Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 01:52 PM   #1
jscott

Monday Malibu

Figured you all might like to hear about another area other than LJ. Launched at 6:30am to small surf. Out perfectly dry. See some SMALL bait puddling but can't make any bait to save my life. Good thing I brought squid. I get some good fights-- but turn out to be 2 shovelnose and 1 ray. Had another good fight turn out to end up with frayed line (another shark!). I also picked up a legal cali on plastic-- released. I snagged a sanddab on one of the hooks with squid...and I took him off and he jumped in my bait tank. I said-- OK-- then put him back on a hook and tossed him out. After about 20 minutes or so-- my clicker starts going-- click..click...click. I see my rod tip bouncing. Slowly pick up the rod...let him eat, let him eat. Then pull up slack line and I'm on! Pull up some heavy weight-- but he's fighting diff than the previous fish. Comes up relatively easy and I see a NICE halibut. Grab my gaff and first swing and he's in the yak...clip him and when I go to slice the gills he goes nuts-- but not going anywhere because I got him secured! YEAH! Ended up being 33" and 17#. Paddle in and time it perfect. A few minutes later we see some Big sets coming through. Just gotta watch and wait! Off the water by noon as the wind started picking up.

See-- sometimes fish can be caught outside of LJ too!!
jscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 02:12 PM   #2
Dan

Nice malibu flatty - didn't know they ate their little cousins though...congrats.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 02:52 PM   #3
Useful Idiot

On the 'dab! Nice
Old 08-20-2007, 04:26 PM   #4
herefishyfishy!

I knew the lings love the dabs, good to see that little guy was willing to jump in the tank and then on your hook...what a selfless little guy, nice catch!
herefishyfishy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:00 PM   #5
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Thanks for the Malibu report! And congrats on the dab nab!
So.. do we consider their little cousins "keeping it in the family"? I caught a really nice 11lb Bonita last week on what else.... a little Bonita.

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:35 PM   #6
ski

Text book results
Congrats on a nice fish!
ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:49 AM   #7
gary sullivan

Jason, nice catch for some good eating. Hard scratching for anything decent down this way. From the picture it looks like pretty terrain in your neighborhood. Gary
gary sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:25 AM   #8
GBF

Nice going on the Hali..............did not know the little dabs were good bait...I wonder if that's legal?

GBF
Old 08-22-2007, 12:12 PM   #9
jscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBF View Post
Nice going on the Hali..............did not know the little dabs were good bait...I wonder if that's legal?

GBF
There is no size (nor number) limit on dabs....in fact when people go fishing for dabs on the cattleboats...it is not uncommon to have people score well over 100 per person. They take little buckets with them filled halfway with water....drop down like 12 hooks or so baited with squid....then pull up minutes later with most hooks filled. Toss them in their bucket and drop back down for the next one. Not too much fun in my book-- but you can get a bunch of them. You need to eat like 5 of them to make a meal for one person-- but they taste good fried.

No reason I can think of that you wouldn't be able to use a live dab for bait-- just like you would use a smelt, mac, perch, etc..

-jason
jscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:56 PM   #10
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

On party boats they use dabs for ling bait alot. Legal and supposedly it works. I have never caught anything on them.

Nice hali . I wouldn't have even thought of using a dab for hali bait.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote