Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-20-2008, 09:19 AM   #1
Gitrevan
Junior

Overflowing kayatank

First time out with the new center hatch kayatank on my extreme. Once I put some bait in the tank the water would overflow everytime the pump would come on. The outflow exhaust was clear, nothing clogged in it. Anybody else with a similar issue...
Gitrevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:36 AM   #2
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Same thing happens on the prowler. A little water spills out of the top when the pump comes on. Sounds normal to me.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:45 AM   #3
sdcityboy

i have the center hatch kayatank on my extreme and it fills to about an inch below surface with no overflow. do you have a timer switch? i think mine is on for 7 secs and off for 14.
sdcityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 12:51 PM   #4
Gitrevan
Junior

My timer switch is the 7 second on 14 off.
Gitrevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 03:20 PM   #5
dgax65
Guerro Grande

They also sell a time that is on for 3 seconds and off for 17.
http://www.anglersyakshack.com/Merch...ory_Code=Elect
That might give the tank a little time to drain before the pump kicks on again.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:16 AM   #6
buki

You should contact Kayatank to resolve this.

Another option is to add a power resister in series to reduce the current going to your pump. Reducing the current will slow down the motor and you will have less water in your tank during the on time. Let me know if you are interested in giving it a try and I'll give you more information.

I don't use this method, I have a programmable circuit that allows me to control the speed and the on off time.
buki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:03 AM   #7
lamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by buki View Post
I have a programmable circuit that allows me to control the speed and the on off time.
That sounds cool. Is it something available on the market or it is custom made?
Old 04-21-2008, 07:34 AM   #8
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Adi
You can buy a DC motor speed control kit at Willy's Electronics. There are several similar kits on the market. Most are pulse width modulators that you build yourself. I got one for the bait tank that I made for my Prowler. I never used it because it was too large and wouldn't fit the battery box. I think I still have it floating around somewhere. Got a soldering iron and some spare time?

The 7-14 works well on the Kayatank in my X-Factor; no overflows. I've also got a 3-17 switch that I was thinking about installing with a selector switch. That would allow me to select either a high or low flow, depending on the size and number of bait in the tank. Another project for a rainy day.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:51 AM   #9
Iceman
Administrator

Tom, my Extreme tank fills to below the rim, let me know if you want to try swapping out the timer for the 3-17 and I'll take care of it for you.

Andy
Old 04-21-2008, 08:37 AM   #10
kareem korn

I don't have a kayatank but, I did have too much flow. I removed the housing, turned on the pump and held a file lightly against the impellar and shaved it down alittle. Now it's perfect.
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:16 AM   #11
buki

I worked on a motor controller project that used a programmable micro-controller with some motor drive circuitry. I converted a spare board for my kayatank. This is a custom board and can't be bought at a store. The nice thing about this board is that it's software programmable. With software, I can easily change the on off time and motor speed.
buki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:40 AM   #12
aguachico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitrevan View Post
First time out with the new center hatch kayatank on my extreme. Once I put some bait in the tank the water would overflow everytime the pump would come on. The outflow exhaust was clear, nothing clogged in it. Anybody else with a similar issue...
That's too bad about your tank. The eXtreme kayaktank should always go in the rear. The logic behind is having the tank in front of you and not having to turn around to get bait is such a load of crap.
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:46 PM   #13
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguachico View Post
The logic behind is having the tank in front of you and not having to turn around to get bait is such a load of crap.

While acknowledging you've been doing this a bit longer than me, having done both I have to respectfully disagree. It's pretty convenient to pull up a sabiki with one or multiple baits attached and be able to grab the hook and shake them off one by one, dropping them into the tank in front of you. This effectively minimizes handling of the bait as well as making them easier to grab when you need one. This setup isn't going to put you on more fish but it does streamline the bait making process as a whole.

It's really not that big of a deal if the reverse isn't a problem for you but given the choice, and it wouldn't affect the mechanics of the tank, I'd always choose having the tank in front of me. But to each his own.
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:31 PM   #14
dgax65
Guerro Grande

I could see some advantages to having the Kayatank behind the seat. You would still have the center hatch for storage, the thru-hull plumbing would be in a better position and it would move the CG to the rear. But there are just as many reasons to keep it in the center hatch. It really comes down to personal preference. My back injury has limited my ability to turn around in the seat, so having the tank in the center hatch is the best option for me.

Whatever works for you is the best option.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:05 PM   #15
sdcityboy

it's simple. bait in front. lunch in back. if it were opposite i'd never get any fishing done!
sdcityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:37 PM   #16
Iceman
Administrator

oh I thought it was liquor in the front and poker in the back
Old 04-21-2008, 04:57 PM   #17
Dan W.

I bought an adjustable timer switch from Cabelas. Its on for 30 seconds and has an adjustable off cycle from 0-@ 5 minutes. $30.
Dan W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:06 PM   #18
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
oh I thought it was liquor in the front and poker in the back

No No... Business in the front, party in the back.
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:03 PM   #19
aguachico

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbrinkman View Post
But to each his own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgax65 View Post
Whatever works for you is the best option.
Yeah you guys are probably right. It's more of a personal preference.

Both of you both own extremes. right?

It's just that the rear hatch is a few inches higher, if memory serves me correctly, making the whole issue moot. You can run the pump continuously and it doesn't overflow. The center tank is a marketing thing, like rod pods and sonar shields. If you ownan xfactor, then the rear hatch is not an option since it has the fucked up hatch on an angle. Never understood that design either.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:07 PM   #20
aguachico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan W. View Post
I bought an adjustable timer switch from Cabelas. Its on for 30 seconds and has an adjustable off cycle from 0-@ 5 minutes. $30.

Dan; that timer is great. Too bad it isn't water proof. It's designed for a console of a boat, that is unless they changed the design. If it is the same one, I went thru 3 of them, the inevitable salt water intrusion has begun...