Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 03:03 PM   #1
bellcon

Trident Fish Finder Help

Does anyone know which ff will fit in the "sonar shield" of the ocean trident kayak??
i was looking into the humminbird 717 and was told it doesn’t fit right
seems that ocean would have made it the right size for at least 1 particular model...
i have heard it is a 383 or 583 is this correct & are these any good?
what are good?? looking at a 3 -4 hundred $ budget + if worth it
just looking for some help...again >>
i will be using the through the hull transducer... and would like to at least have the option of using the shield...or i am going to give up and figure out a different mount...>>
thanks for any and all help>>
Don
bellcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:10 PM   #2
aguachico

Don;

I'm currently rigging my Trident. I placed my FF on a miniram mount on the right side of the sonar shield. I highly advise you NOT to use the sonar shield with the humminbird products. They are waterproof - yes. They float - yes. They are ipx7 - NO. They are not submersible.

By placing your Hbird above the deck, you will get many many years of troublefree service. Remove the head unit before launching and landing and store in a dry bag.

The problem lies more in the mount than the head unit. Having your mount permanently mounted below the deck is a bad idea... OK has a lot of bad ideas on a great hull. The corrision from the connectors on the mount will evetually affect your head unit and then you are screwed. I can only guess that the design engineer fishes fresh water, that's why they think they can actually store rods in the ROD POD. You can't fit saltwater rods in the damn thing.... don't get me started

I looked at other FF, but they suck. They picture just sucks for anything under $300. Hbird rocks and I'm sticking with them even though others have bailed.

I just buried my 300TX. It lasted a long long time. Hbird no longer replaces the 300tx head unit. So I upgraded yesterday. I got the 727 from West Marine. It was $50 more than the 717, but it's being taken out of the WM product list. I also order the quad thru hull xducer and will send the other back for a $59 refund.

I hope this helps. You can get the mini RAM mounts at AYS or online.

BTW: unscrew that stupid ass sonar shield and was the BOWL for other things like dikes, hooks, squid, cat food, trash, remote control or it makes a great pisser...

BTWW, that stupid cup holder works a lot better if reverse the hatch cover so your beer isn't resting on your nuts!!!

AC
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:13 PM   #3
bellcon

AC,
thanks for the info..."They are ipx7 - NO." what do you mean by that?...
my local west marine didnt have a 727, i will have to ask them about it.
i was worried about putting the ff in the "shield" you have confirmed my worries... nice idea by ocean but it wil get soaked.
on my tandem i have a piranhaMax and i have it mounted on a piece of cutting board that is on a removable scotty ff mount (i do just like you said and stow it in a bag on launch and landing)
will you be hooking gps up to your unit?
how do you protect your terminals after you disconect the ff?
did you order the transducer from west marine?
i like the cup holder reverse idea...
still think i will keep the lid at the sonar shield... for now
what else have you done?? i have added 2 flush mounts and 2 rams up front... taking my time (i have no time) and yet i want it done by yesterday
again thanks for the post...love to see some pics, i will post some soon
oh and i have only been out 3 times on the trident but was able to get the rods i used in the hull... i did take the reels off and put em in a bag
Don
Old 08-21-2007, 05:22 AM   #4
aguachico

Don;

"waterproof in accordance with IEC 529 IPX7. IEC 529 is a European system of test specification standards for classifying the degrees of protection provided by the enclosures of electrical equipment. An IPX7 designation means the GPS case can withstand accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes. An IPX8 designation is for continuous underwater use."

I have a base mount cap that adds protection to the terminals after the head unit is removed.... when i use it. Fresh water and dialectic grease. If your really anal, disconnect the battery after you remove the head unit.
http://www.humminbird.com/retail/cat...t+Cover&Page=1
I hope my old one fits the new one

My gps(garmin76) is on another mini-ramm mount (left side). I like the ram mini rams because they are not too heavy, adjustable and removable. They do not handle saltwater very well and will corrode in about 3 years, but WTF can ya do? Eventually they will come out in graphite.

I've also added strps to both hatches so they are connected while open. I'll eventually post pics when I'm done with the upcoming retrofits. I'm moving and adding two additonal flush mounts behind the seat. I'm installiing a thru hull pump to the external bait tank.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:48 AM   #5
PAL

Quote:
I can only guess that the design engineer fishes fresh water, that's why they think they can actually store rods in the ROD POD. You can't fit saltwater rods in the damn thing.... don't get me started
What are you fishing with, Penn Internationals?

I've got nothing to say about the "Sonar Shield" but I've used the "Rod Pod" (ugh, goofy names) numerous times for my regular saltwater sticks with no problem at all. The largest is a TLD15 on a decent 7' Seeker and it fits in there fine.

I've stashed up to 4 rigs in there at once. Have you tried putting in them backwards (toward the stern)?
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:00 AM   #6
aguachico

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAL View Post
What are you fishing with, Penn Internationals?
I've stashed up to 4 rigs in there at once. Have you tried putting in them
backwards (toward the stern)?
Seeker grapihte rod. 7'6". 20-40# class sticks (no reels attached). The opening is too shallow for these rods requiring you to insert them guide first. It's easier to put the rods in the front hatch. My point being that the front hatch is a better ROD POD than the ROD POD. Always has been, always will be.

AC

Last edited by aguachico; 08-22-2007 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:36 AM   #7
PAL

Quote:
Seeker grapihte rod. 7'6". 20-40# class sticks (no reels attached). The opening is too shallow for these rods requiring you to insert them guide first.
Ah, got it - your rods don't fit in butt first. That would have been nice. I'm not bothered by putting them in tip first, right from the cockpit.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:42 PM   #8
Mr Mugu

How is the front hatch easier when you can go tips first reels attached through the rod pod? I think that was how it was intended from the first place.

As for the sonar shield, I never stow my sonar during surf launches(and I think we have a little more surf to deal with up here) and see no issues with the shield...it gets alot less splash than just leaving it up on deck.
With the shield I kept my sonar attached and powered for 2 weeks straight and 6 outtings, having just pulled it off last weekend.

Not using either of the 2 would negate the need to even have a Trident...no?
Mr Mugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:33 PM   #9
aguachico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mugu View Post
How is the front hatch easier when you can go tips first reels attached through the rod pod? I think that was how it was intended from the first place.

As for the sonar shield, I never stow my sonar during surf launches(and I think we have a little more surf to deal with up here) and see no issues with the shield...it gets alot less splash than just leaving it up on deck.
With the shield I kept my sonar attached and powered for 2 weeks straight and 6 outtings, having just pulled it off last weekend.

Not using either of the 2 would negate the need to even have a Trident...no?
I'm glad it works for ya and the big surf you have up there. Don't worry yourself about it if the ROD POD brings you such joy. My point is that I've sat in enough yaks to know how to rig them without any special design, salad bowl or rod pod.

Who said I dont use the rod pod or salad bowl? I use both very well and my yak is fucking tight. Lean mean fish killing machine, I'm just smart enough not to mount a humminbird below the deck.

See if it was such a great place to mount it, it wouldn't need a shield would it? Since the shield only blocks water coming from the bow, what do you do when it comes from port, aft or starboard? use your feet? lol
Old 08-22-2007, 08:12 PM   #10
aguachico

Don;

I just got my 727. I'm waiting for the transducer. Without needless hole drilling it doesn't look like it will fit. The GREATEST THING SINCE SLICE BREAD SONAR SHIElD ------- will not close.

Mr Mugu;

Bite me! so much for "humminbird compatible"
Old 08-23-2007, 09:56 PM   #11
bellcon

AC,
It looks like i am gonna give the 717 a try.
couldnt find a 727
still wondering about the matrix 12 and or the 141c
are you gonna hook up a gps antenna to your 727?
i see humminbird makes one for $99.99
or would you just hook up a hand held ?
or both?
Don
Old 08-24-2007, 05:39 AM   #12
aguachico

The 717 is a good unit, the only difference between it and the 727 is resolution. I use a Garmin 76 gps, which is also on a ram mount. Using the ram mounts has saved a lot of desk space. The smaller ones are lighter then the originals. I could use a front mounted rod holder, but I'm trying to keep the yak lean.

My xducer should arrive today. I plan to run it in the scrupper hole, but not permanently. I don't want to block 50% of my drainage and it would also mean that the FF base unit would be permanently mounted to the yak. That one of the things Hbird should change - I like the garmin approach. Connecting the cable (one cable) to the back of the head unit.

I'll post some pics soon.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:59 PM   #13
bellcon

AC,
excuse my ignorance...
when you say you use the garmin 76 gps... does that mean it is pluged into the back of your 727 ff ?
if so does that eliminate the need to have seperate antenna?
went to get the 717 from west marine today, they didnt have it, so they were gonna order it for me from another store... then when i ask about the transducer they said about 3 weeks for delivery... is that right??
3 weeks is too long
i got so frustrated dealing with the kid behind the counter i left
i will travel about 20 minutes down the road to the next westmarine.
also they didnt have a clue about the transducer exchange.... is that something we do on our own?
thanks for all the info
look forward to seeing some picks of your trident
Don
Old 08-25-2007, 01:34 AM   #14
aguachico

Don;

the Garmin 76 is a seperate handheld unit. I'm not familiar with the GPS module of the Hbird. I like the redundancy of seprate units.

The exchange program is with Hbird. You can either send the xducer in and they will send you the one you want(slow) or you can buy it up front and get a refund(quick).
Old 08-25-2007, 06:46 PM   #15
bellcon

AC,
i finally have my ff.
ended up getting a 737, i went to the long beach west marine and after all the blah blah blah with a pretty knowledgale guy... i got a great deal on it. it was a demo and i got it for 230.00
i did end up getting a mini ram and will see how that goes v.s the "salad bowl"
also i picked up the gps receiver (as gr 16) now to start drilling &cutting
i also ordered
the thru the hull transducer (model xpth 9 qb 90 p) directly from humminbird (web showed 2 that apply to the 737 (again confussed)
will worry about the exchange latter i guess
Old 08-26-2007, 06:28 PM   #16
aguachico

Damn good price. My 727 was $240. Be sure to extend the warranty. I'm working on a way to use the thruhulll xducer without a permanent mount.

I did notice the larger head unit needs to be tighten down on the ram mount. Dialectic grease all the connections prior to use, you'll love it.

Last edited by aguachico; 08-28-2007 at 08:03 AM.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:04 AM   #17
metalbob
King of Constipation

"hummingbird compatible" i wanna scrape that shit off my kayaklol going with the mini Ram myself due to the lack of mobility from the mount . I do store my head unit on Launch and landing ,i want this to last a little while,

Live and Learn...

Bobby
metalbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:03 PM   #18
aguachico

the quad beam xducer doen't work well on the left beam due to the depth of the xducer pocket. Oh well - guess compatible has an asterisk next to it.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:38 PM   #19
aguachico

Guys;

I think I;m going to use the fairing block to level out the Quadra Xducer. Anyone got a band saw?
Old 04-14-2008, 02:19 PM   #20
Damon
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguachico View Post
Damn good price. My 727 was $240. Be sure to extend the warranty. I'm working on a way to use the thruhulll xducer without a permanent mount.

I did notice the larger head unit needs to be tighten down on the ram mount. Dialectic grease all the connections prior to use, you'll love it.
Are you (or anybody else who has one) happy with the performance of your 727? How is it in the sun light?

Thanx?
Damon is offline   Reply With Quote