Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2008, 01:37 PM   #1
Dave I.

Summer YAK Shark trip!

Guys( and gals) I have been thinking about trying to catch a shark from my yak now for weeks. I know that this is slightly more that average danger rating, especially for a single yakker. So i figured i should as you guys if anyone else was interested. Make a day of it. maybe get someone with a boat to go with use to be a base station. paddle/peddle out a mile or 2, through a chum bucket attached to a float, wait and see what comes up.

This my first-time trying to set something like this up, so i have only a small idea of the logistics involved, but i am smart enough to ask you guys for help and participation.

I am thinking, mid to late May.

Dave
Dave I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:52 PM   #2
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

The T's will be in soon enough. Troll a Rapala and there's a good chance you'll get lucky... Who knows what else you'll pull in on it.
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:46 PM   #3
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

If you really want to catch a shark and don't care what kind, just fish for halibut . Leopards, angel sharks, shovelnose, batrays, anything but halibut will hit.

I would be very careful chumming for sharks from a kayak. Catching T sharks is easy when they are around, you don't need to chum. A mac or a plug dragged around will get them. Just be careful if you hook one in the tail with a plug. Don't get bitch slapped and keep the hook out of your own body.

Makos are a whole different problem entirely. I've reeled in two small ones to the kayak, and seen a few more closer than I would like. Not cool. Anything over about 50# can get scary fast. They like to chew on things, like swimsteps, kayaks, or whatever happens to be near them. They often charge the boat to see what hooked them. When there is chum in the water they get excited and will chew on anything.

Both species tend to jump. Let them run when they are green so they aren't jumping near you.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:49 PM   #4
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurden View Post
Both species tend to jump. Let them run when they are green so they aren't jumping near you.
Have somebody with a camera ready as well.

Also a sharp knife and rope are essentials too.
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:15 PM   #5
Handymansd
Ancient Member

I'll go! When, where, and do you have a shark suit I can borrow? A cage maybe?

Seriously, I'll go! It sounds like fun...Extreme fishing! I also want a bill fish when I have the Moolah and time to go.

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:34 PM   #6
madscientist

Troll rapalas at sunset for the next few months and you will hook more pup makos than you ever wanted. Use a wire leader or it'll get expensive. Or, as the other guys said, just wait for the T's to get here. Dead squid or sardine on the bottom near the kelp can get you a soupfin or smooth hound.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:08 PM   #7
Dave I.

Really looking for a 100+lb Thresher or a Mako, Since i have never caught either, i asked for help, seriously, i won't try this by myself.

So trolling a rapala outside the kelp, huh? Which rapala, magnums or saltwater X-raps?

Dave
Old 04-02-2008, 08:45 PM   #8
JrBasser

the magnum will be much more heavy duty. A rapala magnum cd-14 in blue mac has been my money bait for many different species.

A Knife is ESSENTIAL, but as Brinkman will tell you, it doesnt have to be too sharp ;-)

I'd be down to go. About a month or two more and the pup T's will be infesting LJ. Hopefully. I'd say your safest bet for a 100 pound shark would be a thresher. They have that tail, but a much smaller mouth and less teeth to worry about, as well as a little tamer. Use about 40, 50 pound line, a heavy duty swivel, 100 pound floro leader crimped to the swivel and a large hook with a big mac on it. Too many smaller sharks will grab the rapala first. Not to say a big one won't grab it, but you get the idea. put a couple slashes in the macs sides to get a blood trail goin and have fun.
JrBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:49 PM   #9
SHARK BAIT

IM IN!! TIME PLACE?
SHARK BAIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:02 PM   #10
Minix008

sunset threshers

Id like to troll around sunset where specifically could i launch out to catch some pup threshers for fun. Where in sunset should i troll and how far out? ill probably be on my skiff since my kayak might be sold by then or ill rent one. Any comments appreciated

Nick
Minix008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:17 AM   #11
Dave I.

First date will be late May,
23,24,30 or 31. Friday afternoons or all day saturdays. I need another week or two for schedule lock down.

I also want to make sure i know exact what i'm supposed to do when i finally hook into a big fish. I like my fingers, arms and muscle mass right were it is, no mistakes.

Dave
Old 04-03-2008, 06:20 AM   #12
FISHIONADO

Very ambitious, you are smart to ask for help. Could be similar to learning to ride a bicycle in the fast lane of the freeway. Be careful out there and good luck.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:45 AM   #13
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave I. View Post
I like my fingers, arms and muscle mass right were it is, no mistakes.

Dave
Then I would not try and keep a mako on a kayak, period. I don't think I phrased it strongly enough the first time. Afishianados comment is right on.

Mako sharks are unpredictable and scary on a boat. Mako sharks from the kayak are even worse. They like to chew on things, even while hooked. I'm sure if you google it you can find images of of boats with makos chewing on the boat, swimstep, motor, or chumbags.

The risk reward ratio is a little off for keeping any mako over pup size. Not saying it can't be done in a safe way, but is it worth it? I leave makos to boaters.

One of the more famous pics of a mako jumping:

This one tried to chew on Tmans boat before he cut it free.

This one ripped the dehooking device out of my hands a couple times trying to get my iron back. I thought it might lunge or jump into the boat. It was scary and this one was only ~50#.

This one was only about 8#, I felt I could have kept it without getting hurt, but what's the point of keeping one this small.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:18 AM   #14
esdees
The Good Clone

Threshers are easy to deal with because they wear themselves out during the fight. When fighting, landing, and releasing threshers, I've never had a problem or felt like I was in any danger. They do jump, but only early in the fight.

Makos are a very different story. They seem to go wherever they are pulled, meaning they come straight to you when you hook them and they don't wear themselves out. When I used a bait tube, makos would come out of nowhere and start chewing on it (this happened at least three times). They also like to jump, but sporadically.

I've only hooked one hammerhead and that was the best fight I've ever had from a kayak. That's the only time that I've ever needed to splash water on my reel to cool it off (except for that one sealion, but those don't count).

If you end up catching a big shark, I would recommend that you release it. There is only so much weight you can carry on a kayak and you will NOT be able to drag it behind you (keyword: drag), unless you don't mind going half a mile an hour (or less). Makos and threshers are tasty. I've never tried them, but blues and hammerheads are supposed to be bad. I don't know about the other sharks.

Good luck. I'll make at least one shark trip this year.
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:32 AM   #15
Dave I.

tylerdurden, thanks for the pics! AND the extra healthy respect for mako's. If we have a boat with us, I would like to keep a big one, but if not pics of the fight and a release is good for me. I do want a keepable T for dinner though.

Again thanks for the input.

Dave
Old 04-03-2008, 09:05 AM   #16
LITTLE_NEMO

Well I am in just let me know the time and date
LITTLE_NEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:27 AM   #17
madscientist

I think catching a shark from the yak is something everyone needs to get out of their system at least once, but it is kind of a letdown. It sounds so exciting but the reality is often pretty boring. A big YT will give you a much more exciting fight. Mouth hooked T's tend to come right to the boat and then just dog you. Tail hooked T's tow until they die, then you have to lever them up from the bottom.

Tyler said all that needs to be said about makos. They are pure evil. I love and respect those fish. Even with the utmost care it is a risky proposition. If you have a support boat you might as well just fish from it and save yourself the hassle. LJ is obviously a nursery for makos and I personally don't like to target the pups, though I will toss an iron at one if I see it.

The most exciting shark hookups I've had have come when I wasn't trying for them. Spend enough time fishing LJ for YT and you will get into a shark or two.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:40 PM   #18
lamb

that pic that Tyler took os probably one of the coolest of all times.

Sharks?

No thanks.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:10 PM   #19
Minix008

fish

i usually fish out of alamitos, is there any thresers around that area not too far of a paddle?
Minix008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:11 PM   #20
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb View Post
that pic that Tyler took os probably one of the coolest of all times.
I think my favorite pic is of Brad w/ thresher on & w/ hot dogs on... the 4th of july?

Classic!

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote