Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2011, 09:12 AM   #1
dmyaker
Junior

safety gear

im new to the kayak fishing and ive heard some chatter that PFD's are mandatory as well as a net . what about VHF radios, are they mandatory. will i get a ticket the next time i go out if i dont have a life jacket on or can it be stored in the hull. I apologize up front for my ignorance but any info would be great.
dmyaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
old_rookie

If you mean a landing net, I don't consider that safety gear, but I did hear at one time it is required by DFG.

As for a PFD, just keep it on at all times - no worries.

I don't think a radio is not mandatory but strongly suggested. There is another thread talking about that currently.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:14 AM   #3
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyaker View Post
im new to the kayak fishing and ive heard some chatter that PFD's are mandatory as well as a net . what about VHF radios, are they mandatory. will i get a ticket the next time i go out if i dont have a life jacket on or can it be stored in the hull. I apologize up front for my ignorance but any info would be great.
Not sure about the net thing but to go out on a Kayak without a PFD is asking for trouble. If you have it stored in the hull and need it good luck getting to it. I will not go out unless my PFD is on, my life is too important to risk it.

VHF wise you don't have to have one but it's a good safety tool. You may want to research Kayak safety rules a lot of our water ways do have laws that state you need a whistle, PFD, and possibly some other things. If you think of your Kayak as a boat and not a pool toy then you might want to try and have the same safety gear a boat would need.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
dmyaker
Junior

so.... it is mandatory to have some kind of floatation device on or on board?...where can i find the current rules for the san diego area?
dmyaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
old_rookie

http://www.dbw.ca.gov/Pubs/Abc/reqequip.pdf

Life jackets: Vessels less than 16 feet in length, and all canoes and kayaks,
regardless of length, must carry one Type I, II, III, or V Coast Guard-approved life jacket for each person on board. They must be readily accessible and of an appropriate size for the intended wearer.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:48 AM   #6
MrPatrick

Always

Pros: could save your life by keeping you afloat
Could save your life by slowing hypothermia
Could save your life if you get a bright one
With refletive tape

Cons: might be easier to move without one on

I'll take the pros all day!
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:11 AM   #7
Regor
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_rookie View Post
http://www.dbw.ca.gov/Pubs/Abc/reqequip.pdf

Life jackets: Vessels less than 16 feet in length, and all canoes and kayaks,
regardless of length, must carry one Type I, II, III, or V Coast Guard-approved life jacket for each person on board. They must be readily accessible and of an appropriate size for the intended wearer.
Adding a small FYI to this - make sure you check your lake regulations if you go inland. Most lakes require the PFD actually be worn at all times.
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:14 PM   #8
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
Adding a small FYI to this - make sure you check your lake regulations if you go inland. Most lakes require the PFD actually be worn at all times.
Also with this some water ways require some bright orange flag or something to be displayed also for visual safety. Think of it this way, we are not called speed bumps for nothing, we're a little difficult to see at times unless the boat or something is bright.

All any of us can do is recommend something for you, what you do in the end is up to you.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:19 PM   #9
asystole

I agree with these guys, buy a PFD and wear it. Makes sense to make sure you try it on and it fits you and is comfortable otherwise your not going to wear it. On mine I have a very loud whistle for an emergency signaling device, my cell phone in a small clear dry bag that it will actually work through, my VHF handheld and a knife.

Better safe then sorry.
asystole is offline   Reply With Quote