Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 10-26-2015, 06:34 PM   #1
iethinker

Sunday Sunrise Session in South San Diego For Scenes of Serenity, Spotties And Several Species

.....or, SSSSSSSSSS

This is a kayak fishing report for Sunday 10/25 from South San Diego Bay.

I launched from the beach in Chula Vista while it was still barley dark. The tide was as high as I had ever seen and still had two more hours to rise. I did not take any photo at this time assuming it would not turn out well due to the low light. Nevertheless, today's tidal coefficient was to be extreme delivering both the highest and lowest tides I have ever seen here.

I launched, pedaled towards my destination and then stopped to rig some tackle and bait. The water was mirror smooth and shortly after first light the sun tried to rise. Semi-overcast conditions, perfect temperatures and low winds persisted throughout the session. Here are a few pictures showing various shades of color that accompanied first light and sunrise. It was definitely a serene scene and just what I came here for!

Sun's first rays starting over Chula Vista Marina:

The scene turns red as I move south:

The first casts of any productivity were with a 3" Christmas Tree Big Hammer on a 1/4-oz jig-head with 2/0L hook. This yielded a few small Spotted Bay Bass. I also caught Spotties throughout the day using a 1/4-oz blue and chrome Kastmaster. Here are two photos to represent.

Small Spotted Bay Bass likes Christmas Trees:

Another Small Spotted Bay Bass:

I rigged a weedless Carolina Rig with a DOA CAL jerkshad that I brought back with me from Florida. The color is rootbeer and chartruse. Perhaps not so surprising this yielded a San Diego Trout......I mean a Corvina.

Corvina from the DOA jerkshad:

Close-up of DOA jerkshad:

This dink Halibut hit my Kastmaster on the top! Of course this is only in a few feet of water. I tried several more casts for big-brother but no more were to be found.

Halibut:

Further south, I got into a school of Needlefish chasing my Kastmaster. Many chased and struck but only a few stuck. Here is a photo of one of these scissor-mouthed malodorous species.

This Needlefish jumped out of the water many times during the fight. He though he was a Marlin! I still did not want to touch him:

After landing, I took this photo of the beach showing the exposed floor of the bay. That grass and seaweed is normally covered by water. I had to pull my kayak across that soft mud too!

Beach after landing showing low tide:

Unfortunately, the Bonefish were nowhere to be found today. All fish were released unharmed and swam away. Anyway...

...until later...Matt

Last edited by iethinker; 10-26-2015 at 07:28 PM.
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:41 PM   #2
summers in kuwait

Nice post and mixed bag. Images are awesome!
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:27 PM   #3
JeffB

Nice post & nice conditions!
Old 10-26-2015, 09:32 PM   #4
Phishphood

Great report and great photos Matt. Would love to tag along some time as I'm only a few minutes away from the marina but don't know the water there.
Phishphood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:50 PM   #5
Amish Ed

Thanks for the report. Love the photos.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:51 AM   #6
Deamon

Seriously, super sweet safe shots of smooth seas, serene scenery, salt salad and same species of scaly Spotties. BAM! Jim
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:56 AM   #7
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Nice
Old 10-27-2015, 07:39 AM   #8
619-SWIM-DOG

Here is Sundays Sunrise from LJ.
Attached Images

619-SWIM-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:59 AM   #9
buddha

I fish chula vista all the time since I am only a few miles away. Don't be afraid to use larger plastics. Also chatterbaits with 6 inch z man swimmerz have produced legal sized spotties there. Some use spinnerbaits will good success. The chatterbaits have been more productive for me. I am going to start using some pro cure scents now and see if that makes a difference.

If I am available let me know and we can fish the area and try for some bonefish.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:06 AM   #10
Ro12

Nice
Awesome pictures and report
Ro12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:44 PM   #11
iethinker

Yaeh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
Seriously, super sweet safe shots of smooth seas, serene scenery, salt salad and same species of scaly Spotties. BAM! Jim

You Rock!
Old 10-28-2015, 07:46 PM   #12
iethinker

sunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619-SWIM-DOG View Post
Here is Sundays Sunrise from LJ.
Great photo...That sunrise must have been special everywhere on Sunday. I love to see them from the water.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:49 AM   #13
blitzburgh

Great pics man!
Old 10-29-2015, 11:56 AM   #14
joefish808

Awesome report. I hear a lot about the DOA lures from Blair Wiggins, who does the Addictive Fishing show out of Florida, but never see the DOA lures in stores out here in socal. I definitely want to try the jerk shad as well as the swimming mullet DOA lures.
joefish808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 01:28 PM   #15
LEEZO

great post! nice work out there.
LEEZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:29 PM   #16
iethinker

DOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefish808 View Post
Awesome report. I hear a lot about the DOA lures from Blair Wiggins, who does the Addictive Fishing show out of Florida, but never see the DOA lures in stores out here in socal. I definitely want to try the jerk shad as well as the swimming mullet DOA lures.
There are so many soft plastics on the market. I have seen Blair Wiggins' show too so I was aware of DOA. I happened to be tackle shopping for some gulp at the K-Mart in Key-Largo, FL and I saw the DOAs right beside. They were less than half the price and claim to be made with bait-fish so I took the chance.

I can't say I fished them enough to say they are better or worse than gulp at this point. I like the groove on the top to protect the tip of the hook when going weedless and of course I prefer the price. I especially like that they don't dry-out. Gulp is still a go to bait even locally in FL. I have caught many fish on gulp in both CA and FL.

As far as swimming lures, I'm not ready to give up the Big Hammers yet.

The DOA shrimp are pretty popular in FL but I don't know if they will have a market here.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:26 AM   #17
JohnMckroidJr

Great photos, Nice post, Sometimes the scenary can make the trip.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:33 PM   #18
Johnny343434
Junior

Hey beautiful pics man, I can't wait till I get back into the water, just recently moved here and looking for some like minded fishing buddies, let me know if any of y'all want to make a trip this weekend, still getting familiar with the areas.
Johnny343434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:28 PM   #19
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny343434 View Post
Hey beautiful pics man, I can't wait till I get back into the water, just recently moved here and looking for some like minded fishing buddies, let me know if any of y'all want to make a trip this weekend, still getting familiar with the areas.
I'm in Yucaipa, not too far from you. Normally I would be going out this coming weekend but I told my grandson I would take him to hunter safety course this weekend. Next weekend will probably find us fishing if you want to join us.
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote