Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
walrus

New Bass regulations most likely?

Read this the San Diego Union Tribune; IMO it's better to have the fish managed than have area's completely close to fishing due to incomplete science and lies.

new regulations anticipated for saltwater bass

Written by
Ed Zieralski
It’s probably not going to happen right away, but recreational anglers can expect a big change in regulations regarding calico bass, sand bass and possibly spotted bay bass within a year.

The Santa Barbara Independent reported Saturday that state Fish and Game officials who met in Santa Barbara last Wednesday agreed that new regulations were needed for those fisheries to prevent further decline.

Erica Jarvis, a Fish and Game researcher, and other state Fish and Game fisheries biologists suggest that the Fish and Game Commission consider three measures to allow the ocean and bay bass to repopulate.

According to the news report, the measures include a “reduction in the bag limit, which currently allows fishermen to catch 10 fish a day; an increase in the size limit, to 13 inches or larger, to ensure that younger fish will have more time to reproduce; and the possibility of a seasonal closure of two weeks or more during the peak of the spawning season.

The commission may also choose to consider restrictions on where charter boats may fish during the season.

Captain Ron Baker, who runs the Point Loma for owner Fred Huber, spoke at the December meeting of the Fish and Game Commission in San Diego and said he was in favor of reducing the limit to five bass.

Jarvis’ figures showed the barred sand bass catch has fallen by 85 percent since 2001, and the calico or kelp bass catch has fallen by more than 70 percent since the 1980s.

Both species represent the most targeted fish by recreational anglers in Southern California. But Fish and Game Commissioner Richard Rogers questioned the use of a Scripps Institution of Oceanography report that blamed the sportfishing industry for the decline.

“The ocean is immensely complex,” Rogers said. “It’s easy to point at fishing because it’s far easier to see and document than other factors.”
Rogers and Michael Sutton represented the Fish and Game Commission at the meeting.
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:48 PM   #2
deepdvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by walrus View Post
But Fish and Game Commissioner Richard Rogers questioned the use of a Scripps Institution of Oceanography report that blamed the sportfishing industry for the decline.

“The ocean is immensely complex,” Rogers said. “It’s easy to point at fishing because it’s far easier to see and document than other factors.”
Rogers and Michael Sutton represented the Fish and Game Commission at the meeting.

Wow! That clown is actually defending us fisherman. I'm guessing that excerpt is only part of what he actually said. Or they are kissing their commission president's AS*.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #3
Amish Ed

Don't like the closure idea. But I'm in favor of reduced bag limits, and I think a slot limit would be better than just increasing the size limit.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:45 AM   #4
Nic D

thats great.. Im all for changing the bag limits. But the problem isn't the fishermen its those damn seals.

instagram - @DRAGO619
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:33 AM   #5
catchnfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Don't like the closure idea. But I'm in favor of reduced bag limits, and I think a slot limit would be better than just increasing the size limit.
x2
catchnfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:00 AM   #6
Iceman
Administrator

management............what a concept.........I'm all in
Old 03-18-2012, 07:57 AM   #7
Yakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamarack Studios View Post
thats great.. Im all for changing the bag limits. But the problem isn't the fishermen its those damn seals.
those seals make a huge problem but as for fish and game they are more endangered as the great white its just like in florida with the seagulls.. while fishing in the keys you use to be able to shoot the gulls that try taking your bait now you do that they put you in prison as long as killing a human
but I'm all in favor for lowering the limit
Yakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:23 AM   #8
Willy

I'm all for it.
When was the last time you or any other 'yakker you know took home 10 calicos?
I'd guess never.

Ever check some of the 'other' fishing forums? Dudes talk about taking limits of calicos all the time.

That's a lot of calicos if you've got five guys on a boat.

I've got no problems with an attempt to reduce bag limits.

Management vs closure. What a concept.

Willy
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:58 AM   #9
Billy V

Re-0pen everything back up and then start with management.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #10
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

Is slot like you can take fish between 15-22? That would make the most sense.

I wasn't involved for the MLPA stuff but I'm wondering if rolling closures were ever brought up. Like one area would be closed for a few years then reopen and another area would be closed.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:24 AM   #11
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post
Re-0pen everything back up and then start with management.
x2
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:37 AM   #12
Amish Ed

Yeah, slot limits set a size range. This gives smaller fish the chance to breed and leaves bigger breeding stock alone as well.

I do think that sport boats contribute to the problem. Reducing bag limits would definitely take off pressure. Related to that, in 5 years as a deckhand I never once saw a sea lion eat a bass. I'm sure it happens, but I've thrown a lot of bass at sea lions and never had a taker. But, they sure do reek havoc on a lot of other species. They need to be controlled, they are way over populated.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:42 AM   #13
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
x2
X 3. I don't know why it took them this long to figure out that MANAGEMENT works.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #14
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

For management to work they would need more enforcement, and hard to find the money for that. I imagine fiscally it's much cheaper to close an area to fishing than enforce limits. I wonder how much they'd have to raise the price on a fishing license.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #15
kobra

The bag limit should have been reduced a long time ago.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #16
Amish Ed

Enforcement of a lower bag limit would be no different than what they do today. At the very least the sport boats would follow the law and save a lot of fish.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #17
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
By Closures do you mean full closure or the closure of a season for a couple of weeks? I like the idea of lowering the daily limit for bass and all fish, changing the size regulations, and having seasonal closures during the spawning times. Closing off areas to fish needs to go away.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #18
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
For management to work they would need more enforcement, and hard to find the money for that. I imagine fiscally it's much cheaper to close an area to fishing than enforce limits. I wonder how much they'd have to raise the price on a fishing license.
I think it would be more difficult to manage closed areas than bag limits. The sport boats will throw more fish back, like they should have been doing long ago. Personally it's a good start, and I think people are realizing how much impact the loss of jobs to the state may be.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #19
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

I wasn't thinking about sport boats. I've never been on one but imagine they do a good job Of policing themselves.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #20
Amish Ed

Sport boats definitely keep within the regulations. There is really hefty fines for them if they get caught screwing up.