Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2008, 02:26 PM   #1
forefrazier

DP 8/9 Thresher Ride & Consolation Prize

Got a quick yak 'scoop of deans and rounded the corner toward the Highlands/Salt Creek spot this morning around 5:30am. Dropped the lines in around 6:00 and had been trolling a dean with an egg sinker when the infamous sound of ZZZZZZZZZZZ's go off like I have never heard on my yak before. No way this is a kelp snag this time. 700XL with Torium 14 is total bendo. 15min go by and no sign of color just some hard runs and then dead weight. PB'r comes by and stops to see what is going on. Start gaining a bit of ground when the line goes sideways burning spectra off the reel. Before I can even guess what might be on the other end Mr. T jumps about 2ft. out of the water right next to the 3 guys on the PB. Probably about 6' long or so. Right after the smack down line goes slack. Pull up to find spectra busted at the palomar swivel knot. I never use a swivel but today thought I would try to experiment to combat line twist.

Rerigged and sent down another dean dropper loop style (straight spectra-no swivel ) 10 min. later clicker screams again. Pull back and it's on. Head shakes this time, very different from the last. After about 15min of fun landed my first legal 'butt on the 'yak and also my PB from any craft. Here she is....

Didn't have a scale but measured out at just a hair under 40" and 14" width. YES! Finally after more than a dozen tries.....Makes that paddle back in so much more enjoyable.

Tight Lines,
Steve

Last edited by forefrazier; 08-10-2008 at 02:37 PM.
forefrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 02:35 PM   #2
steamroll

Awesome. Nice Halibut
Old 08-10-2008, 03:18 PM   #3
THE DARKHORSE

Nice flattie!

For a reference my heaviest 40" Halibut went 30lbs and my lightest 40" Halibut went 22lbs. From the looks of the first photo, I would say she's pretty thick, and probably on the heavy side. Reguardless, nice fish.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:24 PM   #4
Grego

Congrats! nice butt, looks guesswhere in the 25lbr range and up...the point has got some nice feesh if you put your time in there, wsb n butts for me but only seen tails caught by others.
Grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 03:41 PM   #5
Dan

nice flattie. you're eating very well for a few days for sure.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 04:08 PM   #6
rastrev

Tasty!

rastrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:53 PM   #7
Vikingj

Outstanding! To bad about the T but it looks like it gave you 15+min of adrenalin rush! And I'm sure the look on the PB'ers faces was priceless. The 'but was icing on the cake. I fish Dana frequently and still looking for that 3' or better hali. Good report and pics.
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:28 AM   #8
deeberdave

Nice flattie Steve,great post!!! I'm still looking for my first real fish from
my yak,so far bass only.
deeberdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:47 PM   #9
crabkracker
Junior

Nice going on ur first legal on the yak, and a memmorable one too. I was the guy that helped u take the on the water pic. Was hoping my day would be as memmorable but nothing showed after u left.
crabkracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:18 PM   #10
wiseguy

Very nice indeed! Great Catch man! I got to hit up DP soon!
wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:14 PM   #11
forefrazier

Thanks to all for the great comments! Hey CrabKracker...Nice to know you check the boards. Thanks for being around to help me with the photo! Got the 'jones' to do it again soon, so hope to see you all out there.
forefrazier is offline   Reply With Quote