Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2011, 06:24 PM   #1
danjor

Planing my first trip to La Jolla this weekend

So i think i am ready to take the venture out to la jolla for the first time to begin the hunt for the exclusive YT and WSB.
Plaining on heading out either friday or saterday eairly morning depending on conditions. Thursday im finally gonna build me a bait tank so i will be all ready to head out this weekend.
If anyone is heading out either of those days let me know and maby we can head out togeather. It would be nice to get some pointers from somone who knows what there talking about so im not out there all alone while not knowing what to expect since first time in open water. I belive i have most of what i need my only concerns are i dont have a gps or compass besides on my phone.. idk how much that is needed but it has been concerning me.
So any tips you guys may have on what to expect or to make shure to bring would be apreciated
And if anyone wants to hang out and by my fishing buddy for the day that would be great.
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Go to big 5 and get a compass, make sure you got a whistle and some sort of signaling device besides a radio just ask wade. Best of luck and have fun.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:16 PM   #3
danjor

Hmm... I don't have a radio yet I should prob try to find some money to get one.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:42 PM   #4
dorado50

"just do it"
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:11 PM   #5
inshorefisher

i'm thinking about going out early friday with a friend (his first time and my second at la jolla). still busy with personal stuff so i haven't done the research on the conditions. i don't like being out on open water if it's more then 10 knots wind and big swells. i'll let you know asap.
inshorefisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:18 PM   #6
inshorefisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjor View Post
So i think i am ready to take the venture out to la jolla for the first time to begin the hunt for the exclusive YT and WSB.
Plaining on heading out either friday or saterday eairly morning depending on conditions. Thursday im finally gonna build me a bait tank so i will be all ready to head out this weekend.
If anyone is heading out either of those days let me know and maby we can head out togeather. It would be nice to get some pointers from somone who knows what there talking about so im not out there all alone while not knowing what to expect since first time in open water. I belive i have most of what i need my only concerns are i dont have a gps or compass besides on my phone.. idk how much that is needed but it has been concerning me.
So any tips you guys may have on what to expect or to make shure to bring would be apreciated
And if anyone wants to hang out and by my fishing buddy for the day that would be great.

Read the information page on this site. a lot of helpful information and Brain Long made a good checklist of items to bring/have.
inshorefisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:44 AM   #7
maui jim

NEW GUY BRINGS THE BEER!!!
Old 05-10-2011, 01:49 PM   #8
danjor

So what time in the morning do most people launch at la jolla?
Old 05-10-2011, 02:34 PM   #9
old_rookie

anytime between 4am and 9am +/- 1 hour.

I plan to head out Sat. morning, but I don't know what I'm talking about, so you might not get much if you troll around with me.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #10
coxtanker421

i didnt see beer on brians list?
coxtanker421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:01 PM   #11
chris138
donkey roper

Definitely launch after dawn for your first trip. You need to be able to see the sets coming.

Keep your eyes and ears peeled and have respect for the ocean. You'll be fine!
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:02 PM   #12
Vikingj

Fri looks pretty mello - great day for the less experienced. If you launch in grey light (30-45 min before sunrise) there usually is plenty of of visibility to time waves- although you could probably do it blindfold Fri (forecast small 1ft waves and long 10-14sec interval). With a grey light start it's easier to make bait and you can be ready for the big boys when they come out to feed shortly after/before full sunrise. My schedule for Fri (sunrise a few min before 0600)would be: arrive 0445, park/set up 0445-0520, launch 0520-0530, paddle/make bait 0530-0600, pin on mac and start fishing! Of course many go out at 0800-0900 and catch just as many!?
I'm planning to go out Thurs but if my buddy bails I'll be glad to join you on Fri. I'll post a heads up tomorrow. Good luck.
Wayne
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:44 PM   #13
danjor

Uhh im going to cancel this trip for this week and go maby next week or the week after. Dad said i have to work on my truck instead =( Stupid oil change and smog check useing up all my gas money. Soo disapointed. Well now I know what to expect and bring next time I get a chance. And by the way where did u find out what the wave height will be? That's nice to know
One day I will catch you and
Old 05-10-2011, 09:32 PM   #14
jorluivil

Good chance myself, Stinkymatt and Tagyak will be out there next week Sunday.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:23 AM   #15
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjor View Post
Before I did my first La Jolla Launch I watched these videos, and they were very helpful, and a good way to kill time at work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LLg3...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPL1vPW25kg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-ksXUNGkig

La Jolla launching and landing not a difficult as some make it out to be.

Launch with someone who has done it before your first time, for the buddy system, and you should be alright.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:06 AM   #16
old_rookie

I might be skipping Saturday too.
1. Magicseaweed predicting 3ft swells, 6 second interval from the west all day.
2. low temps
3. funeral to go to on Thursday which means cutting out of work which means making up work on Saturday.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:01 PM   #17
Aaron&Julie

This is a good link for weather and swell reports:

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/sgx/

We usually click on the map 3 times. Once, to capture the La Jolla area. A second time to isolate closer to the launch. Then the third time to isolate right off of the southern point of the reserve. This usually gives us the most accurate information to the area we will be fishing.

Keep in mind, 3-4 foot ocean swells usually equate to larger surf at other locations, but smaller at the launch, but not always. Lately, 4 foot ocean swells have caused 5 foot surf at the launch, but that is unusual. With 3 foot ocean swells you are typically safe at the launch. This website's reports often are more accurate than what you get on TV.

Here is a website we also use when checking current wind conditions:

http://w9if.net/cgi-bin/torreywx/wx.pl

It is for the Torrey Pines gliderport, just north of Scripps pier, so it is fairly accurate in regards to La Jolla.

Additionally, if you want tide information, which is useful when launching use this link:

http://www.mobilegeographics.com:81/locations/3220.html

Scroll down the page and look for the date you are going out. Any high tide above 5 feet and you might not be able to drive your vehicle onto the beach. It is also good to know when launching and landing whether the tide is falling or rising. When you go to and from your vehicle, you don't want a rising tide to sweep your kayak away.

We start checking these websites 4-5 days in advance, then check them every day until we go, as conditions can sometimes change significantly.

Be safe, and good luck.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:23 PM   #18
JoeBeck

My 1st launch at LJ. I didn't think about it at all I just woke up and went . I'm sure you have swam in the ocean before, at least seen it. Put a life-jacket on and GO GO GO!!!! you only have to paddle out, if you are not comfortable turn around and paddle back, if you are paddle farther.

One of my favorite readings about the Sierra Mountain range, I think it is applicable to any outdoor adventure

All of your life someone is pointing the way, directing you this way and that, determining for you which road is best traveled. Here is your chance to find your own way. Don’t ask me how to get to McGee Canyon or Lake Double Eleven. Go, on your own. Be adventuresome. Don’t forever seek the easiest way. Take the way you find. Don’t demand trail signs and sturdy bridges. Don’t demand we show you the mountains. Seek them an find them yourself… This is your birthright as an animal, most commonly denied you. Be free enough from intentions to find goodness wherever you are and in whatever is happening. Here for once in your life you needn’t do anything. Be anywhere at a determined time, walk in a certain direction. You can now live by whim. Here is your one chance to get lost, find a beautiful place.” quote from a park ranger.
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:17 PM   #19
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBeck View Post
My 1st launch at LJ. I didn't think about it at all I just woke up and went . I'm sure you have swam in the ocean before, at least seen it. Put a life-jacket on and GO GO GO!!!! you only have to paddle out, if you are not comfortable turn around and paddle back, if you are paddle farther.
That's funny - I think back to my first launch, I didn't look at any weather/tide/swell report. I just went and paddled out - then back-in and rolled, went out again, then back-in and rolled, went out, back-in, success!!

Now I look and the reports and analyze and think too much about it.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:40 PM   #20
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBeck View Post

One of my favorite readings about the Sierra Mountain range, I think it is applicable to any outdoor adventure

All of your life someone is pointing the way, directing you this way and that, determining for you which road is best traveled. Here is your chance to find your own way. Don’t ask me how to get to McGee Canyon or Lake Double Eleven. Go, on your own. Be adventuresome. Don’t forever seek the easiest way. Take the way you find. Don’t demand trail signs and sturdy bridges. Don’t demand we show you the mountains. Seek them an find them yourself… This is your birthright as an animal, most commonly denied you. Be free enough from intentions to find goodness wherever you are and in whatever is happening. Here for once in your life you needn’t do anything. Be anywhere at a determined time, walk in a certain direction. You can now live by whim. Here is your one chance to get lost, find a beautiful place.” quote from a park ranger.

Funny how this is true....when you live 90.2 miles from the LJ launch you don't think about swells or current, or waves or whether or not the bite is on, you just go. I've made close to ten trips to LJ and have never arrived at the launch and said....'Ummmm, waves look spooky, think I'll turn around and go home.'

JUST DO IT!!!!
With caution of course.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote