Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2015, 12:07 PM   #1
Viper3173

Wide open YT in la Jolla?

A couple friends went out on the new seaforth yesterday for a 1/2 day am trip and apparently the boat landed 70+ yellows in la Jolla for 20 anglers all on the surface with fly lined sardines and surface irons. Another buddy heard about the numbers, took his boat out solo to la Jolla and limited in less that 3 hours all on the surface iron. He said they were crashing the surface pretty hard...waves are a little big but it might be worth venturing out if you've got the time (which sadly I don't).

Good luck out there, tight lines

Patrick
Viper3173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:24 PM   #2
Kayakfisherman79
Junior

I haven't heard anything about it? but I would love to go fishing in La Jolla area, I'm just not sure about the whole beach launching with my PA14. Lol
Kayakfisherman79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:29 PM   #3
Pocoloco

If what he just reported is true you won't have to worry about the launch, there will be a bunch of yakkers to help you out.
Pocoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 02:14 PM   #4
yemff

Ya it turned on in the afternoon, although making bait was a real chore. Bait was all over the place, but still Took me 4 hours to get 5 Mack's, which usually takes all of 15min. And surf at the launch was 2ft max yesterday.
yemff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 02:32 PM   #5
mpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayakfisherman79 View Post
I haven't heard anything about it? but I would love to go fishing in La Jolla area, I'm just not sure about the whole beach launching with my PA14. Lol
I'll be there by 6:00 am tomorrow. First time surf launching for me. Let's give it a go.
mpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 02:52 PM   #6
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpc View Post
I'll be there by 6:00 am tomorrow. First time surf launching for me. Let's give it a go.
My advise, Wait for a lull in the set waves. As soon as you get the kayak where you can sit on it without it sinking to the sand jump on the kayak in the general area if the seat and PADDLE your ass off. Get comfortable after you're past the surf.

No hesitation is allowed in the surf launch. Any hesitation will get you stuck in the surf zone between sets.

Good Luck!
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 02:58 PM   #7
mpc

What? I was planning on having one of the guys with a mirage drive tow me out.

j/k. I appreciate the advice and well wishes. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? I was so excited to go last weekend, but between the crappy weather and home life it didn't happen.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:10 PM   #8
Dannowar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper3173 View Post
A couple friends went out on the new seaforth yesterday for a 1/2 day am trip and apparently the boat landed 70+ yellows in la Jolla for 20 anglers all on the surface with fly lined sardines and surface irons. Another buddy heard about the numbers, took his boat out solo to la Jolla and limited in less that 3 hours all on the surface iron. He said they were crashing the surface pretty hard...waves are a little big but it might be worth venturing out if you've got the time (which sadly I don't).

Patrick

Thanks for turning la jolla into a parking lot this weekend. Good thing I'll be in Mexico
Old 05-29-2015, 03:20 PM   #9
driftwood

Quote:

Patrick
Thanks for the report! between the boats and kayakers I hope I can find a spot to fish.

driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 03:31 PM   #10
FISH11

Quote:
What? I was planning on having one of the guys with a mirage drive tow me out.

j/k. I appreciate the advice and well wishes. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? I was so excited to go last weekend, but between the crappy weather and home life it didn't happen.
That is funny, since the guys with the mirage drive are going to be having a harder time than you, getting out of the surf zone. Once they are out then they can use their drive to pedal and travel a little faster, but the drive is not good coming in or going through the waves because it's too shalow.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:32 PM   #11
flemdogg
Island Blood

The moment you hear about a wide open bite, it is usually too late. :-(
Old 05-29-2015, 06:22 PM   #12
mpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
That is funny, since the guys with the mirage drive are going to be having a harder time than you, getting out of the surf zone. Once they are out then they can use their drive to pedal and travel a little faster, but the drive is not good coming in or going through the waves because it's too shalow.
I wouldn't know, obviously. I was assuming people dropped it in at about waist deep water, then hopped on and took off. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:00 PM   #13
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
I wouldn't know, obviously. I was assuming people dropped it in at about waist deep water, then hopped on and took off. Thanks for the info.

That's exactly what I do.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:04 PM   #14
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
That's exactly what I do.
x2!
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:04 PM   #15
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Quote:
Originally Posted by flemdogg View Post
The moment you hear about a wide open bite, it is usually too late. :-(
Story of my life..... Or is it?
Old 05-29-2015, 09:07 PM   #16
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Someone take a picture of the "On the water parking lot" and post please!
Old 05-29-2015, 09:28 PM   #17
SoCalCJ

Yeah the New Seaforth was putting the wood to them Thursday. They were brailing massive scoops of bait over the rail and the fish would stick. There were only two or three PB's out at LJ that day. I think most of them are going offshore right now which should keep the crowd down somewhat.
SoCalCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:39 PM   #18
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCJ View Post
Yeah the New Seaforth was putting the wood to them Thursday. They were brailing massive scoops of bait over the rail and the fish would stick. There were only two or three PB's out at LJ that day. I think most of them are going offshore right now which should keep the crowd down somewhat.
According to the Landings, everyone is gonna try for the Tuna this weekend from what I hear, so shouldn't be too crowded in La Jolla IMO. This is from what I was told on the phone, word at the tackle shop yesterday, and from what everyone is saying online. 100lb TUNA, less people are gonna focus on YT.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:26 AM   #19
Tandem Assassin

Quote:

Patrick
I was in my skiff yesterday and saw over 200 yellows caught. Unreal - it was like the Coronados in the old days..
Tandem Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:13 AM   #20
Tandem Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silbaugh4liberty View Post
According to the Landings, everyone is gonna try for the Tuna this weekend from what I hear, so shouldn't be too crowded in La Jolla IMO. This is from what I was told on the phone, word at the tackle shop yesterday, and from what everyone is saying online. 100lb TUNA, less people are gonna focus on YT.

There were over 100 private boats at LJ yesterday..
Tandem Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote