Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
jorluivil

A Rockfishing 'Must Have'

I bought one of these roughly 4years ago, still works like new. If you fish for rockfish often I would strongly suggest you get yourself one of these.

http://www.ventafish.com/advantage.idc

The State-of-the-Art VENTAFISH™ was designed by avid recreational fishermen looking to conserve our fisheries for generations to come while keeping anglers safe. See how the VENTAFISH™ matches up against the competition!
State of the Art

Each component of the VENTAFISH™ was designed with a specific purpose in mind; safety, ease of use, durability, and effectiveness (per state and federal law)*.

The VENTAFISH™ combines the latest in structural technology to provide a strong and durable tool that will last for years. We have combined this state-of-the-art design with the world's finest UV stabilized materials made specifically for the marine environment.

After hundreds of hours of research and design, we are excited to share this state-of-the-art sportsman's tool with each of you! The VENTAFISH™ is a tool no angler should be without.
Easy and Safe

How do we vent escaping air through the VENTAFISH™ without the flow being obstructed by the angler's hand?

How do we ensure the VENTAFISH™ is easy to use when you are offshore and seas are 4-6 feet? After thoughtful consideration, we placed the vent holes at the front of the VENTAFISH™. This state of the art design feature ensures the anglers hand will not obstruct the flow of air during use. We placed 3 vent holes on each side of the VENTAFISH™ to allow for the quick diffusion of the fish's swim bladder.

The inclusion of a true 45 degree front end made the tool easy to use. An angler need only ensure the front end of the VENTAFISH™ is parallel to the fish in the appropriate location (see instructions here). By doing this, the angler ensures the needle penetrates the fish at the STATE AND FEDERALLY REQUIRED* 45 degree angle behind the pectoral fin.

Unlike some other fish venting tools on the market today, you don't have to guess what a 45 degree angle is when trying to vent a fish. Feel confident when you get stopped by a wildlife officer on the water - your VENTAFISH™ meets all state and federal regulations!

The VENTAFISH™ ensures you meet STATE AND FEDERAL REGULATIONS every time you are on the water! The result of our research and development is a state of the art, patent pending design that is both safe for anglers and effective on fish of all species and sizes (when venting is needed).

Needle Easily Changed - Don't Buy Another Unit!

The needle gauge and length used to vent a fish is of critical importance for a variety of reasons:

1. The amount of damage done to the fish during the venting process (type of needle and length)

2. The amount of time it takes to vent the air bladder (gauge of the needle)

3. The ease of use when replacing the needle once it begins to dull (from repeated use)

We also took into account the recommendations of some of the leading research and scientific literature on the subject of venting techniques. Some researchers, biologists, and conservation agencies have determined that a needle larger than 16 gauge may cause undue damage to the fish while providing little, if any, additional benefit. New state and federal regulations* specifically reccommend the use of a 16 gauge hypodermic needle assembly.
The result of our research led us to use a PROVEN medical grade, non-sterile hypodermic 16 gauge needle approximately 1.5 inches in length. The needle interfaces with the unit via the universally accepted luer connector. Some other units on the market may claim their needle is better than a hypodermic needle, however medical grade hypodermic needles have a proven track record. Some other fish venting tools have not proven their needles have improved upon this proven medical technology. As a convenience to our fellow anglers, we are offering these PROVEN hypodermic replacement needles through our website."

When a needle begins to dull from repeated use, it is sometimes easier and more effective to replace the entire needle assembly. Some other venting tool on the market today do not allow you to replace the needle assembly. Some tools require that you grind the needle down to a new, sharp point with a steel file or similar sharpening device. This process may be unsafe for the angler and may not ensure the proper leading edge and bevel is maintained. Failure to grind a competitor's needle edge to the proper bevel may dramatically reduce the effectiveness of the tool and may place future fish in danger of being unduly injured during the venting process (coring or removing a piece of the fishes flesh). Once some of our competitors' needles have dulled (sometimes within one summer season depending on the amount of use - not proven by independent tests) they require costly replacement of the entire venting or fizzing tool.

The VENTAFISH™ design ensures anglers can easily acquire and safely replace the needle virtually anytime.

Separates Easily For Quick Cleaning

The VENTAFISH™ disjoints in the middle and allows the angler to easily and safely replace dull needles. Our design also allows for easy cleaning of the tool. Simply disjoint the VENTAFISH™, place both parts in a cup or bucket of mild, soapy detergent or diluted bleach solution for safe and effective cleaning. We used only the highest grade UV stabilized polymers to ensure harsh cleaning chemicals would not erode the look or structural integrity of the VENTAFISH™. You only have to buy the VENTAFISH™ once!
Safely Store Your VENTAFISH™

Safety was our number one priority while designing the VENTAFISH™. We have included a high impact, clear polycarbonate cap to ensure no accidental stickings take place while the unit is being stored or transported.

When engaged, the cap prevents the external plunger assembly from being pressed down. This completely eliminates the chance the needle will be engaged during storage or transport.

The cap includes a molded clip that allows you to safely store and securely transport the VENTAFISH™ on your person without any fancy or costly holsters.

Easily and Safely Handled

Have you ever tried to use an all-metal or plastic tool (no grip included) aboard your boat when your hands are wet and slimy? We have and it's not something we like doing either! We took this into account during the design process.

Our solution to this common, unsafe, and annoying problem was the inclusion of an oversized rubber grip. Even when your hands are slimy, you can use the VENTAFISH™ with confidence! Gripped properly, you do not have to worry about the VENTAFISH™ sliding out of your hand and falling overboard. More importantly, you do not have to worry about the tool slipping while you are in the process of venting a fish (causing possible undue damage).
We have highlighted this grip in cobalt blue so it stands out against the rest of the tool. Grip your VENTAFISH™ with confidence everytime!

HOW THE VENTAFISH™ MATCHES UP AGAINST THE COMPETITION

Product Feature Comparsion VENTAFISH™
$14.99
Competitor #1
$23.99
Competitor #2
$57.00
Competitor #3
$14.99
Competitor #4
$24.95
Competitor #5
$14.99
Meets ALL State and Federal Requirements*
(product specific requirements in bold)
Hollow instrument*
Law recommended 16 gauge needle*
Easily and consistently inserted into the fish at a 45-degree angle*
Needle can be replaced - Does not require grinding of exisiting needle or purchase of a new tool
Unit Separates for Easy Cleaning
Angler Safety Features Included; Unit does not lock needle into place to avoid accidental stabbings
Needle Length at full deployment equals recommended 1.5 inches
Needle's leading edge is made from PROVEN technology; medical grade hypodermics
Does not remove protective slime coat from fish when used according to instructions
Can be stored on your person safely without the use or purchase of a separate pouch or holder
Rubber or similar grip to prevent anglers hand from slipping off the unit while hands are wet
Made of High Quality, UV Stabilized Plastics

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
blitzburgh

I looked at these before and was going to get one and then I read this on the DFG website;

"VENTING: A sharp needle or steel cannula is used to puncture a fish’s inflated swim bladder.
The California Department of Fish and Game does not currently encourage venting as it can cause
serious injury to fish and angler
. You may accidentally puncture the wrong organ and/or introduce
infection. Even when done properly, venting damages a fish’s swim bladder."

IDK
Old 11-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
I looked at these before and was going to get one and then I read this on the DFG website;

"VENTING: A sharp needle or steel cannula is used to puncture a fish’s inflated swim bladder.
The California Department of Fish and Game does not currently encourage venting as it can cause
serious injury to fish and angler
. You may accidentally puncture the wrong organ and/or introduce
infection. Even when done properly, venting damages a fish’s swim bladder."

IDK

You don't puncture the swim bladder, as a matter of fact the needle never doesn't come close to the fishes mouth.

http://www.ventafish.com/instructions.idc

Best practices in fish venting call for venting the fish as quickly as possible while handling the fish minimally.
STEP 1: Hold the fish gently but firmly on its side. Place your VENTAFISH™ tool with the 45 degree front end approximately 1-2 inches from the base of the pectoral fin.
STEP 2: After removing the saftey cap, slowly depress the plunger. The needle will penetrate the fish as you depress the plunger. Your VENTAFISH™ is designed so that it will not lock into place. Only depress the plunger enough to release the gases. The sound of the escaping air and deflation will be noticeable.
STEP 3: Return the vented fish to the water as soon as possible. If the fish is slow to respond, try reviving it by holding it with its head pointed downward while moving it back and forth to restore the circulation of water over the gills. Continue until the fish i

Old 11-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
MrPatrick

Bladder

If you are referring to the organ sticking out of a baro-traumatized fishes mouth, that is its stomach. Pushed out of the body by the expanded swim bladder.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPatrick View Post
If you are referring to the organ sticking out of a baro-traumatized fishes mouth, that is its stomach. Pushed out of the body by the expanded swim bladder.

">

Old 11-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #6
jorluivil

I could be wrong but I believe what they don't want you to do is puncture the stomach with any sort of tool which is very common. The venting tool goes into the fishes stomach area but as far as I know it never touches/punctures the stomach.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:38 AM   #7
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I could be wrong but I believe what they don't want you to do is puncture the stomach with any sort of tool which is very common. The venting tool goes into the fishes stomach area but as far as I know it never touches/punctures the stomach.
Let us know how well it works for you. I for one would like the ability to send back the small fries in good health.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #8
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Well, you're obviously puncturing something!!!! Which is never good... seriously... there are easier more effective ways to let rockfish go. But yes thanks for bring this topic up....

There are SEVERAL new devices on the market which allow you to release undesired rock fish back at depth with OUT puncturing them (where ever that might be). These devices are simple in concept and simple to use.

The most obvious problem with barotrauma (what happens to fish when they are reeled from deep water to the surface) is most fish can't swim back to deeper water on their own. If they could they would recove for the most parts on their own. But as it turns out all the air that expanded from their swim bladders makes it hard for them to swim down. It seems that all fish need sometimes is a little help.

Recent studies have shown that if you send fish back down to deep water and let them go they often survive. The problem is, how do you release fish in deep water (where they LIVE)?

There are several products available that can successfully release fish at depth.

http://www.saltwatersportsman.com/te...ps/seaqualizer

http://theseaqualizer.com/SeaQualize...e/Welcome.html

http://www.ecoleeser.com/

These devices are recommended over the old fashioned puncture method. I saw them ALL at the Fred Hall show and they ALL work...

or if you can't buy those products you can simply crush a barb on one of your hooks, send the the fish down, and then jerk the rod tip up thereby releasing the fish at depth..... all on your own.

This link provided information on a study conducted last year by scientist in La Jolla.

http://swfsc.noaa.gov/barotrauma/

Click on the link and watch the video!

Last edited by dos ballenas; 11-13-2012 at 08:39 AM.
dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:28 AM   #9
kareem korn

A milk crate with 100' of rope works better.
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:35 AM   #10
dos ballenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kareem korn View Post
A milk crate with 100' of rope works better.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:36 AM   #11
TJones

i like the the milk crate idea ( or weighting the fish back down)

i have to give credit. way to go for trying. atleast someone is thinking about conservation and making an attempt , right or wrong.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:47 PM   #12
Mackerel Masher
Junior

When fishing for bottom dwellers I have a spare set-up ready go. Pretty much a single hook rockcod rig with the point on the hook cut off and rounded. I lip the fish with the hook pressed in his mouth and then put the reel in freespool with the other hand. The large sinker (1-2lb) on the end of the rig just tows the little guy back down. No jerking or popping a barbless hook out of the guy.

I have a vent on the boat too and have used it with about a 65% success rate. It sucks to see the fish swimming down only to have him pop back up again.

The sinker/hook method has been 100%.

P.E.T.A MEMBER
Portagee Euthanizing Terrified Albacore

Hamachi Girl
1981 23' Albacore Special
Mackerel Masher
Hobie Outback
Mackerel Masher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #13
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Just catch 5 and call it a day. Big or small they all tase the same.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #14
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
Just catch 5 and call it a day. Big or small they all tase the same.

The Asians' preferred rockfish venting tool:

addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #15
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

use a small upside-down crate with weights tied on each corner. have a rope tied in the middle.. put fish in water (its floating still). put crate over fish. lower it 20-50ft. let sit for a second or two. raise back up.. FISH HAS SWAM DOWN!
Old 11-14-2012, 09:01 AM   #16
GregAndrew

Interesting study Owyn. But, why did they pick 150 - 180 meters for there depth sampling? 360' was as deep as we could fish, and now it is only 300'. Good to see that they were having at least some success at those depths though (even with severe eye bloating). I don't think we are going to see a lot of kayakers carrying an extra milk crate with large weights attached to each corner. I like the upside down barbless hook tied to the line with a snell type knot myself. Although the pressure sensitive release has got to be the most effective, short of a doored cage.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:24 AM   #17
dos ballenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Interesting study Owyn. But, why did they pick 150 - 180 meters for there depth sampling? 360' was as deep as we could fish, and now it is only 300'. Good to see that they were having at least some success at those depths though (even with severe eye bloating). I don't think we are going to see a lot of kayakers carrying an extra milk crate with large weights attached to each corner. I like the upside down barbless hook tied to the line with a snell type knot myself. Although the pressure sensitive release has got to be the most effective, short of a doored cage.
Yeah the seaqualizer is the shit.... but it costs a lot.

Cheap is good IMO.

They chose those depths because they wanted to explore lots of possibilities. As in the possibility that they might be able to OPEN UP closed areas.... or deeper water areas....!!!!

Being able to successfully release fish that survive changes everything. It means that recreational anglers could potentially fish in deeper water. The main reason rec anglers aren't allowed to fish deep water is because there are several species that are found in deep water that are prohibited. There are prohibitted species for lots of reasons.

If you can make the arguement that cow cod (a prohibited species) can successfully be released, then you can start talking about opening up cow cod closure areas.... make sense?

Old 11-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #18
Jimmyz123

I've seen some use a 2# test leader hooked to the lip of the fish lowered back down with a heavy weight and when deep enough a quick tug on the rod snaps the line from the hook and the fish swims on. However I do like the milk crate idea.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:22 AM   #19
Fiskadoro

Good Lord. The last thing I want is a dirty needle on my kayak.

I just use an easy to make rockfish release rig.
Rather then explain it I just made you guys a jpg.

Not brain surgery but here's a couple of points:

I run this rig on it's own rod with straight thirty mono. I usually use a 12 ounce sinker, and leave the rod in freespool in a holder with the clicker on. When I get a fish I don't want I hook point down through both lips then just drop it. With the clicker on it goes down at a relatively moderate rate. As soon as the clicker stops I throw it in gear and take maybe five cranks to get the fish off, and the weight off the bottom.

As the rockfish sinks it will pull away from you out of your fishing zone on the bottom do to the drift. That said if the drifts slow as soon as the fish is off the weight will cause it to swing towards you. A couple of times this became an issue when I was hooked to big fish, and did not have time to reel in the release rig. I run spectra on my fishing rigs, I like to run the release rig on thirty mono because it tends to keep it further away out from my strike/fishing zone, and it's easier to untangle if a fish wraps into it.

Another weird problem I've had is occasionally sharks or possibly big lings will attack the fish on the way down. Just reel and they come loose but a few times I've had them come back and hit the weight like it's an Iron and bite it off. I know it sounds crazy but it does happen, and if you only have one heavy weight it kind of ruins your day. I used to use fairly light mono for the weight in case of hangups, but I switched to spectra, and it's not been a problem since then as spectra doesn't cut very easily.

I can appreciate the idea of your needle device. It's supposed to save fish. However my take is if your poking holes in fish and dropping them over the side of the boat their rate of survival can't be that great.

Rockfish are territorial bottom dwellers. They are not used to swimming in open water. I mean when you have them up top they are hurt, have the bends, maybe blinded, probably extremely disoriented and they still have to still swim down several hundred feet to find their structure again once you release them on the surface.

Hook them and drop them with the rig and they are released at the right depth right back on bottom structure.

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rockfishreleaserig.jpg (55.0 KB, 149 views)

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 11-14-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:55 AM   #20
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskadoro View Post
Rather then explain it I just made you guys a gif.
Jim I don't see the gif img. I think I get it but would like to see your rig.