Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
Mackerel Masher
Junior

Shelter Island: 10/20/12 De-Skunkin'

Spent some time with the family down on Shelter Island on Saturday. Cruddy weather but still had a great time.

Nephew got a head start on us with a short Hali and Juvinile WSB (no pics yet and YES released of course).

Fished east of the ramp for a bit then the boss starts calling for an assist. First fish from her new Revo 11.

Now that she's all stoked up I gotta get some of the bad Juju (or maybe it's mold release) off my OB. I drag some more plastic through the grass and booyah... oh yeah.

He goes back in the water and a couple more casts and I got another one. He goes back in and we head back to the family so they don't feel abandoned.

A little while later I'm tossing the same plastic from the beach (west of the ramp) and hook up another small spottie. I set the little dude back in the water and he goes and hides between my feet for a minute before he beats it to deeper water.

Spent a few hours on Sunday puttering around Lake Hodges (no fishing just trying not to be as much of fatass).

Can't wait to start hitting NW LJ and start picking up some girls:

tight lines,

P.E.T.A MEMBER
Portagee Euthanizing Terrified Albacore

Hamachi Girl
1981 23' Albacore Special
Mackerel Masher
Hobie Outback
Mackerel Masher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
jorluivil

Nice Hali!!!

I need to get out and get me one, its been a loooooong time since I fished for hali's!!!!

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
skrilla

Good stuff Allan welcome to BREW, I mean BWE.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #4
jgoertz
Junior

Nice first Post!
jgoertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:05 PM   #5
mtnbykr2

Congrats on the SI butt, legals are kinda hard to come by in there, but there
are big ones in there....welcome to the crew...
SI is one of my favs
Old 10-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #6
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

nice sheesh!

i want to hit lake hodges. how is it/
Old 10-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
Mackerel Masher
Junior

Awwww shucks... thanks for the welcome guys.

I've done most of my flattie fishing right off of IB in my boat. Usually some big girls there. Goertz tells me IB surf is a little big and gnarly to launch out of though. DHS/CBP gives me enough crap fishing down there in my boat, can't imagine what they would do with a beach landing in IB.

SB Bay is my backup if the wind picks up in IB. I've picked up plenty of good sized legals south of the bridge drifting the dropoffs of the main channel. That area SW of the SI Launch Ramp along NAS NI is good too if the tide/wind are right.

I'm really loving the way my OB fishes. It's so damn easy to adjust your drift and fish stuff I'd never think about in my boat. If I want to spend a few hours on the water it's no big deal vs. an all day affair to get the most out of pulling my boat down there from Escondido. Really looking forward to fishing the crap out of this thing. The boss says I can only fish the boat once a week, the yak counts as excercise not fishing.

I haven't soaked any worms at Hodges yet. I do try to cruise by structure and see a few boils. Last trip a saw somthing finning in near a bank. Coasted up on it all Ninja-like within casting distance no problem. Maybe tomorrow am I'll pay the extra $8 to fish + the $2 to launch. If I do I'll report back... keep in mind I've only freshwater fished once.

See ya at class tomorrow Len.

P.E.T.A MEMBER
Portagee Euthanizing Terrified Albacore

Hamachi Girl
1981 23' Albacore Special
Mackerel Masher
Hobie Outback
Mackerel Masher is offline   Reply With Quote