Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 02-08-2018, 05:15 PM   #1
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
makobob needs HELP

Past, present, future.X Yesterday, today, tomorrow.X Your life rolls on, day by day, week by week.X The "past" is all of your yesterdays.X The "present" is today. Your "future" starts tomorrow.X What will it hold.X Most of us do not know.X I know that Baja is in my future.X And for a friend of mine, Steven Green, chemo starts very soon.

The things you did in the past and are doing now, you may not be able to do in the future.X As time goes on how will you adapt to lifes changes?X How will you cope?X Can you continue to live the life you want?X What can you do to insure your life does not change too much?X These are the questions that worry me.

I now know they will take my infected foot.X The call the surgery a BKA.X Below the Knee Amputation.X Basically they cut the leg bones above the bottom of the calf.X XThen they fold over lower part of the calf to cover and protect the bone ends, stitch it up, wait for it to heal.XX

As it is healing it is "shaped" to fit a socket for an artifical leg.X As the shaping is taking place the STUMP is desensitezed.X After it is healed the prostecisis is fitted and you relearn how to walk again.X This process takes time.X Some are walking in 6 months.X This process take most people longer.

The inital wound will usually surface heal in a month to 6 weeks.X Shaping the stump and reducing the sensations in the leg, maybe a two to four months.X Then the fitting of the new appendage and finally learning to balance and walk again.X It is a long process, wish I could have started yesterday.

As you learn to walk again, confidence must be built.X Walking on a flat, level surface is tough enough, but I want to be able to walk on SAND, beach rocks, desert roads too.X So I know there will be a long road for me to walk to return to Baja.X But Baja makes my life worth living, so I will walk that road with a smile on my face no matter how much it might hurt.

Yesterday they told me my surgery would take place next week.X The past, yesterday is history, and today leads to tomorrow.X Getting back to Baja and my future for me will be a long bumpy maybe painful road.X But get there I MUST.X "Baja or Bust" is moore then just a slogan, for me it is a way of life that I share with my friends.XX

Speaking of friends, a couple have asked me lately if there was ANYTHING they could do for me.X I told them that I have a friend in need, Steven Green, AKA "landwhale".X So help me help Steven.X PLEASE go to the "A chance to help Landwhale" thread on BigWatersEdge and donate what you can.X Or maybe someone can post the link here for me.XX

Having beat cancer Steven is now fighting a brain tumor.X Anything you can give will go to medical his expenses.X Thank you for helping me help a friend, as to me that is what friends are for.X Steven I hope to sea you on the water soon amigo.X Tight Lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:50 AM   #2
Hunters Pa

As requested, here is the link to Steve's page:

https://www.gofundme.com/funds-to-he...ow-fight-again
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:23 AM   #3
Orca Winfrey

There’s a problem with his gofundme page. It says he needs to log in and he can fix it.
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:25 AM   #4
Iceman
Administrator

link looks to be working now
Old 02-09-2018, 08:42 AM   #5
landwhale

Don't know what happened to the page I posted an update and it is working now. I will get the schedule of radiation treatments the first of next week and have been told there is no chemo for brain tumors though there are other treatments possible. Thank You all for your prayers and support it really helps me to keep putting one foot in front of the other to keep moving forward every day.

Thanks Bob you are a real inspiration to me

Steve

landwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:27 PM   #6
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by landwhale View Post
Don't know what happened to the page I posted an update and it is working now. I will get the schedule of radiation treatments the first of next week and have been told there is no chemo for brain tumors though there are other treatments possible. Thank You all for your prayers and support it really helps me to keep putting one foot in front of the other to keep moving forward every day.

Thanks Bob you are a real inspiration to me

Steve
Thank you Steve, the surgeon just gave me the surgery date. 27 Februrary will be FOOT BE GONE day. So 18 days and counting. Happy days are coming.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 02-17-2018, 09:01 AM   #7
brew
I Exercise Fish

Bob,

My best fishing partner (And Uncle), lost his leg about mid calf 20+ years ago stepping on a downed power line he didn't see under the snow.

Anyway, we fish slippery rock covered rivers in Utah and Idaho. This is about the toughest walking conditions I know of and he has no problems. Even in the beginning he got the hang of it pretty quick and was back fishing and taking pictures (He's a photographer for a living).

Also, cannabis helped him a lot with phantom itching / pain in his foot, as well as kept a smile on his face through the process. A lot of my family was pretty old school in their thinking about this until they saw how much it helped him.

Good luck. Hope to see you in Baja some time.

Tim
brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:00 PM   #8
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
Bob,

My best fishing partner (And Uncle), lost his leg about mid calf 20+ years ago stepping on a downed power line he didn't see under the snow.

Anyway, we fish slippery rock covered rivers in Utah and Idaho. This is about the toughest walking conditions I know of and he has no problems. Even in the beginning he got the hang of it pretty quick and was back fishing and taking pictures (He's a photographer for a living).

Also, cannabis helped him a lot with phantom itching / pain in his foot, as well as kept a smile on his face through the process. A lot of my family was pretty old school in their thinking about this until they saw how much it helped him.

Good luck. Hope to see you in Baja some time.

Tim
Thanks Tim, 5 days from now the foot will be gone about mid calf. Then the healing will begin, and I will take my first steps on the road to being a Baja pirate. I plan on being in Baja by the end of April and again the third week in May to do a corvina exploratory trip. Yep that cobble stone beach just north of mako-ville will be a real test for me. But those corvina keep calling. Tight Lines amigo.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN