Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2017, 06:44 PM   #1
InfidelYak

Finding a new spot..

I'm thinking of launching out of MCRD in San Diego and seeing what's around there? Anyone have any advice or tips when it comes to a new spot? What should I target in the bay like that? Also has anyone ever launched out of there before? TIA
InfidelYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:46 PM   #2
YakAnglerUSMC
Junior

I don't have information about that area but I'd more than happy to help you scout it out

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
YakAnglerUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:57 PM   #3
blitzburgh

I used to float tube that area back in the day. This time of year, with a good tide swing, there are nice butts hanging around the N Harbor bridge. I've pulled multiple 15+ lbers in that area, all on drop shot with gulp minnows. Not sure how touchy the Navy is about their marine mammal training docks but be aware they may move you. You can also hit the docks across from Spanish Landing for all-you-want spotties. 3" to 5" plastics. Target structure and the eel grass edges in the center of the marina. If you are otw at dawn, throw a top water crankbait for a solid shot at an Orange Mouth Corvina. Good luck!
Old 06-25-2017, 02:51 PM   #4
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

MCRD is a beautiful place to launch from. I like that cove area along Liberty Station.

Personally, I would target corvina then go straight across the channel to look for halibut anywhere from the NAS seaplane ramp out to Zuniga point. A week ago Friday I went to my favorite places along the Zuniga jetty just after sunrise to no avail, then landed two halibut in a row just east of the Navy Pier at about 30' and at around 1:30 in the afternoon.

If you want to figure out what's happening with corvina now, search the forums at www.sdfish.com. Lots of those guys fish from shore around the bay.

On the way back you can stop for refreshments at Stone Brewing Bistro & Gardens. There are easy ramps along that side of the channel, across from MCRD.

You can go here and enter Friday, June 16th, to try to figure out why the bite was good for me at 1:30pm:
http://www.tides4fishing.com/us/cali...antine-station

I like trying to analyze data and locations, but in the end I have discovered that it's just best to go fishing anytime I can. Whatever happens, happens. There are always options to explore. On Friday the 23rd, I launched at Shelter Island beach at sunrise and headed over toward the bait barge for a scoup of live bait. Before I got there I already picked up 8 mackerels on a sabiki I was dragging, so I canceled my purchase. The mackerels were abundant around the entry to Shelter Island Yacht Basin near the Friendship Bell. I don't know what works better for targeting larger halibut in SD Bay ... macks or smaller anchovies/sardines from the bait barge. I do better in SD Bay with lighter gear than I use in La Jolla. When surface fishing for corvina, I cast lures with a lake rod and use 12lb test line.

There are tons of bass everywhere in SD Bay, but I'm not a bass guy. I try to target what I want to eat, and I try to avoid collateral damage to other species.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 06-25-2017 at 05:35 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 04:47 PM   #5
Harry Hill

what or where is MRCD?
Old 06-25-2017, 05:19 PM   #6
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
what or where is MRCD?
Marine Corps Recruit Depot
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2017, 05:40 PM   #7
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
what or where is MRCD?
To those with military privileges, it's an awesome piece of real estate that's been in a time warp from the days when San Diego was more sparsely populated. They have their own docks and harbor right across from the north end of Liberty Station.

As a civilian, that's all I know. I don't have access. Check it out on Google Earth.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 06-25-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:54 AM   #8
Gunner58

If you are military another good spot to launch is Point loma on the beach at smugglers cove. I launch there quite often and target mostly halis and spotties. Halis on live sardines and the spotties on a dropshot gulp shrimp or jerk bait. If you go near the Navy ammunition pier there are some good spots for a nice butt however you run the risk of getting run off by the harbor patrol if you are closer than 100 yards. Just look for the drop offs and fish those and any structure you can find.
Gunner58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:45 AM   #9
straightrod

Quote:
what or where is MRCD?
+1.
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:13 PM   #10
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

InfidelYak, do you know if the boat center at the MCRD docks have Hobie fishing kayaks available for military personal to check out?

On Google Earth, I see several nice looking boats, including kayaks organized around the building next to the docks. It looks like a small club house or rec center.

I have a nephew who wants to fish with me. He's active reserve Navy.

As a civilian, can I tie up at the dock and walk in to inquire, or would that be a security breach?
Old 06-26-2017, 08:18 PM   #11
InfidelYak

Honestly I'm not 100% sure if you can just tie up or not, sorry. Also last time I was there they did not have any hobie yaks. They were all just cheaper yaks for mass renting haha. I would just pull up and ask though honestly, worse thing that would happen is they tell you to leave.. but I doubt that would happen.
InfidelYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:32 AM   #12
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
As a civilian, can I tie up at the dock and walk in to inquire, or would that be a security breach?
You cannot. I remember signs saying something like Authorized Military only or something.