Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2015, 07:47 PM   #1
GkT

Carlsbadians

Anyone on here fish in/around Carlsbad/Oceanside area? I live here and the lagoons and inlets will be where I am planning to be while I get my bearings on a kayak. I live maybe 5 minutes walk from the middle (YMCA) lagoon at Agua Hedionda, so I have a feeling that's where I'll be spending a lot of time once I get in the water.
GkT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:52 PM   #2
otterpupster

Send a message via MSN to otterpupster
Last time I tried to launch at the Lagoon landing Carlsbad requires a day use fee and a launching fee. Check the launch area further in the lagoon from YMCA.
otterpupster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:06 PM   #3
GkT

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterpupster View Post
Last time I tried to launch at the Lagoon landing Carlsbad requires a day use fee and a launching fee. Check the launch area further in the lagoon from YMCA.
I've always launched (recreational kayaking) from the sand beaches in the YMCA lagoon (north side) or a sand beach 'Dog Beach' on the northeastern side of the innermost lagoon. I know if you try to launch at the ramp at Snug Harbor they will try and charge you, but anywhere else is free game as far as I know.

Thanks for the fish tips, YakDout. Ill be trying these out when I get the boat.
I've grown up shorefishing at AH, and have pulled some decent little spotties out of right where you said, next to the freeway bridge. Also had luck at the trestles. Never had a hali out of there though.

Just bought a new rod and reel today, and went out and fished from the rocks at the trestles. Nothing was biting though. Or I'm out of practice. Probably the latter.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:04 PM   #4
nacho66

GkT welcome to the forums, gonna try and make it up there next weekend
nacho66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:36 PM   #5
surfisher

Rad, yea I used to fish in there a bunch last summer. It's a fun little spot to hit for a quick 1-2 hour fish. Most of the time you can come away with at least 5-10 fish in there.

The middle lagoon has good eel grass. I have caught a bunch of halibut in the 1st lagoon drifting from where the houses start down to the marina area. Just slow roll the bottom with 3"-5" swimbaits (like Yakdonut said) and you will get bit.

As of lately, it seems like a ton of people have been in there daily so the bite was realllllyyyy slow yesterday (I cruised for a little bit before sunset) ... but most of the time you can find yourself as the only fisherman in the whole lagoon!

Once you get used to the yak, get outta there and charge the surf! The fishing is way better

Over summer you can get corvina as well, and if your interested in a good fight soak some squid and hold on! Big stingrays and batrays are always cruising around.

Last edited by surfisher; 03-27-2015 at 10:38 PM. Reason: added stuff
surfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:51 PM   #6
GkT

Yep. Plans are to get out on the open water as soon as im comfy on the yak. And better with this abu baitcaster i just bought. Any good fishing at the kelp offshore? Ive always heard there are tons of sandies and calicos out there. Whenever im surfing im always imagining paddling out there with a rod.

Planning on test driving a Tarpon down at OEX tomorrow. Excited, cant wait to get the ball rolling on this boat!
Old 03-27-2015, 07:53 PM   #7
YakDout
Brandon

Aqua hedionda is a great place to start. There are a lot of fish near the 5 freeway. Halibut and SBB mostly. Little 3-5" swimbaits work great there. If you go under I5 from the big section of Lagoon, and make a right after the bridge, tons of eel grass with SBB. Good place to figure out your electronics as well.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote