Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-05-2018, 11:25 AM   #1
Tslayer99
Commercial Fisherman

HELP FROM A KNOWLEDGEABLE BOATER

Hi Guys,
I’m looking to pick up a good sized aluminum that is in an interesting condition. I don’t want to discuss the details because I’m always concerned someone will undercut me, but I need some help. It’s here locally(SD area) and I can pick you up and drive you to come with me, I’d even give you like 5$, I just need some advice because this is my first vessel, and I don’t know all that much! Thanks so much, if you guys know anyone or can do it yourselves, PM me here. Thanks guys!
Tslayer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:48 PM   #2
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Welded aluminum only. Best advice is to get a marine surveyor to check it out if it is in the water. On a trailer you need to water test. Good luck with your find.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:49 PM   #3
NICKWORN

$5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tslayer99 View Post
Hi Guys,
I’m looking to pick up a good sized aluminum that is in an interesting condition. I don’t want to discuss the details because I’m always concerned someone will undercut me, but I need some help. It’s here locally(SD area) and I can pick you up and drive you to come with me, I’d even give you like 5$, I just need some advice because this is my first vessel, and I don’t know all that much! Thanks so much, if you guys know anyone or can do it yourselves, PM me here. Thanks guys!

Sorry had to. LOL GL Bud.
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 02:35 PM   #4
Tslayer99
Commercial Fisherman

Thanks makobob, yeah definitely welded hull and galvanized trailer. I am curious about the condition of the outboard and the hull. Also, I want to make sure that the electronics and steering are still in shape. Will likely need an overhaul.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:40 PM   #5
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Thanks makobob, yeah definitely welded hull and galvanized trailer. I am curious about the condition of the outboard and the hull. Also, I want to make sure that the electronics and steering are still in shape. Will likely need an overhaul.
Yah I think you'll have better luck asking someone to come along out of kindness then offering them 5$. Just sayin'

As far as the hull, a sea trial should tell you if any of the welds need fixing or leak.

Engine - Only way to really get an idea of engine health is to do a compression test on the motor and match the reading to the acceptable compression recommended by the engine manufacturer. Also good maintenance records are crucial as well as general sound on the water. Look up the recommended service intervals and make sure the service has been done by the previous owner preferably at a shop or by a boat mechanic. During a seatrial you should really run the boat in all conditions and really give it some throttle- it should sound like it runs well.

Stick to fuel injected if you don't want to tinker with carburetors and 4stroke if you don't want to worry about mixing oil into the fuel every time and a noisy motor.

Check the trim controls. up down on the console and the motor if it has the buttons on the motor.

Don't know much about steering, but my understanding of hydraulic systems is just need to make sure it doesn't leek (that includes rubber seals).

Electronics: 1 do they work? 2 are they corroded? 3 do they look waterproof/wired for salt.

TEST EVERYTHING under the conditions you will be using it. It's amazing how many little things you figure out later. bait tank plumping issues, bilge pump issues.

Good Luck!

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:19 PM   #6
flyfishinsteve64

Send a message via Yahoo to flyfishinsteve64
Watch out for Electrolysis. If you steel anything connected to the aluminum No good

Good luck
Steve
flyfishinsteve64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:25 PM   #7
jorluivil

When I purchased my boat I hired a marine surveyor to inspect the boat, he checked all controls, the batteries, electronics, etc, etc, he also checked the humidity levels on the hull……it was a cheap price to pay for professional advice. In the 5 years or so that I owned the boat I never had any major issues with it, other than wear and tear the only time that I had to take it to a shop was when a weld broke on the shift arm, other than that it was fine for the years that I had it.

Over the years I did manage to do many and I mean many upgrades to my boat, I knew my boat better than I knew my wife. Personally, I don’t think boats are meant for people that are not hands on or are not mechanically inclined; I changed impellers, ripped out every single wire and upgraded my entire electrical system, I installed my own electronics, I changed leaf springs, upgraded by brake system to disk brakes, etc, etc. Anyway, back to your question…………hire someone or bring someone with you that has some knowledge. Ask to take the boat on a test drive (offer to pay for some of the fuel) and put the boat through the ringer because once it’s yours it’s your problem.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:52 PM   #8
Tslayer99
Commercial Fisherman

Thanks for the responses everyone, aside from patronizing remarks. I appreciate the thought out comments that a few of you addressed towards me, I'll post a pic if I purchase the vessel!
Old 06-06-2018, 07:38 AM   #9
goldenglory18

Quote:
Thanks for the responses everyone, aside from patronizing remarks. I appreciate the thought out comments that a few of you addressed towards me, I'll post a pic if I purchase the vessel!
LOL, welcome to the internet!
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:42 PM   #10
Amish Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
LOL, welcome to the internet!
Kenny's had his BWE welcome, he knows what he's talking about
Old 06-08-2018, 12:23 PM   #11
PapaDave

Quote:
I've redesigned and rebuilt my 20' CC twice now, going on a third soon. The equipment on the aluminum would be fairly easy to fix or replace. If it has cable steering look for rust and corrosion on the cables. I doubt it would be hydraulic but if so, look for leaks at the steering hub.

As for the electronics, it is very easy to rewire the boat if necessary. Look for green corrosion on the terminals, or rusted out terminals.

Hull, should be easy to check that, it's usually open. Look for weld spots that appear to be patches. And definitely take it out first.

The engine is where the money can stack up for repairs. Is it a two or four stroke? I prefer the four strokes myself, better gas mileage and less smoke. Look for corroded areas around the head and spark plug, check the rubber hoses. And try it out.

If you're really set on the boat and see any discrepancies you can use that to possibly weasel the price down.

I rebuilt a little fourteen footer before the CC, put a through hull live well on it. It was a sweet boat.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:33 PM   #12
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Ditch the Aluminum idea, and look for a used livingston and re-power it. There I said it.
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:26 AM   #13
Fiskadoro

I know a bit about aluminum boats. Feel free to PM me.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote