Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
sdfishin..alex
Banned

la jolla report

went to lj in the got there at 6 to really high tide and intense surf...so i waited to see if they would calm down..while i was waiting a fellow yaker showed up cbad mike...we watched the waves for a while and two other yakers launched made it look easy...so i unloaded....launched 2 times first time mirage drive gets stuck in sand the starp that holds it up came loose...second time i went out but got hit by a wave and got soaked all the way down to my legs im sick on top of it all....i had waders on but forgot to secure the top so i said forget it ima head home play some video games call of duty if u wanna know...so i get home wife and daughters are still asleep its 8 by this time so im looking at the launch and its calmed down alot so i told my wife im heading back out get back to launch at 1030 with some dry clothes and ready to get on the water thinking to myself the fishing gods better hook me up since its my 3rd time launching...so i get out fine no problems at all...so i get past the reseve and think of the game plan yoyo around looking for a so im yoyo n catching buch of macks so i pin one on a dropper loop withing 2 min i get slammed im like hell yeah its gna b a good day on the water for 30 min already hooked up so im fighting this fish for bout 5 min hook pops bummer oh well missed my only chance for the day so i thought pin on another mack and drop her down id say 20 min reel goes off agian and its on getting towed around for a while and i pull up this bad boy not sure how big he is but its my first bsb....got that bad boy revived and off to the bottom he went...srry if theres any errors on the report had a looong day........................tight lines alex
Attached Images

sdfishin..alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #2
MattRabasco

Good catch and fun day. If you fish long enough in LJ you will end up hating BSB..Sometimes they will kick your butt both on the fight and on the release! Good luck finding that yellowtail.
MattRabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #3
mtnbykr2

way to keep at it on the launch, and the mojo for the cnr bsb...worth it all, plus you got to be towed around a bit for the same price, I would say that's a great day right there...
Old 01-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
sdfishin..alex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
way to keep at it on the launch, and the mojo for the cnr bsb...worth it all, plus you got to be towed around a bit for the same price, I would say that's a great day right there...
it was a great day indeed pulling on that beast made up for the ruff morning
Old 01-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
Deamon

Nice second wind and great catch! What a beautiful fish.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
JeffB

Cool! I saw you out there. I told Kram that I just knew it was you.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
sdfishin..alex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
Cool! I saw you out there. I told Kram that I just knew it was you.
where u guys on the water? yeah i been hitting lj up alot lately...we kneed to hit up lj when you get a chance
Old 01-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
janines.fishtales@cox.net

LJ

Ok guys, my New Year's resolution is to catch a YT on my kayak. I am so apprehensive about a surf launch but I wanna try! If you don't mind some company, let me know next time you are thinking LJ. I have no idea how to prepare the yak, but I'm sure I can figure it out with a little help! Nice day out there Alex.

Janine
janines.fishtales@cox.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:00 AM   #9
Cbad Mike

Good to see you made it out the second time.
I launched after you first left. While I was wading out timing the waves a big set came in and as I was backing up a little I tripped and got my back wet. Some water went down the back of my waders
I started again and watched the waves but as you know they were kinda unpredictable. When I thought it was good to go I went.
As soon as I committed the water turned into a washing machine
I kept my kayak heading in the right direction and got a face full of water punching though the second wave.
I was just on the verge of thinking I made it when I saw a big wave quickly forming in front of me. It broke and started pushing me backwards I kept paddling hard (I wasn't going to make the same mistake that I did in Carlsbad when I rolled backwards). I dug my paddle in a few times and made it through the whitewater.
I was wet and paddling my ass off when I saw a smaller wave beginning to crest with a very BIG one forming right behind it.
I remember saying "don't break, don't break" out loud as I paddled into it and up it. The front of my kayak was out of the water big time as I just made it over. As soon as it smacked down the very BIG wave that was behind it started to break . The full force of the wave came down between my feet and the front of my kayak. I instantly was under the water. It was like my kayak just got yanked out from underneath me.
I was completely under water and couldn't touch the bottom when I reached up and grabbed the side of my kayak. It didn't flip and was getting pulled backwards and I some how was able to grab the front handle before my head was even above the water. I knew without thinking to keep the the kayak between me and the beach so I wouldn't get hit by it. As another wave hit me I held on to the front handle as tight as I could and let the kayak pull me toward the beach and shallower water. In about 4 feet of water I got knocked off my feet by a wave but still held the front handle and popped up in about 2 feet. Every step I took felt like I had cement shoes on because my waders filled up with water. When I got onto the sand I realized that I still was holding my paddle, I never let it go.
A surfer grabbed my kayak from me and drug it up on the beach. He said "man, you got hit by a huge wave!" and all I could say was "yep" and thanks for the help.
I was exhausted! The legs of my waders were full of water and my sweat shirt weighed probably 20 pounds. It took me a little while sitting on the side of my kayak to catch my breath.
Anyway I really didn't have the option or energy to try again so I packed up and began my cold drive home.

To the guy who posted about losing his lucky hat at the launch the other day... I checked under the water for it but didn't see it.

Last edited by Cbad Mike; 01-09-2013 at 03:14 AM.
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:35 AM   #10
Ggiannig89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbad Mike View Post
I launched after you first left. While I was wading out timing the waves a big set came in and as I was backing up a little I tripped and got my back wet. Some water went down the back of my waders
I started again and watched the waves but as you know they were kinda unpredictable. When I thought it was good to go I went.
I kept my kayak heading in the right direction and got a face full of water punching though the second wave.
I was just on the verge of thinking I made it when I saw a big wave quickly forming in front of me. It broke and started pushing me backwards I kept paddling hard (I wasn't going to make the same mistake that I did in Carlsbad when I rolled backwards). I dug my paddle in a few times and made it through the whitewater.
I was wet and paddling my ass off when I saw a smaller wave beginning to crest with a very BIG one forming right behind it.
I remember saying "don't break, don't break" out loud as I paddled into it and up it. The front of my kayak was out of the water big time as I just made it over. As soon as it smacked down the very BIG wave that was behind it started to break . The full force of the wave came down between my feet and the front of my kayak. I instantly was under the water. It was like my kayak just got yanked out from underneath me.
I was completely under water and couldn't touch the bottom when I reached up and grabbed the side of my kayak. It didn't flip and was getting pulled backwards and I some how was able to grab the front handle before my head was even above the water. I knew without thinking to keep the the kayak between me and the beach so I wouldn't get hit by it. As another wave hit me I held on to the front handle as tight as I could and let the kayak pull me toward the beach and shallower water. In about 4 feet of water I got knocked off my feet by a wave but still held the front handle and popped up in about 2 feet. Every step I took felt like I had cement shoes on because my waders filled up with water. When I got onto the sand I realized that I still was holding my paddle, I never let it go.
A surfer grabbed my kayak from me and drug it up on the beach. He said "man, you got hit by a huge wave!" and all I could say was "yep" and thanks for the help.
I was exhausted! The legs of my waders were full of water and my sweat shirt weighed probably 20 pounds. It took me a little while sitting on the side of my kayak to catch my breath.
Anyway I really didn't have the option or energy to try again so I packed up and began my cold drive home.

To the guy who posted about losing his lucky hat at the launch the other day... I checked under the water for it but didn't see it.
This is terrifying! I know something like this is bound to happen to me, I just hope it never does
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:10 AM   #11
Dirty Curti

Quote:

Damn Bro, that's crazy! Was the GoPro running?

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:25 AM   #12
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:

Were you wearing a pfd or jacket over your waders? That and a belt is usually enough to keep them from filling up.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #13
f'nsabiki

"To the guy who posted about losing his lucky hat at the launch the other day... I checked under the water for it but didn't see it. "

very funny!!
f'nsabiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #14
Baja_Traveler

A cotton sweatshirt - the absolute worst thing one should wear kayaking. Go out and buy a cheap fleece jacket at ChinaMart or someplace - made from polypropylene and will not hold gallons of water, and retains its insulating properties when wet.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #15
Cbad Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggiannig89 View Post
This is terrifying! I know something like this is bound to happen to me, I just hope it never does
I'm not trying to scare anyone just telling what happened. Awhile ago I watched a video in which Jim Sammons was testing waders in a pool. Great video with him going under water without the waders filling up.
I think the reason I got so much water in mine was first, the force of the wave while under water "pushed" water down into them. Second, I was wearing a sweatshirt that was tucked into my waders creating gaps between the waders and myself.
As for wearing waders again..... I will. I will just be more careful about how tight the top is against ME and not a sweatshirt.
If you haven't already check out Jims wader video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Curti View Post
Damn Bro, that's crazy! Was the GoPro running?
No, not this time. Lol. I'd like to have more videos on YouTube of me catching fish not rolling. One is enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
Were you wearing a pfd or jacket over your waders? That and a belt is usually enough to keep them from filling up.
I ALWAYS wear my pfd! but like mentioned above I was wearing a sweatshirt tucked into my waders that made some gaps for water to get in. My pfd WAS and is ALWAYS on correctly with the straps tight and the zipper zipped so it doesn't ride up in the water. I also was wearing a belt but had the sweatshirt tucked into that also The belt is a streatchy kind and probably isn't the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
A cotton sweatshirt - the absolute worst thing one should wear kayaking. Go out and buy a cheap fleece jacket at ChinaMart or someplace - made from polypropylene and will not hold gallons of water, and retains its insulating properties when wet.
Ahh yes. A nice big, thick, and warm sweatshirt with a hood that feels like a cinder block around your neck when it gets wet. I won't be wearing it again.

I will still wear waders but will be careful about what I wear underneath. No more sweatshirts at least while launching. Under my waders I wear those stretch type pants that you see runners wearing. They keep me warm and don't hold moisture or in this case water. I would hate to imagine how yesterday would have ended if I was wearing sweat pants under my waders.

Mike
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #16
Mackerel Masher
Junior

Quote:
Hey brother thanks for taking the time to look!

P.E.T.A MEMBER
Portagee Euthanizing Terrified Albacore

Hamachi Girl
1981 23' Albacore Special
Mackerel Masher
Hobie Outback
Mackerel Masher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #17
KennyHill

Thats a big fish. How deep was it? How long did it take to get it to swim back down?
KennyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:07 PM   #18
TJones

thx for sharing you experience

. makes me want to start carrying extra set of waders and such. baja , where can i pick up some of those boneless pork rectums ?
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #19
philr21

Very cool! I bet he pulled you around some....
philr21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #20
sdfishin..alex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by philr21 View Post
Very cool! I bet he pulled you around some....
moe like towed me around...he stayed on the bottom the whole fight until the last 5 min i worked him up