Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-21-2015, 12:32 PM   #1
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
BAJA or BUST 2017 YOUR INPUT

2017 will probabally be my LAST year to HOST these trips, after that I will be happy to HELP others do it. The camp at Gonzaga will stay open for BWE member use. Looking for members to STEP up and keep this open for BWE and YOUR use.

Time to start the planing process for Jan through June 2017.
This is YOUR chance to set up a trip that conforms with your time schedule. If you have a proposed trip with dates please post here. If possible we will make it happen.

IF YOU do not post I will figure there is no INTEREST and not worry about it. If that happens I will post some of my trips before the end of the year, you are always welcome to join me.

29 April to 13 May. I plan on going to Kentucky this is a private trip and I hope to see Svendawg on this trip. In June I plan on doing the San Quintin Halibut Tourney again. Thanksgiving I hope to spend with Ross depending on his location. Christmas and New Years I will be doing the Mag Bay trip.

15-30 OCTOBER on the FLY will be split into two weeks so more can attend the best time for Baja. ALMOST HALF FULL.

NOW is the time for you to get your sh-t together for next year. You deserve a break, you work for it, plan it out and make it happen. Set up your own trip or join one of mine. Tight Lines.

Last edited by Iceman; 03-06-2018 at 03:42 PM.
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:36 PM   #2
Mahigeer

When are you going to be there for installation of your solar panels?

Is it part of these trips or an special trip for that project?
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:48 PM   #3
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Solar installation before end of this year, special trip. Want power for NEW YEARS party. So much fun, so little time.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 09-21-2015, 05:18 PM   #4
makobob
Baitless on Baja

I will use this thread to post all up coming trips and to post everything I can about these trips, driving directions, recommended tackle, possible weather conditions, any thing pertaining to these trips. By doing this I hope to have all the information for Baja or Bust trips in one easy to find place. You are welcome to post but let's try to keep in on target. Mahigeer please post your equipment list. Walrus could you post your fish caught list? Chuck D how about your tackle suggestions. Thanks guys and BWE. Tight lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN

Last edited by makobob; 09-21-2015 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:56 PM   #5
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Directions to Gonzaga

We meet at 5 am at Johnny's Shell station in El Cajon located at 515 N. Magnolia ave. Just off of the 8 at the 67/N.Magnolia exit From there we stay on the 8 to the 98 exit, follow about 30 miles to the 111 and take left to border crossing, San Diego to border 125 miles. From there we follow the Mex 5 thru Mexicali, follow signs to San Filipe, Puertocitos, Rio Hardy staying on the 5 all the way to San Filipe. Another 125 mies. Going through San Filipe take right at sign to Putrtocitos/airport, go about 9 km to sign saying Puerticitos and take a left, DO NOT go to the airport.. From here is is another 95 miles to camp. VADO means dip in road and years ago they could and would take your rear axel out, SLOW DOWN for them. At km 60-65 be very careful. When you reach km 134 you went 100 yards too far. Sign to camp will say Campo Turistico and you take a left. Up until now roads are all good at 60 mph unless posted lower and passable by any car. At turn off for camp it is unpaved dirt road, 15-25 mph but bumpy. Camp is about 1/2 mile from main road. I suggest lowering your air pressure at turnoff on your first trip, to about 20 psi WE have compressor in camp. Follow until you crest hill and go down to beach, Restaurant is on your left, follow to beach and turn left before reaching palapas, follow less than 100 yards to my place, as soon as you pass the trees on your left there are two rows with driveway between them you will take a left up a small incline OUR place is on the left. The sand on the beach can be very soft at times. WELCOME TO PARADISE.

Every one going on these trips should print out a copy of this and carry with you JUST INCASE we get separated

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN

Last edited by makobob; 09-24-2015 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:50 PM   #6
buddha

Did you stop for shrimp on your last trip to San Felipe and was the quality good?
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:08 PM   #7
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post
Did you stop for shrimp on your last trip to San Felipe and was the quality good?
San Filipe shrimp is inconsistant, I buy here and keep frozen until needed. That way I get quality and size I need.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN

Last edited by makobob; 10-03-2015 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:10 PM   #8
Mahigeer

The items in the same "category" are in the same color.

GONZAGA TRIP LIST
A-Ahi rod/Sabiki rigs ---anchor/rope
B- Back support--- bashing club--- BENGAY cream--- bowls ---Boga grip--- braid cutter--- bread ---battery operated fan/extra batteries
C-Cooler/ice ---cigarettes/cigars [lighter/fluid] ---contact lenses/fluid ---compass ---Car GPS ---Cell phone/charger ---Camping chair ---cutting board ---chaise lounge--- cereal ---cot air cushion
D-Dive booties ---diving lures
E-Extension cord ---extra reels
F-Fillet knives-- fishing shirts--- fish clip/rope--- fish finder battery/charger--- --- fishing cover towel--- fly rod/reel/flies/leaders/sinking line ---flash light--- First Aid kit ---Five gallon bucket--- folding table
G-GoPro/battery/charger/harness--- gaff--- Ginger ale--- Ginger pills
H-Hook cutter--- headlamp/charger
I-IPod/charger/waterproof case---ice bottles ---Ibuprofen pills
K-Kayak--- Krocodile lures
L-Line cutter--- lures (Salas, Krocodile, top water)--- leashes--- leader material--- food/drinks for the road--- lantern/tripod/charger
M-Multi-plug strip--- Mexican fishing license--- Meclizine pills---milk--- Misc. chargers--- map to Bob’s house/Gonzaga Bay
N-Net---needle nose plier--- night shortsnote book/pen
P-PFD--- prescription medicine/glasses/sun/regular--- PASSPORT----paddle--- pillow
R-Rods/reels--- VHF radio/charger--- rope/stretch/regular plates/cups/flat wear--- rod belt
S-Sandals---socks ---sun glasses X2/box--- swimming trunks--- sinkers--- swim bait--- steel leader---sleeping bag---- St. Croix rod/Shimano reel/Penn reel---squid jig--- sandwich items/bags--- stove/fuel--- surf fishing tackle
T-Tackle box--- tarp (gray) tent/long stakes/ax ---tie-down straps ---towel toiletry bag--- travel wallet (cash, CC, Kaiser, ATM, AAA, Pesos)---tea/coffee/creamer
U-Underwear--- urine bags
V- Vacuum sealer/bags/cellophane/marker
W-Water---wide brim hat/leash/cap---white towel---whisky
Z-Zippered pants--- zip-lock bags

KAYAK FISHING CHECKLIST FROM THIS WEBSITE
Paddle--- Seat--- Lifejacket--- Rods Tackle--- Leashes (rod and paddle)--- VHF Radio ---Gaff and/or Net ----Bait Tank ---Sabiki Rig ---Battery Water/Food Pliers/Knife Wetsuit/ Waders/ Splash wear ---Sunscreen--- Fish finder--- Camera

Last edited by Mahigeer; 09-22-2015 at 06:23 AM.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:57 PM   #9
makobob
Baitless on Baja

What do you need for these trips.

Your passport or passport card, I carry both. The FFM card issued by Mexico, I carry mine and renew every 6 months. Mexican auto insurance, I get mine every year from Vagabundos Del Mar. NO MATTER what your auto insurer up here says that policy does not protect you in Mexico, it MUST be Mexican insurance by a Mexican Carrier. Mexican fishing license is also needed. All papers on your car/truck, including registration and american insurance, paperwork on your trailer if you are taking one. You may NEVER be checked for most of these but a few dollars and some time might just save you big problems latter.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 09-21-2015, 08:22 PM   #10
buddha

FMM information.

http://www.discoverbaja.com/go/fmm-tourist-permits/
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:07 PM   #11
EastLosYaker

Any chance of getting a crew to roll down to mag bay for the new year's trip? Tough to get a group to go that far and for that long, but...trip of a lifetime.
EastLosYaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:22 PM   #12
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastLosYaker View Post
Any chance of getting a crew to roll down to mag bay for the new year's trip? Tough to get a group to go that far and for that long, but...trip of a lifetime.
Kevin you talking this New years or next new years. For this new years we talked about it earlier in the year and could not get 3 trucks to go. So I made the decision to do Gonzaga and a grand opening on my new place there. For next year I am up for it, we would need your truck, my truck and another 4x4 truck. Driving time is two full days each way, maybe a little more in winter as it gets dark earlier. So one more 4x4 and two full weeks. Let's do it.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 09-22-2015, 04:57 AM   #13
EastLosYaker

Sounds good Bob. When the time comes, I am in.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:41 AM   #14
walrus

Fish I have caught on a Baja or Bust trip:
(I mainly fish catch and release, but some are just too good and I keep them for dinner)
Azure Parrotfish, Loro Chato, Azul Perico, Scarus compressus.
Ballyhoo Halfbeak, Agujeta Brasilena, Hemiramphus brasiliensis.
Barred Sand Bass, Sand Bass, Cabrilla de Arena, Cabrilla de Roca, Paralabrax nebulifer.
Blunthead Triggerfish, Stone Triggerfish, Cochito Bota, Pseudobalistes naufragium.
Broomtail Grouper, Broomtail, Garropa jasplada, Mycteroperca xenarcha.
Bumphead Damselfish, Jaqueta Vistosa, Microspathodon bairdii.
Sierra, Pacific Sierra, Sierra Mackerel, Sierra, Scomberomorus sierra.
Burrito Grunt, Raidito, Roncador, Anisotremus interruptus.
Calico Bass or Kelp Bass, Cabrilla Alguera, Cabrilla Sargacera, Paralabrax clathratus.
California Lizardfish, Snakefish, Chile, Lagarto, Synodus lucioceps.
California Scorpionfish, Spotted Scorpionfish, Sculpin, Lapón, Scorpaena guttata.
Cortez Barracuda, Lucas’ Barracuda, Barracuda de Cortés, Sphyraena lucasana.
Cortez Grunt, Yellow-Spotted Grunt, Burro de Cortez, Haemulon flaviguttatum.
Crevalle Jack, Jack Crevalle, Jurel Comun, Cavalla, Cocinero, Toro, Caranx hippos.
Dog Snapper, Pacific Dog Snapper, Pacific Cubera Snapper, Pargo Perro, Lutjanus novemfasciatus.
Eastern Pacific Bonefish, Zorro del Pacifico Oriental, Macabi del Pacifico Oriental, Albula esuncula.
Flat Needlefish, Barred Needlefish, Agujón Sable, Ablennes hians.
Mexican Hogfish, Vieja, Vieja Mexicana, Vieja de Piedra, Bodianus diplotaenia.
Sechura Lizardfish, Chile Iguana, Garrobo Iguana; Lagarto Iguana, Synodus sechurae.
Leopard Grouper, Cabrilla, Golden Grouper, Golden Cabrilla, Sardinera, Reina, Mycteroperca rosacea.
Bullseye Puffer, Concentric Puffer, Botete Diana, Sphoeroides annulatus.
Orangemouth Corvina, Orangemouth Weakfish, Corvinata Totoaba, Cynoscion xanthulus.
Orangeside Triggerfish, Filescale Triggerfish, Taxi, Cochino, Sufflamen verres.
Pacific Jack Crevalle, Toro, Torito, Caranx caninus.
Panamic Graysby, Pacific Graysby, Cherna, Enjambre, Ribera Cabrilla, Cephalopholis panamensis.
Spottail Grunt, Roncodor Rayado, Ronco Soldadito, Haemulon maculicauda.
Spotted Bay Bass, Spotted Sand Bass, Calico, Cabrilla Pecosa, Paralabrax maculatofasciatus.
Yellowtail, California Yellowtail, Yellowtail Amberjack, Jurel, Jurel de Castilla, Seriola lalandi dorsalis.

Fish I have witnessed being caught (that I have not caught as of yet).

Spotted Rose Snapper, Pargo Chibato, Pargo Flamenco, Lutjanus guttatus.
Roosterfish, Pez Gallo, Nematistius pectoralis.
Threadfin Jack, Thread Pompano, Jurel de Hebra, Carangoides otrynter.
Wavyline Grunt, Ronco Jopatón, Corocoro Jopatón, Microlepidotus inornatus.
White Seabass, White Weakfish, King Croaker, Curvina, Corvinata Blanca, Atractoscion nobilis.

Most fish I’ve caught in a single day: 117

Most fish I’ve caught in a single trip: 603
(In 2015 have stopped counting how many spotted bass, triggerfish, and ribera I catch so I no longer keep a count of total fish).

Average number of lures lost in a week: 12

Favorite lure: rapala or candy bar twister spoon ( it’s a toss-up, but, I tend to lose a lot less of the rapalas).

Best tip: use wire it doesn’t seem to slow down the strikes, but you have less break offs when rocked or the Sierras are active.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:30 AM   #15
Mahigeer

Excellent post. Very informative. Thanks a lot.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:47 AM   #16
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Dorado, skipjack tuna, sharks and cortez halibut have also been caught. Also an octopus, and turtle.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN

Last edited by makobob; 09-22-2015 at 07:02 AM.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:46 AM   #17
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Kevin, I just put it on next years schedule, subject to one more 4X4 truck coming along with us and two full weeks. Should be an AWESOME trip. I will have room for at least one passenger and gear. If I took two we might not have enough space for gear unless I took the trailer. Let's see what shakes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastLosYaker View Post
Sounds good Bob. When the time comes, I am in.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 09-22-2015, 07:06 PM   #18
Mike scales

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
Dorado, skipjack tuna, sharks and cortez halibut have also been caught. Also an octopus, and turtle.

Ya, there's definitely dorado and turtles! haha!
BTW- Bob, there is a good chance i may join the fly trip this year for late October. My baby came early and the dust has settled. My wife giving me signs of green light for this trip, hopefully I can squeeze in with you guys.
Best

Last edited by Mike scales; 09-22-2015 at 07:18 PM.
Mike scales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:19 PM   #19
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
I will have room for at least one passenger and gear. Let's see what shakes out.

Put me down for a possible, maybe and we'll see.

If that is ok for now.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:52 PM   #20
EastLosYaker

Next year sounds good for Mag Bay, and gives us plenty of time to plan.