Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-02-2018, 06:23 PM   #1
ivan1982

Looking for a small boat

Hey guys I know this is not kayak fishing related but I know some of you guys can help me with some tips, I have a pro angler 14 and I fish La Jolla once in a while, I have to kids and every time they ask me when can I take them with me so I decided to look for a boat, I’ve seen some aluminum boats every time I’m kayaking, does anyone of you guys own one? I don’t want a 14’ I’m looking for at least an 18’ to make it a little safer something big enough to take my 2 boys and a friend so I have a few questions. How far are La Jolla kelp beds from mission bay? How safe is an advices or recommendations? My budget is about $8000 and I’m open to boats other than a aluminum boat, I’ve seen all this boats for sale on Craigslist and OfferUp but I know some of those can’t handle ocean waters, hopefully you guys can give me some good advices, not selling my kayak by the way, I love kayak fishing. THANK YOU.
ivan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:29 PM   #2
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
14ft Livingston catamaran hull

25....to...40hp outboard very sea worthy boat
If you can find one
Not sure how big they make them.

Last edited by MITCHELL; 09-02-2018 at 07:09 PM.
MITCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:41 PM   #3
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

May not be suitable for your plans, but I know kids love it:

I have an elegantly built sailing/rowing dinghy I don't use. It's stored in a garage near SDSU. The hull is fiberglass cast with the shape of planks for it's "aerodynamics" in the water. I'm not enough of a boat person to tell you what that's called, but it's classic design element. The gunwales are trimmed out in mahogany. Mahogany plank seat. Beautiful varnished wood mast, old school out of primo quality fine-grain lumber I rarely see anymore. Single sail with wood battens on the trailing edge, no jib. Wood oars. I think I once tracked numbers cast into the hull to a Japanese company, but that was a long time ago and I can't remember exactly what I was able to find out about it. High quality design and workmanship. Sails very easy and slick in the water with minimal drag. Great fun for kids in the bay. I bought about $100 of finishing materials at Marine West to do some minor cosmetic restoration, but there it sits collecting dust. I've collected a couple extra sets of original style oar-locks for it as era-appropriate backup. Also have a mushroom anchor if you want to stop somewhere comfortable and drop your lines or take a nap.

Aye, Mate! Too many fun things to do, too little time!

I was thinking about building a vintage "boat trailer camper" to pull around behind my 1936 Ford Pickup for road trips. Sadly, I seriously doubt I'm going to get around to that idea in this lifetime.

If anyone is interested, this is my direct email: niceguy92115@gmail.com

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 09-02-2018 at 08:08 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:47 PM   #4
battleborn

I have a 14 Livingston with a 30 hp evinrude great skiff. I fish with my 2 kids all the time. good luck with your search!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
battleborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:21 AM   #5
Hunters Pa

$8k? Can find a decent center console for that budget
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 12:05 PM   #6
ivan1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by battleborn View Post
I have a 14 Livingston with a 30 hp evinrude great skiff. I fish with my 2 kids all the time. good luck with your search!

How far are the kelp beds from mission bay?
Old 09-03-2018, 12:06 PM   #7
ivan1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
$8k? Can find a decent center console for that budget
That’s what I have on mind a center console
Old 09-03-2018, 02:11 PM   #8
sdyeti

It's basically 8 miles from Mission Bay entrance to La jolla and 8.5-9.0 to the SD Bay entrance. Add to that the 2 miles from Dana Landing to the Mission Bay entrance.

With a little luck you can find an older boston Whaler Montauk with a 2 stroke older outbaord for your budget. I think that would definitely do the job for you another adult and two kids as long as the adults are no yeti sized.

You might be able to scratch out a Skipjack 20 with that budget as well.

Last edited by sdyeti; 09-03-2018 at 02:22 PM. Reason: another idea
sdyeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:57 AM   #9
battleborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdyeti View Post
It's basically 8 miles from Mission Bay entrance to La jolla and 8.5-9.0 to the SD Bay entrance. Add to that the 2 miles from Dana Landing to the Mission Bay entrance.

With a little luck you can find an older boston Whaler Montauk with a 2 stroke older outbaord for your budget. I think that would definitely do the job for you another adult and two kids as long as the adults are no yeti sized.

You might be able to scratch out a Skipjack 20 with that budget as well.
agree. boats are one of those things that you just want what you dont have...you want the bigger boat to bring everyone out...only life schedules get in the the way and you have a boat that cost a bunch of gas...so you want the small boat so you can get out more economically...get the boat you want for what you want to do. So if your friends or kids cant go then it's no hassle to load, fuel, fish, and clean good luck with your search.

battleborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:14 AM   #10
Denis_Ruso

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/th...ontauk.694904/

Whaler Montauk would be a good choice, unsinkable and great resale value.

Other then that I'd check out the aluminum bayrunners as its a lot less work to maintain those.(no worries about fiberglass cracking, plywood inside rotting or gel coat wearing down),

You will be hard pressed to find something in decent condition around 8k without having to put a lot of money into it on the back end. Boats are expensive, more you spend on the front end the less you will have to deal with on the back end. All the things that make it dialed in for ocean fishing cost a lot of money so buying one that is already dialed in will save you lots of money on the back end.

How I would look at a used small boat:

1 Engine - A healthy engine is most important as it is most of the value of used older boat. An 8000$ boat is worth 500-700 without a running engine. Check to make sure there is good compression and I would stick to Fuel Injected electric start 4 stroke motors if possible. 2 stroke would be cheaper but its more noisy and you have to always mix oil into your fuel and they are touchy if you don't know what you're doing. Fuel injected is more reliable as carburetors get clogged or de-tune over time.

Make sure shifting is smooth and listed to how the engine runs. Make sure the trim goes up and down smoothly as well. Check how it steers and if the power steering makes noise or leaks.

2 Hull - Shape and condition - Hull shape will determine if it is ocean boat or a boat that is meant for the lake. Research what you want for what you are using it for. The taller the bow the better it will take swell but the heavier the boat will be.

Inspect the hull for soft spots or repairs. Usually places like the transom are fiberglass over plywood. If the plywood gets wet, it will begin to rot and create soft spots. Same with any fiberglass that crack from stress can create soft spots.

3 Electrical - Boats are notorious for DIY electrical work. Make sure everything is wired correctly with marine wiring. Even with proper work over time can go bad over time. Salt water kills everything so test every little switch and button.

Bilge pump and backup bilge pump. Float switch is a plus.

Also this is where all the features can add $$$. Windlass (anchor puller), radar, sonar, side scan, auto pilot, deck lighting, livewell pumps, tachometer, radio, speakers.

4 Gas Tank - Will determine your range, but also older boats may need the gas tank replaced. Do a little research on this as well, depending on what kind of gas tank some will corrode. I don't know enough about this subject but I hear that they have to pulled about every 15/20 years so if you're buying a 20 year old boat, the whole floor may need to be pulled out to replace the gas tank.

5 All the little things, rod storage, bait tank, anchor with appropriate amount of chain and rope, safety equipment, vhf radio, life jackets, dock ties, deck lights, tower/shade canopy, tackle storage, gaff, bait net, compass, trolling motor, kill bag/cooler, bumpers.

Don't forget to inspect the condition of the trailer. This is another place where costs can add up.

Anyways that's just a gist, I kinda overcommitted to this write up and lost steam. Forgot how extensive this topic is so I'm sure I missed a few things. Best thing you can do is pay a surveyor 100$ to check the boat and possibly save you thousands in the long run if you are not knowledgeable about boats.

EDIT:

Some boats in your price range:

Bayrunner
Whaler Montauk
Bayliner Trophy
Skipjack (know what you're getting into on this one, older boat, more features, more shit to break, often inboard engine which is hard to access/work on in some cases. if its inboard then you also have to worry about the outdrive)

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.

Last edited by Denis_Ruso; 09-04-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote