Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2014, 07:53 AM   #1
Hunters Pa

iPhone Case?

So i am finally joining the 21st century and got an iPhone 5s. Need advice on a waterproof case.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:00 AM   #2
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

I have a lifeproof case and have been happy with it. I know there are some that have had bad experiences, but I haven't as of yet. They have pretty good customer service as well. Another thing to think about is floatation. I purchased the life jacket for my case and am satisified. Waterproof is one thing, but if you drop it over the side of the yak, you better have it teathered or give it the ability to float. Just my two pennies. The fingerprint scanner doesn't work well with the case, but who needs fingerprint recognition anyway.
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:23 AM   #3
ptn
Junior

+1 on lifeproof case. Only put it on when I hit the water. It's bulky but does it's job. The plastic screen on the case sometimes gets annoying to press since you have to put actual pressure to touch the iphone screen.

Pros: Easy to take on and off. Pictures are pretty clear with it on. Keeps water from the iphone. Sounds are ok with case closed. Have to open the bottom somewhat if you don't want the mic muffled when you have a call.

Cons: Doesn't float when the phone is in it, bulky, somewhat annoying screen, no fingerprint scan, no padding on inside and straight onto plastic.
ptn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:47 AM   #4
momo fish

The new ones have fingerprint scan. I have one and always use it when on the water or at beach. Love it as it's best out there but I'm sure it could be improved. And buy a flotation case! Almost dropped mine in the water and you would be surprised how easy it is to drop in water.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:53 AM   #5
jorluivil

I have the Galaxy S3 Lifeproof case......................so far so good.

Same pros and cons as the guys above.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:42 AM   #6
MissileTM

I have the Lifeproof case and Lifejacket. Love it. Only issue is using the touch screen with wet fingers. Does not work that great, so I use my bluetooth headset and let SIRI take care of making calls for me.

I imagine if you were to tip and try to use it to make an emergency call with a wet screen you could have a huge problem without a headset, but that's what I carry my UHF/VHF radio for.
MissileTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:56 AM   #7
Dannowar

I've filmed a full on squid float with my life proof case no problem. 100 percent submerged. Never had a problem until I blew the seals off with compressed air, then they sent me a brand new one.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:35 AM   #8
AirborneYak

I've been wanting to do this, but I'm not sure how it will work in saltwater.
http://www.liquipel.com/shop/treatment/treat-my-phone/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
AirborneYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:42 AM   #9
chxh8me

Optrix case.
I've been down ~15 feet taking video with it. No problem. More expensive than Lifeproof, but more shock resistance and depth capability. And you can get several accessories for it, should you choose.
chxh8me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:50 AM   #10
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneYak View Post
I've been wanting to do this, but I'm not sure how it will work in saltwater.
http://www.liquipel.com/shop/treatment/treat-my-phone/

I thought about doing this before I purchased my Lifeproof case but decided against it. My main reason for this is due to the fact that once you replace a damaged or lost phone you will have to send it to get it coated, that's an additional $60 on top of the $60 that you already paid which does not include the $100 that you'll be paying to have your phone replaced.................that is if you have insurance on your phone.

Disclaimer: Liquipel applies a preventative coating designed to aid in the event of accidental liquid exposure, and assumes no responsibility for water damaged devices. Liquipel does not recommend your device ever come in contact with liquid.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:57 AM   #11
Hunters Pa

Thanks! Ordered the lifeproof and lifejacket
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:32 AM   #12
ful-rac
Emperor

good choice!
Old 05-08-2014, 01:16 PM   #13
AirborneYak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I thought about doing this before I purchased my Lifeproof case but decided against it. My main reason for this is due to the fact that once you replace a damaged or lost phone you will have to send it to get it coated, that's an additional $60 on top of the $60 that you already paid which does not include the $100 that you'll be paying to have your phone replaced.................that is if you have insurance on your phone.

Disclaimer: Liquipel applies a preventative coating designed to aid in the event of accidental liquid exposure, and assumes no responsibility for water damaged devices. Liquipel does not recommend your device ever come in contact with liquid.
I agree with you about getting it coated every time you replace a phone. Itll get pricey especially if you're a cluts like me. I just don't like something so bulky in my pocket and this is why my phone is usually case less. I'll be doing the liquipel treatment in the near future. I'll you guys know how it works out.

AirborneYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:06 PM   #14
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

I use one of those snack-sized double-seal ziplock bags, and leave a little extra air before sealing it up. A tiny bit of air inside a sealed container provides much more buoyancy than you think.

The phone still fits inside the PFD pockets, and is 100% waterproof even if you capsize in the surf at La Jolla and you/waders/PFD/everything gets soaked... don't ask how I know. I use a separate bag for my car keys/keyfob so they don't scratch up my phone.

It's cheap, and all the speakers/ports/gaps are protected. The touch-screen and speakers still work, at least it does with my MotoX, so you can listen to tunes while you're out on the water - just not with earbuds.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:42 AM   #15
Linglifter

Snow lizzard

Ive had 4 life proof cases and every time the rubber around the volume control wears out and leaks! Be care fule and always test it before submersion.

i highly recommend this one!
www.snowlizardproducts.com/cases

Sl extreme 5 solar powered
Linglifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:19 AM   #16
chxh8me

I've got a hardly used lifeproof case for a iphone 4 if anyone wants to buy it.

Last edited by chxh8me; 05-12-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:40 AM   #17
ful-rac
Emperor

Another thing that's worth mentioning is that there are a lot of counterfeit lifeproof cases out there that are even sold on amazon. You can usually tell when it costs $20 or $40 bucks. Yes it's too good to be true. The counterfeit ones have a lot of problems, and you will likely end up damaging your phone. Genuine lifeproof cases are around $80 bucks, usually bought from bestbuy or directly from lifeproof.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:35 AM   #18
chxh8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Genuine lifeproof cases are around $80 bucks, usually bought from bestbuy or directly from lifeproof.
Or from chxh8me for $30, who bought his directly from Lifeproof at the Fred Hall show 2 years ago, used it for a couple months, then bought an iphone 5 and no longer needed it, upon which it has been sitting in a drawer for over a year.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:59 AM   #19
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillyak View Post
I have a lifeproof case and have been happy with it. I know there are some that have had bad experiences, but I haven't as of yet. They have pretty good customer service as well. Another thing to think about is floatation. I purchased the life jacket for my case and am satisified. Waterproof is one thing, but if you drop it over the side of the yak, you better have it teathered or give it the ability to float. Just my two pennies. The fingerprint scanner doesn't work well with the case, but who needs fingerprint recognition anyway.
This isn’t the first time I’ve heard of Lifeproof owners having issues with the rubber buttons. Personally, I’ve never had that issue and I keep my phone in front pocket when it’s not in use or while I’m driving. The first case that I bought was exchanged due to a small crack right near the headphone plug, I’m guessing it must have cracked while I was opening/removing the case to clean it. As far as everything else goes, I haven’t have the rubber plug for the headphones or the little door that you have to crack open to charge the phone.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:16 AM   #20
Linglifter

http://www.snowlizardproducts.com/ca...d-battery.html
Linglifter is offline   Reply With Quote