Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2017, 08:27 PM   #1
jorluivil

How Do You Do Yours?

Since the fishing is still slow he's another topic that we can discuss

How exactly do you fight your fish?

First and foremost I clear my other rods by getting any lines that are in the water completely out of the water or at least make sure that it's at the surface. I prefer to fight and land my fish on my right side so if the rod on the left was hit I will raise the line on the rod that is on the right and place it on the opposite side.

If the hooked fish takes a massive run I will pedal towards it, adjust my direction using one of the two rudder controls that I have, reel, pedal, adjust, reel, pedal, pedal, reel, pedal, etc. The entire time I am looking at the direction of my line, if its horizontal I know that the fish is still ahead of me so I will continue to pedal until the line is vertical.

Once the fish is near the surface and getting to within gaffing range I will grab my gaff, pedal and attempt to adjust the fish so that its moving/swimming parallel to my kayak and in the same direction, of course. Once it's in range I will gaff the fish, get it slightly out of the water and clip.

What's your style?

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:26 PM   #2
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I've always wondered about using a game clip on a fish that has been gaffed but not yet landed on the boat...

28.65. GENERAL. Except as provided in this article, fin fish may be taken only on hook and line or by hand.
28.65 (d) states when a gaff can not be used, so it is assumed a gaff can be used otherwise to take fish.
28.95 states when a spear or harpoon can be used, so it is assumed they cannot be used otherwise to take fish.

There is no exception to Take (kill) a fish using a "Fish Billy" to club it, or using a knife to stab or to cut gills, although these methods are generally used after a fish is landed. All I could find on the subject is http://californiaoutdoorsqas.com/tag/halibut/ which seems to be only an opinion that these two methods are legal.

Similarly, there is no exception for use of a game clip to Take a fish although it seems common among kayak anglers here, but there aren't any special rules that apply to kayak fishing. Using a game clip to secure your catch after it has been taken (landed, killed) isn't an issue. The issue is using it as part of actually taking a fish, when there is no exception for it or anything like its use.

I know everyone that does this will argue that it's legal, but what part of the code makes it legal?
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:56 PM   #3
King Saba

Pretty much do the same thing except I like to fish on my left side. It's just more comfortable, and I don't have to rotate my torso so much.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:28 AM   #4
PapaDave

Pretty much the same, except on the left side and I don't try to chase it down. I've found the if the fish takes off to the side I raise the rudder and hold the pole straight out to the front of the kayak so the fish will turn the kayak towards it. I find this to be easier than trying to steer.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:31 AM   #5
jruiz
Large Member

Overhanded and with the other hand I do a blooming flower motion....oh you mean fighting a fish. Pretty much the same but the preference is to my left side, but I move the fish to the right side when I see color. Gaff, game clip, stringer, unhook, bleed, club, and sometimes I brain the fish.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:40 AM   #6
Denis_Ruso

Now that you mention it, landing fish in a hobie sounds way easier.

I usually have to tire the fish out, until its doing circles on the left side, bring it to about a foot below the water, keep tension on the line, loosen the drag a tad bit, grab my gaff with my left hand and pull the fish within 6"-0" of the surface and sink the gaff directly into its eyeball.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:20 AM   #7
steveooo

I like to take at least 3 wild swings at the fish with the gaff before actually sticking them. I feel its more sporting that way. Then, I like to almost stab myself in the foot with a knife while trying to brain them.

steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:37 AM   #8
Iceman
Administrator

I never clear the lines, I thrive on chaos this usually culminates into that other line draping over the line just ahead of the tip top as I wait for it get sucked in and wound onto the reel..........but so far that has never happened.

Always fight the fish on the left side and gaff with the left hand. Choke up on the rod with the right to get fish in range. YT I always try to lead em in a circle and stick em as they come from under the boat, head shot or the gill area, maybe belly if in a panic......same for the rare opportunity to stick a tuna. WSB, easy gaff usually belly to not put a big hole in the prime meat. halibut in the shoulder to hopefully stun them.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:41 AM   #9
Iceman
Administrator

LOL that vid cracked me up. Sometimes that fish's destiny is preordained to become dinner no matter what.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:12 AM   #10
FullFlavorPike

Fish on the left, gaff in the right hand so it's easier to pull him right into the boat and pin him down in a figure four like Ric Flair.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:44 AM   #11
GregAndrew

Steve, that video is a classic depiction of why you should use your dominant hand to gaff the fish. Any hand is capable of pushing the rod away (to get the fish close). But few have the hand/eye coordination required to make a precise gaff shot with their off hand.

I prefer to not gaff hard, as that is likely to make the fish freak out. I target softer areas on most of my keepers. That allows me to make a short firm pull and not bounce the fish on the gaff.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:06 AM   #12
ful-rac
Emperor

Fish on right, Gaff on right for me.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:13 AM   #13
kirkdavis

I plan on bringing the fish up on my left so I can use my left to gaff it because I am left handed. I lean to the right though, so that should keep me in balance. That being said, I am still waiting for a gaff-worthy fish to sacrifice himself to my hook.
kirkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:49 AM   #14
Harry Hill

so far I haven't had to gaff any of the mackerel that come to my boat, I carry the gaff just because it looks so cool sticking up next to my bait tank. I don't even know what side it's on most of the time.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:01 PM   #15
FullFlavorPike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
so far I haven't had to gaff any of the mackerel that come to my boat, I carry the gaff just because it looks so cool sticking up next to my bait tank. I don't even know what side it's on most of the time.
It's nice to have something really pointy in the boat for when you roll during landings, too, I find...
Old 02-09-2017, 03:33 PM   #16
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike View Post
It's nice to have something really pointy in the boat for when you roll during landings, too, I find...
speaking of rolling. If everything is attached to a leash does it cause problems getting tangled with rods and the likes when you flip your yak?
Old 02-09-2017, 03:36 PM   #17
FullFlavorPike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
speaking of rolling. If everything is attached to a leash does it cause problems getting tangled with rods and the likes when you flip your yak?
Wouldn't know. I put the small and pokey stuff inside the hull.

Better tangled than lost, I guess.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:42 PM   #18
2-Stix

I close my eyes and wing it. Right side, left side, inside or outside. That monkey and footballs thing. Wide open!
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:53 PM   #19
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Right arm right hand is my stronger side...

With a level wind i like my fish on my right....fishing pole in my left hand, wind with my right hand,gaff with my right hand.3ft or longer gaff you don't have to reach....

Last edited by MITCHELL; 02-09-2017 at 06:29 PM.
MITCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:11 PM   #20
jorluivil

WOW STEVOOO.........WOW

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote