Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2014, 01:10 PM   #21
PapaDave

I had the same bull come up behind my kayak at the SI launch and checked me out. Came right up to the yak. Only had one eye.

Last Sunday at DP there were some idiots feeding a seal pup from the wall over by the dry dock. Guy actually climbed over the rail and was hand feeding the animal. I'm thinking, "just what we need"

Old 05-23-2014, 01:32 PM   #22
TJones

No pics equals bs

Whoops. . That's looks painful . Hope you are ok . Thanks for sharing . A little higher and he might have grabbed your jewels .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:52 PM   #23
bolocop

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadstoadsonly View Post
I am sorry guys but I feel bad for the seal after it bit me I think I gave it Rabies now he is screwed Lol.

I was going to say f it I dont need to go to the Doc but everyone was getting on my case the doctor said Sea Lions have very bad bacteria in their mouths and when bitten it could get serious. My wound was a little swollen and the doctor gave me some meds she said if it hurts or the swelling does not go down she is going to chop off my leg. JP She said I would have to come back and get some sort of shot. As of right now no swelling no paid the so I am assuming I am not going to die.
ToadX2, when you start barking like a seal and eating your fish whole and head first with no hands, don't say we didn't warn you! Jk
bolocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:22 PM   #24
DennisMorgan

I think we might be seeing the first of the zombie dogs! They won't stop! I see a new reality show gents....

BWE MEN ..... Fighting the dogs, waves and wind to pull spotties and the occasional butt...watch as they brave the coastal waters and win!!!
Old 05-24-2014, 06:59 AM   #25
driftwood

And some guys will still hang their fish over the side in the water.
I still say that's NUTS!!
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:27 AM   #26
taggermike

Sorry to hear about your dog encounter. Maybe it's time to get a bit more offensive in our defense with the dogs. Feeding sea lions? Talk about "paying it forward". You're gonna get the next guy hurt. If you want to feed sea lions get your ass to seaworld. I try never to feed sea lions. When I get a bait bitten in half I keep the head in the foot well and hold off dropping another bait back until I think the dog had gone away. I never keep fish in the water, on the deck, or in the tank well. They all go down the in the hatch.
Congrats on the nice triggers too. You see them around now and then, but a nice school is a rare find. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 10:27 AM   #27
captnblood34

I wouldn't hesitate to sink a gaff in a sea dog if it's to keep from them sinking teeth in me... chalk it up to paying it forward to the tax man.
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:35 PM   #28
ptn
Junior

Poor sea lion... J/K. Good thing it didn't get a hold of your leg. That would not have been a pretty scenario. Watching the school of fish was pretty fun.
ptn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 06:04 PM   #29
Baja_Traveler

Finescale Trigger are native to our neck of the woods. Not super common, but they are around. Must of run into a group of them assembling for the spring spawn...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 06:37 PM   #30
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnblood34 View Post
I wouldn't hesitate to sink a gaff in a sea dog if it's to keep from them sinking teeth in me... chalk it up to paying it forward to the tax man.
I second that!! I'd bring my pistol but don't want cop trouble, or rust in my gun. Time to get a spear gun!!
Old 05-24-2014, 09:36 PM   #31
Jaysuuun
Junior

Jonathan, that sucks to hear about the sea dog chomping your leg! I woulda been PISSSED! Glad to hear your leg hasn't fallen off. Like some of the others have replied, X2 on sinking a gaff into the dogs. Sorry Tess and I couldn't join you guys out there that day. When Peter told us about the plan, we felt it was just beyond our experience level. LOL. Nice job on the triggers! Cool looking fish.

Back to the seal subject... I wonder if pepper spray or mace would work on them? It's non lethal, safe and would prevent any accidental gaffing of your yak and body parts. Or, how bout training the dogs into thinking that taking baitfish from a boat/yak is a negative thing? Lure the seal in with a piece of baitfish and just before it takes it out of your hand give it a good whack over the top of the head with the back end of a gaff. Slingshot? Waterproof, compact, silent and plenty of ammo (sinkers/jigheads).

Okay that's enough, sorry if I offended any Seal lovers. They're adorable.

Jason

Last edited by Jaysuuun; 05-25-2014 at 05:41 AM.
Jaysuuun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:09 AM   #32
taggermike

Got to thinking' if you'd been bitten by a coyote, bob cat, mtn lion, badger, skunk, fox, possum, or even a squirrel it would bring a response from many officials. But seals and sea lions are sacred cow. If you get injured by a sea lion it's your fault for entering "their" environment. If a coyote bit you while you were in a public park it would be a crisis covered by every news out let. Guess we're on our own. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:00 PM   #33
Mr GreenJeans

County Animal Care Services will only respond to incidents that are reported to them. My guess is that this bite has not been reported to ACS. They would get psyched up for bats because rabies is all too common in bats. Psyched up for dog bites because they are so common and they have regulatory authority. Psyched up for mountain lions because they got their a$$es sued off years ago when a mountain lion tried to drag off a little girl. As a general rule, wild animals are mostly outside their purview.

If a bunch of people started reporting sea dawg bites, ACS, Harbor Patrol, state game and federal authorities would probably look into it and maybe hire a consultant to do a study or something. But without some reports of bites, it will be ignored.
Mr GreenJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:20 PM   #34
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

They need to make sea lions along the same dfg rules as coyotes!! Open all year, no bag limit!! Sea lions are a nuisance pest, over populated and dangerous, just like coyotes.

We'd have the tax man around to thin the herds if it weren't for that Santa Monica orca pod killing the great whites, scaring the rest off.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:47 AM   #35
Aaron&Julie

Self-defense applies to Sea Lions, too. If a Sea Lion were trying to board my yak, I'd swing for the fences, with whatever was most handy, club or gaff probably, with the hook up on the gaff. I don't need to gaff the seal, just knock some sense into it.

Nice trigger, I've also heard they are very good to eat.

Aaron