time out. At the end of my session I emptied my tube and they went belly up. There have been other times that I let the last one out and it took off quickly.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote