Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
Sdspeed

mother-ship idea

It looks like I may not be able to use a kayak to fish due to back issues. So i found this 18" center console with an economical outboard on it,bait tank,ice chest, gps/ff etc. what i was thinking was if i constructed padded racks to hang above the water line on each side to support a kayak and perhaps carry 1 more in the boat would it possible that the guys could get in and out of their kayaks without going swimming. That way i could stay on the boat and enjoy the fishing and company and the adventurous kayaker could go further out, fish and put the kayak back on-board and ride back to shore bragging about the one that got away !

would it work?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cc.jpg (45.7 KB, 322 views)
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
jorluivil

Unless you're planning on moving at 5kts the racks will have to be made out of something other than PVC. I don't think that hanging the racks on the port and starboard side will be able to support the kayak(s), the amount of force that is put on a boat when the bow hits a water will be to much for the pvc and there is a very good chance it will break. It would probably be a better idea to sell all your kayak gear and invest in a new tower for the boat.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Unless you're planning on moving at 5kts the racks will have to be made out of something other than PVC. I don't think that hanging the racks on the port and starboard side will be able to support the kayak(s), the amount of force that is put on a boat when the bow hits a water will be to much for the pvc and there is a very good chance it will break. It would probably be a better idea to sell all your kayak gear and invest in a new tower for the boat.
who said anything about PVC.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #4
Mongo Johnson

Alternate Mo' ship

27' Carolina Skiff -- The Kayak Mother Ship
Comfortable Seating for Six

Fully Coast Guard Equipped
Live Well
Motor Jack Plate for Shallow and Deep Water Fishing -- Runs in 12" Fully Loaded
GPS
VHF Marine Radio
Cellular Phone
Bimini Top for Shade
Iced Coolers and Island Music FM Stereo/CD!
Recommended for up to Six Anglers -- Bring the Whole Family
2 Hot Spiced deck girls optional
Old 12-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo Johnson View Post

27' Carolina Skiff -- The Kayak Mother Ship
Comfortable Seating for Six

Fully Coast Guard Equipped
Live Well
Motor Jack Plate for Shallow and Deep Water Fishing -- Runs in 12" Fully Loaded
GPS
VHF Marine Radio
Cellular Phone
Bimini Top for Shade
Iced Coolers and Island Music FM Stereo/CD!
Recommended for up to Six Anglers -- Bring the Whole Family
2 Hot Spiced deck girls optional
see this wasn't that tough of question
Old 12-18-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

You can tie the yaks down on the side of the boat if theres room.or lay em flat on the ground.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
jorluivil

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdspeed View Post
who said anything about PVC.
No one said it was, I was simply implying that you should make it out of something other than PVC. But what do I know about how a boat works, I've never owned.

or have I

Old 12-18-2012, 04:06 PM   #8
jorluivil

OK, all kidding aside. If you're planning on heading out in open water hanging them off the side regardless of whether you use aluminum or not will cause to much of a strain on the rack and the boat. I was a private boater for roughly six years, I know what it's like to be on a boat that is constantly pounding waves, crossing the Catalina Channel at 2pm is no joke. If my feet and boat took a beating from the constant pounding of the boat I can't imagine what kind of strain you would be putting on a rack that hangs over the side. I would recommend you just strap them to the bow, tow them or lean them on either side of the boat.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #9
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

maybe

Its a good idea but unless you only plan on 4 people fishing you better get a bigger boat. The weight of kayaks, racks and anglers is going to be a issue for a 18 foot boat.

Quote:
But what do I know about how a boat works, I've never owned.
or have I

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #10
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
Its a good idea but unless you only plan on 4 people fishing you better get a bigger boat. The weight of kayaks, racks and anglers is going to be a issue for a 18 foot boat.
Your right, I was just thinking me and 2 or 3 guys that want to fish from their kayaks. I was thinking of a rack that would most likely be resting on the gunnel not swinging from the side.

What I was wondering was can a angler get in and out of the kayak once your on site, I realize the Real Mothership uses a oversized swim step.

Just thought with a little engineering a few guys could go a little further out and I wouldn't have to fish alone. Not looking to start a business. just more Fun!
Old 12-18-2012, 05:44 PM   #11
dorado50

sounds like a million dollar idea to me....(why didn't I think of that!).you wil probably be booked 24/7
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:57 PM   #12
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
sounds like a million dollar idea to me....(why didn't I think of that!).you wil probably be booked 24/7
I wish I hadn't sold my 30' Sport Fisher
Old 12-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #13
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdspeed View Post
Just thought with a little engineering a few guys could go a little further out and I wouldn't have to fish alone. Not looking to start a business. just more Fun!
I'm in. Worst case we flip or sink, nothing I haven't done on my own.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

Old 12-18-2012, 06:06 PM   #14
Sdspeed

Quote:
I'm in. Worst case we flip or sink, nothing I haven't done on my own.
well if you could transport 2 or 3 kayaks out a ways, could the angler get in and out of it without the big extended swim step like on very large boats?

maybe a small swimstep on the back that they could use once their kayak is floating on it's own?

I'd even slow the boat down
Old 12-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #15
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

With 3 guys getting in and out of the yaks should be a prob. I have taken mine out on a friends boat over this summer to Cat and even the women and children were able to climb over the side to get in and out of the yak one or two of us would hold it while they boarded and a small shove and they were off coming in same thing but we had to lift the smaller kids.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:22 PM   #16
Sdspeed

Quote:
With 3 guys getting in and out of the yaks should be a prob. I have taken mine out on a friends boat over this summer to Cat and even the women and children were able to climb over the side to get in and out of the yak one or two of us would hold it while they boarded and a small shove and they were off coming in same thing but we had to lift the smaller kids.
well i think it could work with enough input, i have the resources available to build most anything but if i spend big money on a fancy boat it will end up being like my last one, a floating bar tied up to the dock
Old 12-18-2012, 06:46 PM   #17
MrPatrick

Mother ship

I would suggest that you maintain a max size limit on the yaks. Mini-x, trident 11, scrambler etc. This will allow you more room to get around the boat and will be safer to get in and off the water. Hmmmmmm...... I have two mini-x's.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #18
Mackerel Masher
Junior

Just a thought here... if you can't kayak fish due to back issues a 18' CC is exactly the last thing you want to get on. I've had the shit kicked outta me on my 23' plenty of times and it's a heavy ass boat.

Also I don't think it's going to be big enough with three anglers and two boats. As mentioned by another poster, racks would have to be beefy to sustain the pounding but also not rip the gunwale of the boat when you get douched by some a-hole's wake.

Here is my rig with two BWE members PA14s when we went to the 'nados. Sucked on the way out becuase I really couldn't see well to port. On the ride back we just stuck both PAs over the transom with the bows on the bait tank. Worked way better but didn't have much room and couldn't take leak over the side.

I'd say something like my 23' or a Skipjack 24 minimum. Just for the sake of your back man. Heavy is good when it's full Victory at Sea and you're down at the 1010.

Anyhew... my $.02

P.E.T.A MEMBER
Portagee Euthanizing Terrified Albacore

Hamachi Girl
1981 23' Albacore Special
Mackerel Masher
Hobie Outback
Mackerel Masher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #19
Deamon

Seems obvious the reason to do this would be to help share your fuel costs but I'd have to think a % of your time will be babysitting and taking on some liability. Yaks in or on the side of a boat loaded would require fairly good conditions both ways or stuff will get damaged (most guys want to get home as quickly as possible).

How far in distance would you leave (2) yak fisherman if the bird school's moving 5 knots up the line? I don't know how much shit I've broken up pounding after a school or even just riding home against a cross swell.

You can pretty much give up paddie hopping, chasing bird schools, putting out a pattern of jigs, stopping on a meter mark...might as well handcuff yourself if you're real intention is to put a bend in your rod...
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #20
Sdspeed

Skipjack or something simuliar to fish and save my back, works for me!
if my Doc's do their job I may get to kayak but if not I'm gonna think of a way to enjoy the sport and share the fun in the process.
I wouldn't tax the few gray cells on this site if I didn't think it could be done.
I'm making a list of the nay sayers!