Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-01-2020, 07:03 PM   #1
45user

Hobie adjustable rod holder

Anyone use this? I currently use rocket launcher on a Scotty quick disconnect but it seems it’s not holding well. (It turns and loosen when fish strike) Does anyone use Hobie adjustable rod holder in the front Rod hole of the outback? How do you like it? Does it get in the way when you pedal?
Thank you in advance!
45user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:45 AM   #2
TJones

I have H rail model

I bought it when I got my lightly used PA 14 from Fastlane. I probably used it once or twice and didn't really care for it. Needless to say, Hobie accessories are vey expensive, but craftsmanship is second to none. You will not have that problem you are describing. There is a thumb screw that allows you to adjust the reel cradle to compensate for different degrees of reel placement. Personally, I just stuck with the standard Hobie rod holder extenders and have been using them for years. They work good for preventing you knocking an unleashed rod into the water. Also for preventing reel from getting doused, more so on kayak models that sit closer to water such as the outback. They wouldn't work so well for users that prefer having rigs spread at a 45 degree angle, with the ability to keep them in sites view. I never really cared for that technique, especially on narrower kayaks. I wouldn't be too fond of running the extra straps that are supplied with the model you are looking at either. The H-rail model does not need those extra support straps because of the H- Rail's sheer strength, relatively speaking. Adding those extra support straps would probably mean drilling extra holes to mount pad eye's. I always tried to lean away from drilling extra holes, particular for the sole purpose of resale value. You might even be able to get away from using the straps without sacrificing too much stability? Hope some of this information was helpful.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:49 AM   #3
Udine219
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
I bought it when I got my lightly used PA 14 from Fastlane. I probably used it once or twice and didn't really care for it. Needless to say, Hobie accessories are vey expensive, but craftsmanship is second to none. You will not have that problem you are describing. There is a thumb screw that allows you to adjust the reel cradle to compensate for different degrees of reel placement. Personally, I just stuck with the standard Hobie rod holder extenders and have been using them for years. They work good for preventing you knocking an unleashed rod into the water. Also for preventing reel from getting doused, more so on kayak models that sit closer to water such as the outback. They wouldn't work so well for users that prefer having rigs spread at a 45 degree angle, with the ability to keep them in sites view. I never really cared for that technique, especially on narrower kayaks. I wouldn't be too fond of running the extra straps that are supplied with the model you are looking at either. The H-rail model does not need those extra support straps because of the H- Rail's sheer strength, relatively speaking. Adding those extra support straps would probably mean drilling extra holes to mount pad eye's. I always tried to lean away from drilling extra holes, particular for the sole purpose of resale value. You might even be able to get away from using the straps without sacrificing too much stability? Hope some of this information was helpful.
+1
Udine219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:15 PM   #4
45user

Thank you both for your replies!
I do have the regular one but it seems that won’t work or kind of awkward to use to troll or drop baits off of but I will try using that first
Yes that thing is $70..so expensive
Thanks again!
45user is offline   Reply With Quote