Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
rhyak

Kayak Anglers Choice Awards

This years elections are up and the Central Coast is on the ballot and in 3 sections. So please vote, its one vote per round and one round per week based on elimination.

http://www.yakangler.com/choice

KayakFishingSupplies is nominated for Kayak Shot of the Year

CentralCoastKayakFishing is nominated for Forum of The Year!

Dan The Impractical Fisherman is nominated for Blog of The Year

Leffingwell Landing is nominated for Fishing Spot of the Year

Thanks
Ryan

rhyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
easyday

Seems like the west coast is pretty much left out on here.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #3
rhyak

Yep with no one to blame but our selfs when it is open for nominations in early october is when anglers and such need to be nominated and need to keep up on it. I honestly do not know how the few that did get on there did, have not talked with anyone that I know that nominated the above.

Ryan

Old 10-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #4
easyday

Yea seems like so cal is completely left out of the picture and it seems from what ive heard alot of the east coasters dont really respect the fishing we do out here on the west coast.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
rhyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyday View Post
Yea seems like so cal is completely left out of the picture and it seems from what ive heard alot of the east coasters dont really respect the fishing we do out here on the west coast.
Why should they???

We do not post report??? Ok very few!!!

Lets take this over to the below area... Thanks.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...968#post172968

Old 10-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #6
PAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyak View Post
Yep with no one to blame but our selfs when it is open for nominations in early october is when anglers and such need to be nominated and need to keep up on it. I honestly do not know how the few that did get on there did, have not talked with anyone that I know that nominated the above.

Ryan
Need to keep up on it? How do you come to that conclusion?

How would anyone here have known about the nominations, and why should they care? I'm mainly addressing your approach. If you feel SoCal anglers should get involved, maybe you could say why.

If you look at YA, you'll see participation is highly regionalized to the southeast. The number of anglers who fish ankle deep water is probably ten or 100 times as many as those who have ventured onto big blue even once.

This is the third year YA has offered the Choice Awards. The first year, the results were... interesting to be kind. Last year was better, but still an exercise in ballot stuffing.

This is the first year YA has instituted systems to reduce spam voting. It has been a numbers game up to now - not even a popularity contest - with results that have little to no relevance for west coast or Hawaii-based kayak anglers. It may still be after this year.

I say this despite my respect for Mark and Adam at YA. I know and like them, particularly for cooking up the Boondoggles. They remind me of the NCKA parties started many years ago and going stronger than ever. A rocking good time. What took the southeast so long to catch on?

Mark and Adam had the fortitude to launch this program despite the criticism they knew would come their way. They've improved it. But whether it is truly relevant to SoCal's kayak anglers is up to SoCal. You could say we should participate and see whether the results are any more representative. At least then we'd have good reason to reject them.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #7
Dannowar

Oh how will I sleep tonight knowing a bunch of silly east coasters will win all the awards?!
Old 10-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #8
rhyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAL View Post
Need to keep up on it? How do you come to that conclusion?

How would anyone here have known about the nominations, and why should they care? I'm mainly addressing your approach. If you feel SoCal anglers should get involved, maybe you could say why.

If you look at YA, you'll see participation is highly regionalized to the southeast. The number of anglers who fish ankle deep water is probably ten or 100 times as many as those who have ventured onto big blue even once.

This is the third year YA has offered the Choice Awards. The first year, the results were... interesting to be kind. Last year was better, but still an exercise in ballot stuffing.

This is the first year YA has instituted systems to reduce spam voting. It has been a numbers game up to now - not even a popularity contest - with results that have little to no relevance for west coast or Hawaii-based kayak anglers. It may still be after this year.

I say this despite my respect for Mark and Adam at YA. I know and like them, particularly for cooking up the Boondoggles. They remind me of the NCKA parties started many years ago and going stronger than ever. A rocking good time. What took the southeast so long to catch on?

Mark and Adam had the fortitude to launch this program despite the criticism they knew would come their way. They've improved it. But whether it is truly relevant to SoCal's kayak anglers is up to SoCal. You could say we should participate and see whether the results are any more representative. At least then we'd have good reason to reject them.

Agree 100%, I think the idea is great and can bring yakers together, and WE should get involved.

When it comes to KEEPING ON IT.
I mean staying connected with the rest of the kayak community across the county since we all have the same in common, a madness...

Old 11-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #9
PAL

Ryan, I'm curious what you think of the KACA finalists. I'm only posting a selection.

Angler of the Year:
Dee Kaminski
Chad Hoover
Tino Mendietta
Ashley Rae
Drew Gregory

Hoover has a TV show, runs a retailer, and owns KBF.com. He's run tournaments.

Gregory is a Jackson fishing pro who makes a lot of media, particularly GoPro video. He's also run tournaments.

Rae is a photogenic TV personality associated with Hobie. I'm not sure how deep her roots go in kayak fishing.

Mendietta - who is he? He fishes the Texas Gulf offshore from a Jackson.

Kaminski is a Florida kayak fishing guide. I've met her. She can really fish the flats.

None of them would have been my choice for top kayak angler of for 2013. I kind of hope Rae wins. Maybe it'll cause Yakangler to improve the program. I give her props for getting more ladies involved in fishing, but I don't see her as a core kayak angler. Check out her Facebook page. She's on a powerboat most of the time. If she wins, why not Eric Young of the Off the Hook TV show? He's fished off a kayak once or twice.

Kayak of the Year:
Jackson Kayak Cuda 14
Native Watercraft Slayer Propel
Hobie Pro Angler 14
Wilderness Systems Ride 115X
Old Town Predator

Three of them are 2013 introductions - that makes sense. However, the Slayer Propel is just now getting into shops. None of these are exactly big water ocean boats. Hobie fans, it's okay - yes, the PA14 changed the face of La Jolla. Last year and the year prior.

Forum of the Year:
Texas Kayak Fisherman - TX
Kayak Bass Fishing - TN
Austin Kayak Fishing - TX
Kayak Anglers of Western PA - PA
Bayou Coast Kayak Fishing Club - LA

Nothing west of Texas. Move along.

Retailer? Kayakfishingsupplies.com didn't make it. Wonder why? Note - I mean that question somewhat sarcastically. There are some good retailers on the list, but few with the history or rigging chops of KFS.

So long as the format remains as is, a popularity contest, it will not be relevant to the west coast or Hawaii.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote