Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2017, 05:46 PM   #1
Mahigeer

chuck one up for the good guys.

Received this from The Sportfishing Conservancy and thought to share it.

The California DFW's Law Enforcement Division, popularly known as the wardens, does an awesome job keeping an eye on California's natural resources. It's their duty to ensure that those who would steal them are dealt with fairly, yet firmly. The following 3 episodes are from their December report:

"Wildlife Officers Lengning, Cohen and Lt. Boyle were on the Patrol Vessel Swordfish offshore of the Channel Islands. They observed a commercial passenger fishing vessel (CPFV) stopped in an area well beyond the 360 foot
depth restriction for take of rockfish. The Swordfish crew followed the vessel and made contact. The boat captain eventually admitted he was allowing his passengers to fish in water deeper than 360 feet. The captain attempted to
cover it up when contacted by Swordfish wildlife officers but eventually admitted to the violation. Officer Lengning issued the captain a citation for angling for rockfish in waters deeper than 360 feet."

"Wildlife Officers Cohen, Nguyen and Ton conducted a fish business inspection of a commercial sea urchin receiver who had failed to turn in landing receipts or pay Department landing tax for the last five years. The officers found approximately 4,500 landing receipts, which they seized and turned into the Department for processing. A formal complaint will be issued against the business owner for failing to turn in the landing receipts and pay taxes."

"While patrolling Catalina Island, the Patrol Vessel Thresher crew checked a diver in the Arrow Point to Lion Head Point Marine Protected Area (MPA). Upon approach, the diver in the water appeared to be emptying his dive bag and dropped his spear gun. Wildlife Officer Rojas dove into the 58 degree water with just a mask and trunks to recover possible evidence directly below the diver. Wildlife Officer Sandvig quickly retrieved the spear gun as the float line was still on top of the water. At the end of the spear gun, Officer Sandvig found one speared lobster carapace still attached to the spear gun tip. While diving in approximately 30 feet of water, Officer Rojas found two green abalone, unattached, on the gravel ocean floor. Next to the abalone was a dive knife that fit perfectly in an empty sheath attached to the diver's leg. The diver later admitted to taking the abalone and lobster. The diver's gloves and dive knife are being sent to the Department's Wildlife Forensic Lab for DNA analysis. Despite having a cut in the foot of one of the abalone, Warden Sandvig dove into the water later and reattached the abalone to some rocks in the vicinity."

Give these folks a hand - buy a Warden Stamp (https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/licensing/online-sales).
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:13 AM   #2
WARRIORMIKE

I'm gonna sound like a jerk, so here it goes........ they did their job.

Why would I buy a warden stamp for this??
WARRIORMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:49 AM   #3
Mahigeer

You have a valid point.

My intention was to provide some information on behalf of the wardens.

Not sell warden stamp, although I got some stickers and a thank you letter when I bought my warden stamp.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:54 AM   #4
jruiz
Large Member

That abalone story in Catalina happened in September of 2015. They were convicted and fined 120k in September 2016. People might get the impression that this happened all within December.

Last edited by jruiz; 02-07-2017 at 10:06 AM.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote