Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 12-15-2016, 10:17 AM   #1
5-20

Hobie Outback Storage Stand -- Using a Heavy Duty Tool Stand

Just came into possession of a super nice 2015 Hobie Outback, the same one listed by Yakdout. Pretty stoked, I couldn't have done half as nice a job of rigging it as Brandon did. Really excited about having a boat again!

Anyway, I have the yak laying flat on the floor right now. I came across an older thread that suggested using a work stand like this one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/200-lb-...and-38778.html

Any of you use something similar? Any issues with the hull deforming in any way?

Even tho it comes with foam cushions, I would probably replace them with thicker pool noodles.

One thing, though. I keep on coming across those recommendations that say outbacks should be stored hull up or on a J rack, but having the seat side up would probably be the most convenient thing and I would really prefer to try to store my yak this way if its not really going to affect the hull.

On an unrelated note, I'm thinking I would really like to try to get out in SD Bay this Saturday or Sunday and try to find some Halibut. Any of you up for that?
5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 12:05 PM   #2
Chuck D

I have the same rack and use it for my Outback. It does not fit it perfectly. With the shape of the hull it usually moves from one side to the other. It is also a little bit flimsy and can fall down at times. That being said it does work for my kayak when I need a mobile, light rack and it has not done any damage to the hull. It's a good investment, however there are a lot of better ideas out there with PVC if you have the time and ingenuity... Good luck, drag that trap through the bay at about 30ft with a mack and you should find a butt or two as well. Tight lines.

D
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:40 PM   #3
Rocketfish

I use a sawhorse which is a tad cheaper than your stand, but from the same store!

http://www.harborfreight.com/foldabl...rse-61979.html

it works with my 2015 outback, you just need to put the saw horses a little closer to the ends, upside down of course. I haven't noticed any deformations of any kind since it's upside down.
Rocketfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:46 PM   #4
Baja_Traveler

Might be more than you want to spend, but I use a Racor lift to get my PA14 off the garage floor so I can park my car under it. Works great with a couple of lengths of 2" pvc to cradle the hull tunnels.

https://www.amazon.com/Racor-PHL-1R-.../dp/B0009I8AO6
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:53 PM   #5
5-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketfish View Post
I use a sawhorse which is a tad cheaper than your stand, but from the same store!

http://www.harborfreight.com/foldabl...rse-61979.html

it works with my 2015 outback, you just need to put the saw horses a little closer to the ends, upside down of course. I haven't noticed any deformations of any kind since it's upside down.

Hmm, wouldn't I need two of them, making it more expensive than the stand I am interested in.

Haha okay, i'll probably give the stand a shot until I build something slightly better. Thanks.

Keep the halibut tips coming tho!!! 30 feet of water you say?!
Old 12-15-2016, 08:38 PM   #6
5-20

Picked up that exact harbor freight stand about an hour ago. Thought the package felt kind of light in the store, even for something rated up to #200. But at $20 it was worth a shot anyway.

Had the outback wobbling back and forth on it for five seconds and I told myself there was no way I was leaving the Hobie on that thing. Would've cried if I came back later to find it smashed in a bunch of pieces. That thing's got way too much mojo, I gotta make sure I carry that on somehow. So yeah I quickly put the yak back on the floor.

I think I'll sniff around Home Depot and see what I can throw together.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:53 PM   #7
socal.beach.bum

Just look for an old jet ski stand on CL. Prob get one for about $100-$125. Caster for easy transport too. Perfect
socal.beach.bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:04 PM   #8
5-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal.beach.bum View Post
Just look for an old jet ski stand on CL. Prob get one for about $100-$125. Caster for easy transport too. Perfect
Hmm, just ran through some of those ads on CL. That does seem like it could really work and be pretty convenient. Thanks.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:34 PM   #9
filippo

I bought 2 Coleman Rambler II Stools. About $10 each. Supports up to 225 lbs (per stool). I place my Outback 2016's ends on each stool and it sits flat, super stable. I like that it's foldable so it molds nicely with the shape of the hull. It's light and small too, so it's easy to carry if needed. Looked everywhere, Dicks, Wal-Mart, but could not find any locally.

One of the best purchases for my yak so far.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by filippo; 12-16-2016 at 12:11 PM.
filippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:43 AM   #10
Apex

Diy opiton, lumber stand with Pvc as bunks. Mine has held up nicly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160606_183718-1.jpg (31.6 KB, 113 views)
Old 12-16-2016, 09:21 AM   #11
Rocketfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-20 View Post
Hmm, wouldn't I need two of them, making it more expensive than the stand I am interested in.
You're RIGHT! I think I got the pair during one of them sidewalk sales they frequently have. might've been $7 or $8 each. I do like that coleman option though.. it looks perfect and I won't have to mess with inverting my yak.
Rocketfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:13 AM   #12
Saba Slayer

Sawhorses

I have two storage racks I use...
One has PVC pipes for the upright PA storage and the other is just 2"x4"s for the upside-down storage (as approved by Hobie) of the Island Yaks.

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 04:46 PM   #13
5-20

Appreciate all of the pictures and suggestions!
Old 12-16-2016, 04:54 PM   #14
PescadorPete

Saw horse brackets from the "Po".

PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote