Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2014, 06:28 AM   #1
double p

elite 4 hdi or elite 4x hdi?

i'm trying to find a good fish finder that's not too expensive. i'm leaning towards the lowrance elite 4 hdi and the elite 4x hdi. looking at these two fish finders the only difference i can find is one has the micro sd card slot. is the sd card slot worth it? and what about the more expensive transducer? i'll be using it in the local bays and lakes, and eventually la jolla. so please let me know what you guys think of these units.
double p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:11 AM   #2
Siebler

The price difference is because the 4 has gps and the 4x does not. Otherwise no different. Great units either way.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:12 AM   #3
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by double p View Post
i'm trying to find a good fish finder that's not too expensive. i'm leaning towards the lowrance elite 4 hdi and the elite 4x hdi. looking at these two fish finders the only difference i can find is one has the micro sd card slot. is the sd card slot worth it? and what about the more expensive transducer? i'll be using it in the local bays and lakes, and eventually la jolla. so please let me know what you guys think of these units.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 4x is a sonar only unit without gps. A huge sacrifice in my opinion. I use the gps function on my unit as much if not more for locating fish, depending on what I'm hunting for. That is why the 4x doesn't have the card reader. No need for chart card

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:13 AM   #4
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
The price difference is because the 4 has gps and the 4x does not. Otherwise no different. Great units either way.
Beat me to it

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:02 AM   #5
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Get the GPS model. when you locate a spot that holds fish, your going to want to return to it, without the ability to "mark" the spot is pretty hard to find it again.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:05 PM   #6
double p

thanks for the info guys, this rookie really appreciates it. gps model it is. what about the more expensive transducer, is it worth it?
double p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:24 PM   #7
FISH11

If you don't get the transducer with 83/200 kHz and the 455/800 it won't have the benefit of being able to get regular sonar on 83/200 or 50/200 kHz and the dsi (down scaning sonar) on the 455/800 kHz. The benefit of the HDI unit is it can display both if you use the correct transducer. The non-HDI unit either have regular sonar or DSI not both. The Elite 4, means it also has GPS the Elite 4X does not have GPS. It is not worth buying the HDI and getting the 200 kHz or 83/200 or 50/200 kHz transducer only because it will cost a lot more later to purchase the multiple frequency transducer by it self, to make the system do what it is capable off. Get the unit packaged with the 83/200 and 455/800 transducer.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:27 AM   #8
MFSB
Junior

Elite 4 HDI

One difference between the two is the HDI has a larger transducer, this may make it challenging to mount to your boat if you are going with a scupper mount. I compared the HDI size to the cut out in my Jackson Big Rig and it seems to be an easy fit there. Your mounting style and Kayak will determine what is best for you. I will be doing a simple write up with photos of my install, just because I am excited! I will be happy to share any photos or answer any specific questions you may have.
MFSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:51 AM   #9
jettytaco

I'm also in the market for the HDI unit. I should get the 50khz transudcer and not the 83 right? I will be fishing outside of newport and also la jolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
If you don't get the transducer with 83/200 kHz and the 455/800 it won't have the benefit of being able to get regular sonar on 83/200 or 50/200 kHz and the dsi (down scaning sonar) on the 455/800 kHz. The benefit of the HDI unit is it can display both if you use the correct transducer. The non-HDI unit either have regular sonar or DSI not both. The Elite 4, means it also has GPS the Elite 4X does not have GPS. It is not worth buying the HDI and getting the 200 kHz or 83/200 or 50/200 kHz transducer only because it will cost a lot more later to purchase the multiple frequency transducer by it self, to make the system do what it is capable off. Get the unit packaged with the 83/200 and 455/800 transducer.
jettytaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:14 PM   #10
FISH11

The 50 kHz is designed for very deep water (usually deeper than 1000 feet). I don't think any Kayak fisherman is fishing that deep. Personally I would get the 83/200-455/800 kHz transducer if buying the HDI. My $0.02 , P.S. the 50 is more expensive also.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:00 PM   #11
jettytaco

Thanks man. I didn't notice that. Also is the gold avionics worth it if i already have the GPS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
The 50 kHz is designed for very deep water (usually deeper than 1000 feet). I don't think any Kayak fisherman is fishing that deep. Personally I would get the 83/200-455/800 kHz transducer if buying the HDI. My $0.02 , P.S. the 50 is more expensive also.
jettytaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:15 PM   #12
FISH11

That gives you much more detail to what is under the water because it's like charts instead of maps but it is a big difference in the price and the card could always be added. It just goes into a slot. There are also apps for your smartphone that can give you the chart details. If you can afford it than get it.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:28 PM   #13
salty pirate

I upgraded to nautic insight hd and am impressed with the detail. Not a necessity though.
salty pirate is offline   Reply With Quote