Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-26-2017, 05:43 PM   #21
Fishing619

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBentRod View Post
My Lowrance Elite 4 works great, my Hook 5 sucks when it freezes and works great when it is not freezing.
This is what I was told by the store, the Elit and the hook are the same unit with the difference of the touchscreen, also the person told me if I get the warranty on it I can change it at any time just by saying that the unit is not working as I expected, so with that being said I didn’t want to expend $300 more for a touchscreen.
Fishing619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:02 PM   #22
CON KSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
Very user friendly interface. The settings were easy to dial in to be able to see details via sonar and DSI. Split screen function is solid, and using the two in combo (sonar and DSI) you can get some really great readings. I could see baitfish details in 15' of water.

The transducer is huge, but with a little creativity you can make it work. Boats that are designed with built-in options or are designed with large ducers in mind are going to be a lot easier to install. Mine isn't, so I went with a DIY over-the-gunwale install with PVC and RAM accessories. IT was a PITA but I made it work.

Raymarine makes a cover for the unit that actually covers the rear of the unit. I'll be picking up one of those for beach launches and landings. It wont be 100% water tight but it should help the splash factor.

The chart/GPS seems to be the only soft spot. Although I say that after one time out on the water so after I get a bit more used to it, I think it will be fine.

I really, REALLY like the Navionics software, but that can be had with other units so I'm not tying that directly to my review of the Raymarine hardware.
Good stuff - thanks for the info.

Since my Hook5 died an early death the first time around, I've very wary of this replacement. I like the info that it provides for me but the whole "splashing it will kill it thing" is worrisome. It sounds as if all brands need to have some care taken with splashing/hosing down/submersing.

I don't find the Lowrance interface to be that user-friendly, good to hear there may be a better option out there.

I'm hoping that mine won't die soon but am definitely gathering up as much info on other brands as I can. Thanks again.
CON KSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:27 PM   #23
TheBentRod

Yeah, my year is up in November and I also spent for the warranty. I will take it back this month for a replacement because this freaking think gets on my nerve. I do like the track back feature a lot. found many fish that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishing619 View Post
This is what I was told by the store, the Elit and the hook are the same unit with the difference of the touchscreen, also the person told me if I get the warranty on it I can change it at any time just by saying that the unit is not working as I expected, so with that being said I didn’t want to expend $300 more for a touchscreen.
TheBentRod is offline   Reply With Quote