Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2014, 07:45 AM   #1
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

Late Post Arco Island 3/29/14

Was originally going to head down to Newport or Redondo but was asked by a buddy to join him at Arco Island just outside Ventura. Got to the launch around 6:30 to a text stating I would be alone since my friend had to work. Since the last time I've been there the ramp to the beach has lost all the sand between the rocks so it took me a while to work my loaded kayak down to the water. When I showed up there were a few guys fishing the surf and they were all constantly pulling in BSP, one of the guys even said they've pulled a decent butt from there as well. Launched to surf 1' to 2' and quickly made my way over to the bridge to make bait. Bounced a Paddlerz on the bottom at the small artificial reef for almost an hour for nothing and started to make bait. Caught about a dozen smelt in the 6-8" range and trekked over to the island. At the island I ran into 2 other yakkers, one on an old white ocean kayak and the other in a blue cobra I believe. They were both in beater yaks, no seats, no bait tanks, one rod each, and the ocean kayak had a black end from a patch job where apparently the whole rear end was either cracked or just caved in. It showed me that people are doing whatever they can to get out there and fish, even if it means a beater ride without some of the essentials (although a PFD would have been on my list even without a seat). I started on the opposite side of the island working my bait about 10 yards off the island in about 30' of water. Within minutes I was hooked up to a feisty 17" calico followed immediately by an 18" copy. About 30 minutes later I pulled in a 19" cab then....nothing. Drifted around with the bait I had while also throwing some plastics and working them away from the island. I had planned on drifting a little off shore for some butts, but was enjoying drifting around out by the island. Great day on the water to sun and clear skies, but not much to report as catch. I did keep the cab which made for a nice dinner, but never got my OTW pic.
Attached Images

WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:23 AM   #2
momo fish

Nice report. Is this the same as rincon island? Where are you launching from ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:32 AM   #3
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Nice report! Next time you head there would you mind some company? I'm really itching to get out of my bubble and try some new areas. Cambria is on my bucket list too

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:46 AM   #4
momo fish

Same here will. If you ever want to try cambria I'm down to help with cost heading up north. Been up there plenty watching guys launch and lots of guys fish off kayak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:39 AM   #5
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

Will you're more than welcome to join me, it'd make getting the yak down to the beach easier with company. I'm convinced there's some big butts among that stretch of beach and there's always bait to be made. If all else fails that island is pretty good for cabs and calicos.
I'm itching to fish Cambria as well, it's just a stretch for a day trip by myself. Some people call it Rincon island, Arco island, or pierpoint I believe. Easy surf launch though

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:14 PM   #6
Newbie88
Junior

I hope you guys dont mind another guy tagging along. I love to meet some news fishing buddies.
Newbie88 is offline   Reply With Quote