Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2021, 08:38 AM   #1
JohnMckroidJr

Hawaiian Tuna Poke

Last Weekend's kayak fishing morning trip produced the following

With Plenty of fish to eat, I had to try more recipes from the Fisherman's belly. https://www.fishermansbelly.com/

I made a special trip to the Asian market to buy seaweed and passion fruit for the Poke recipes.

First up was Maui Poke

This recipe creates a fantastic blend of flavors that are ridiculously delicious.

One caveat is that seaweeds vary. Mine was taken from a bulk bin that had been heavily salted. Although I triple washed the seaweed as suggested by the merchant, It still came out a bit too salty. I later added cucumber to the mix to dilute the saltiness. Next time I will use less seaweed and soak it for a day to help reduce the saltiness.

Second up was Hawaiian Poke with passion fruit. Since I had plenty of Blackfin Tuna, I used it instead of the more fishy Little Tunny for this recipe.

OMG! This stuff was so delicious!

It was so good, I could not stop eating it, which upset my wife as it was all gone before she had a chance to try it. Later in the year when the Blackfin are scarce, I will do this recipe again with the stronger flavored Little Tunny.

Two more thumbs up for the Fisherman's Belly! Thanks again, Yanni!

https://www.fishermansbelly.com/
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:56 AM   #2
FISH11

Those all look so good. The pictures with the catches just make me envious of the amount of quality fish available in you back yard. Yanni's recipes all me my mouth water. Thanks for sharing John. Tight Lines!
Old 06-04-2021, 10:23 AM   #3
BenCantrell

You catch FISH! Nice haul!

Thanks for sharing the poke recipes and photos. I'll definitely try something similar.
BenCantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 05:54 PM   #4
AlwaysFishing

Wow those are some great catches, John. Great pictures!
AlwaysFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 07:27 PM   #5
kayakfisherman

Couldn't stop eating? Been my problem since day one!!

So cool, nice work John!
kayakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 01:04 AM   #6
Johnn1
Banned

Nice catch!

I love what dinner you made from this fish.
Johnn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 03:09 AM   #7
stevie951
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
Last Weekend's kayak fishing morning trip produced the following

With Plenty of fish to eat, I had to try more recipes from the Fisherman's belly. https://www.fishermansbelly.com/

I made a special trip to the Asian market to buy seaweed and passion fruit for the Poke recipes.

First up was Maui Poke

This recipe creates a fantastic blend of flavors that are ridiculously delicious.

One caveat is that seaweeds vary. Mine was taken from a bulk bin that had been heavily salted. Although I triple washed the seaweed as suggested by the merchant, It still came out a bit too salty. I later added cucumber to the mix to dilute the saltiness. Next time I will use less seaweed and soak it for a day to help reduce the saltiness.

Second up was Hawaiian Poke with passion fruit. Since I had plenty of Blackfin Tuna, I used it instead of the more fishy Little Tunny for this recipe.

OMG! This stuff was so delicious!

It was so good, I could not stop eating it, which upset my wife as it was all gone before she had a chance to try it. Later in the year when the Blackfin are scarce, I will do this recipe again with the stronger flavored Little Tunny.

Two more thumbs up for the Fisherman's Belly! Thanks again, Yanni!

https://www.fishermansbelly.com/
Thanks for keeping this forum alive.. Even if from the East coast.. I see you on your West coast knowledge.. thinks for calling Saba out on his smelly palisades shiihhh... must be nice to catch when you’re out on by hobie, right? Once again thanks for being constructive it is so appreciated.. Above that hell yeah on the catch nice king, nice Tuna. Family will be happy 😃

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 05:06 AM   #8
AlphaYankee
Junior

looks pretty amazing
AlphaYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 04:34 PM   #9
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
Those all look so good. The pictures with the catches just make me envious of the amount of quality fish available in you back yard. Yanni's recipes all me my mouth water. Thanks for sharing John. Tight Lines!
Thanks Mark, Yanni's recipes are awesome! We have our slow days also, but it's hard to go wrong during the spring. Tight lines!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenCantrell View Post
You catch FISH! Nice haul!

Thanks for sharing the poke recipes and photos. I'll definitely try something similar.
Thanks Ben.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakfisherman View Post
Couldn't stop eating? Been my problem since day one!!

So cool, nice work John!
LOL, Thank you Yanni!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie951 View Post
Thanks for keeping this forum alive.. Even if from the East coast.. I see you on your West coast knowledge.. thinks for calling Saba out on his smelly palisades shiihhh... must be nice to catch when you’re out on by hobie, right? Once again thanks for being constructive it is so appreciated.. Above that hell yeah on the catch nice king, nice Tuna. Family will be happy 😃
Thanks for following my threads. Having spent 4 decades in California, and less than two on the East Coast, I am glad to be able to add some value to this forum. Hardly keeping it alive, but nice to be part of the group, and vicariously enjoy other's successes in some of my old stomping grounds.

When I get to be 60+ years old I hope I am more respectful and professional with others.

Yes, SE Florida is blessed with an incredible variety of fisheries that are well suited for kayak fishing and Hobie has been my choice of kayaks since I started in 2014.

Thanks for the awesome compliments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaYankee View Post
looks pretty amazing
Yanni's recipes are! Thanks.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote