Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Islander May 2.5 Day 2013

Video Reprt:

http://youtu.be/JYD51yYqefM

I was suppose to go on the June trip with the Islander, but I couldn't make it due to family plans and landed a spot on the May 2.5 day trip. When I first got to the landing I found out Jim Sammons, Paul Lebowitz, Adi, and Drew Gregory were on the trip as well. Jim was filming his first episode for the 2014 season.

Aside: Drew was promoting the Jackson kayaks and he is also known for the video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cV4F...ature=youtu.be

That night we picked up some nice sized sardines and headed for San Clemente Island. Jim gave everyone two goodie bags from Sebile tackle and Adi gave everyone a BWE hat - thanks fellas! The plan for Saturday was to anchor near China Point and then when the wind picked up pack up for lunch and then head to the front side.

In the morning Bobby (Kobra) and I decided to head outside of the kelp in 90 feet of water to look for yellows. We had luck last year and wanted to check that area first. After an hour or so I headed in to Pyramide Cove to look for halibut. While fishing for halibut, the calico bass bite went off and on four drops with my halibut rig I had calicos at the end of my hook. I switched to plasitcs and caught a few more bass in a span of 30 minutes or so.

Finally, I left the bass fishing and went for halibut again. On my last lively sardine in 45 feet of water I hooked into a halibut (17lbs), which would also win the jackpot for Day 1. We eventually went to the front side of the island where a 8lb yellowtail was caught by Jarod and a 23lb halibut was caught on plastic by Drew (he wasn't in the jackpot).

On Saturday night, we anchored in Pyramid Cove and some of the fellas made squid at night. There were several pbers in the cove doing the same. The flying fish gettting chased at night by the seals is always fun to watch. Bobby even caught one in his net.

Sunday Morning, even though the wind was under 10mph, and Pyramid Cove was whispering, "The Halibut are here..." the Captain decided to move to the front side of the Island again. We fished near White Rock and made our way throughout the day towards Pyramid.

Bobby and I decided to go for yellows again since one was caught the day before and Paul had a nice 5 minute sleigh ride by a yellow in this area as well. From 9-11 Bobby gots four good hits while flylining a sardine. On two of them he had a nice 3-4 minute sleigh ride, but on both of them the hook popped out. I went in for lunch at noon. After lunch I looked for rocks in 200 feet of water with some other kayakers to get some taco meat. We did fairly well as a group and pulled in Bocaccio, tree fish, white fish, and sheepshead.

On the final day Paul Lebowitz won the jackpot with a 9lb calico. Right before the 9lber, he got a 7lber.

Overall, the trip was really enjoyable. We saw the footage Jim's crew caught on their days of fishing. I can't wait to see the show. Adi told the craziest halibut stories in the craziest ways. Bobby gave up fishig for bass for two days so he could hunt for yellows. The chef made outstanding meals. The Islander crew once again worked their asses of to accomodate for the kayaks. There was also that kayak-flip at the boilers....I better stay away from that one : )

The fishing and scenery are always fantastic on the Islander and at Clemente, but it's the stories that keep me coming back...

roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

Great report Roby! Congrats on the JP! It was night meeting you out and everyone else out there. I look forward to fishing with you again!
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #3
StinkyMatt

Hey Roby, that looks like MY fish! You stole my fish you bustard!

Glad you got the jackpot. Lets do somereal fishing this weekend.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #4
ful-rac
Emperor

Guess whos buyn this weekend!
Old 05-29-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
Deamon

Roby! Great report, beautiful pics and awesome fish! Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:39 PM   #6
kaya_one

Way to make us all jealous. Sounds like a bunch of fun.
kaya_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:52 PM   #7
steveooo

Cool report Roby
Thanks for taking the time to write it up and make the video
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:21 AM   #8
DanaPT

looks like good times. I can't wait for June!
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:42 AM   #9
Jim Sammons LJKF

This really was a great trip with an awesome group. The wind did make things tough but still had a great time pulling on some real good calicos.

If any of you have seen my show or know me you know I love to play it close in the boiler rocks. Well I paid for it on the first morning of the trip. There was a great pocket in the rocks that I was getting steady bites in and even pulled a 7 pounder out of. The problem was the wind was in our face so I kept creeping in to get the lure in the right spot.
Combine the wind with the swirling water I was left high and dry on top or a big rock and got destroyed by the next set wave.
A couple rods lost, a brand new finder smashed, and a full on yard sale, not to mention my bruises and cuts. Thankfully a couple of the free divers from the trip were near by and came in quick to help me gather what gear I could.

As they say if you play you pay and I did pay on this one. First time ever this has happened to me but it didn't stop me from sliding in close again to get the big calicos on the rest of the trip.

Such a great operation and crew they have on the Islander, and great guys on the trip. If you have not been on one of these trips you should go.

A HUGE thanks goes to Patrick Sebile for providing all the great gear for the guys on the trip, including the Soft Magic Swimmers that landed so many bass including Paul's personal best nine pounder.

This shot was just a few minutes before I was nailed

This is Drew's Halibut caught with a soft plastic while fishing for Calicos in the rocks.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:03 AM   #10
PAL

Edit: Hah! Jim and I were posting about the same time. Sorry about the repeated pics.

The Islander is always an epic time. We had a great set of anglers and free divers on board, and like Roby says, the Islander crew... there's none better. And wow, did Jim Sammons and Sebile ever load us up on cool baits. Easily $100 worth, probably more.

Hey Roby, nice butt. Grats on the day 1 JP. I told Drew he should ante up. Bet he does next go-round. It was his first time on a west coast sporty. He's still learning about our style of fishing, and he was lucky too. He got his halibut right up on shore while bass fishing. Even pulled its head out of water at landing from the video I saw. A mellow fish and skilled angler. That thick flatty was doomed.

That first day, the wind and south swell were nasty. Jim was looking for big calicos for his TV show, so we worked the one reasonably fishable set of boilers hard for hours. They didn't want plastic. Jim nailed a nice 7 but only by baiting a live sardine in danger close. As I said on Facebook, payment would be extracted. That's not my story to tell.

It was a relief to get out of the wind. Conditions were gorgeous on the lee side, if not as fishy. Picking away at smaller calicos in the thin band of shore structure up by White Rock wasn't too inviting, so I slow trolled a dine out in 50-60 feet. Hooked up a nice yellow and that devil tail went straight for the only structure in sight, the anchor of a 6-pack sitting 150 yards down current. FUBAR. I wasn't up to the challenge. Fail.

I talked to Capt Coniff that second morning. He expected the wind to build all day. I don't think anyone was thrilled to be motoring back to the lee, including John. We all made the best of it and still had a great time.

I spent most of day 2 looking to make good on my farmed yellow. They were around; Adi had a school swim right under him. By late afternoon we'd worked south to better shoreline structure with plenty of water movement just as the wind started ripping outside, so I rejoined Sammons, Gregory, Jackson videographer Jameson Redding, and Jim's cameraman Will Richardson in close where I belong. If I'm anything, I'm a calico guy.

The bass bite lit up, and I was fortunate to pull a 7 out of the stones on one of Jim's Sebile Magic Swimmer Softs - an epic weedless boiler bait. I was feeling redeemed (whew!), and the structure kept getting more dramatic, with cliffs soaring overhead and big wind chop thumping hard against the rock. The whole calico crew had it going, and then - wham! - I'm on another boiler beast.

This one rainbowed my rod and hung tight to the bottom. I was getting sucked into the stones. The fish rolled - Gregory and I saw an enormous dark head and then it was once again pinned on the bottom. Gregory bumper-boated me out of danger as I thumbed the spool tight.

When I got it yakside, the big bass was barely hooked on the outside edge of its mouth, so I jammed my hand in and pulled it out. Hurt so good! 9 lbs on the Boga, finally getting me over the 8 I was stuck on for 3 years. Thanks to Jim for the photo, and Drew for the assist. First time I've ever won a daily JP on a C&R'd calico.

We stayed out until the light faded, and the guys had a couple more shots at big boiler bass. Damn, is SCI ever good for monster bass! I'm ready to go again.
Attached Images

Last edited by PAL; 05-30-2013 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Hah! Jim and I were posting about the same time. Sorry about the repeated pics.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:27 AM   #11
ful-rac
Emperor

Nice!! Those bass look more like grouper!!

Those things look big in the pictures....they must have been huge in person!
Old 05-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #12
mtnbykr2

Looks like the trip was a little more productive than a few weeks ago, congrats on the butt Roby, great report.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:08 PM   #13
TheBentRod

Congrats Roby.

I did not know you were missing the June 2.5 day. Sounds like a good time.

I can't wait for the show.
TheBentRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:59 PM   #14
SorryCharlie

I have to agree with everyone who has posted, the Islander crew was incredible. I’m not sure if I would be as nice as they were after a few trips with rookies like me.

This was my first mothership trip, and while the fishing was a bit slow (minus the calicos that it) it was a great trip with an awesome group of guys. I will definitely try to get a spot on next year’s trip.

Special thanks to Roby and Adi for all the fishing knowledge they were kind enough to bestow upon anyone willing to learn.
SorryCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #15
Lipripper92592

Score on the Sebile lures, those are pricey, looks like a great trip!

Jim,
What type of camera do you have set up on your yak, it reminds me of a contour? Thank you.
Chris
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #16
Jim Sammons LJKF

We use a V.I.O. POV we find we get a better picture from them and are easier to set up the shots because they have an attached screen control unit. With the new POV power we can also attach the unit to my larger battery for my bait tank or finder and never have to worry about battery issues.
We also rarely miss a shot because the camera is always recording a loop. If we get a hit I simply hit the record button and it saves thirty seconds from before I hit the button.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #17
capntim

Great job guys. Wish I was there!!!!
capntim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:52 PM   #18
jorluivil

Roby must have been smoking some good ganja when he picked the music for the video

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #19
JarrodMc

Epic Trip

Like the guys already said, this was a really fun trip. There were some quality fish caught and we all had a good time. The crew worked very hard and they were all VERY accommodating. I'm glad I was able to get a spot on the boat last minute.

I managed to hook up on a few decent calicos fishing with Drew, Paul, Jameson and James with Will filming us. It was pretty good minus the howling wind and Jim rolling it in the rocks. We did manage some quality calicos all C&R before lunch. I caught all my bass on Zman Jerk Shadz and a couple on a trap rig I was bouncing on the way back to the boat for butts.

After lunch, we hit a new spot after moving to calmer waters. I saw Paul get broken off when his YT swam towards a boat and sawed him off. I moved out a little deeper from where I was fishing and had a good hunch about where I let a line out and within a couple minutes it was FISH ON!

I caught my YT on some bass gear that I was flylining in the boilers and it was the easiest one to get in the water quickly. That fish felt a whole lot larger on a light set up. Even with my Daiwa Lexa 300 buttoned down on drag, it still pulled. After a 10 minute fight Jim was able to gaff it for me. Thanks Jim!

Shortly afterwards I heard on the radio that Drew was hooked up on a "Ha Ha Halibut!" I wasn't close to him but after hearing it over the radio I knew it was a big fish. He caught it on ZMAN Elaztech!

On the 2nd day the fishing was a lot slower in the morning. Maybe due to a full moon, who knows. My FF managed to take a dump on me too... I still pulled some Calicos out of the shallows but it wasn't as solid as the day before. It was slow for me till lunch and I took a good break and got ready to head out and pound rocks in the afternoon. Roby and I fished with a few other guys around 250' and we pulled up good size Bocaccio, Sheephead, Treefish, a few Reds, etc. I nearly limited with a mixed bag before the winds really picked up and it was like Victory at Sea out there. Luckily we all managed to get in and on the boat safely with no big problems.

After we all loaded up and cruised a while looking for a better spot with less wind, we never really found a good area and called it a day. Paul nailed those 2 Calicos in a different spot than where I was fishing and Drew caught a Leopard Shark.

All in all it was a very fun trip and I got to meet and hang out with some cool people. It was great getting to know you all and swap stories and fishing tips. Thank you to the Islander crew, Chef Brian and Capt. John for the hospitality. You were all top notch. Thanks to Patrick Sebile for the goodie bag we got. Thank you Adi and Brent for the BWE hats.
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2013, 09:41 PM   #20
steveooo

Wow! What a great trip.

Paul, congrats on the PB. What a toad Cali- a true So Cal trophy. I appreciate your write-up of the trip too. You have a way with words, and a love for kayak fishing. I felt like I was there. Thank you

Congrats to those who won the JP, and thanks to those that took the time to post a story and Pics.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote