Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 10-08-2016, 04:33 AM   #1
tacmik

Mentors Needed

Only two events are left for this year. How is trying to make them the largest and best events to date in an incredible year. We need your help to do it. Fishing has been slowing down a lot and it would be a great excuse to get out of the house and away from the honey do list while putting a smile on the face a Vet. Please volunteer and help us send our Vets into the Holidays with a happy memory and a grin on their face. We can not do it without your help. Mike
Old 10-08-2016, 05:11 AM   #2
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
I'm in for....

Both events as a volunteer
Old 10-10-2016, 07:59 AM   #3
Mr_Fixit

I will help, though I am not sure what the events are or when. I have been lacking energy to get out, so being part of something would be a big help.
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:40 AM   #4
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacmik View Post
Only two events are left for this year. How is trying to make them the largest and best events to date in an incredible year. We need your help to do it. Fishing has been slowing down a lot and it would be a great excuse to get out of the house and away from the honey do list while putting a smile on the face a Vet. Please volunteer and help us send our Vets into the Holidays with a happy memory and a grin on their face. We can not do it without your help. Mike
Being a bit more specific on what you would like people to do might inspire more volunteers.

Unfortunately, I live to far away to participate in these San Diego events. However, I have seen many posts about HOW and the wonderful events you guys put on. But I am still hazy on what it is you guys actually do or HOW your events are structured...

What is it that you need someone to volunteer for? For someone who isn't already involved in the fishing community, what would someone like me be signing up to do if we volunteered?

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:24 PM   #5
tacmik

For those that are not sure what is entailed. Quite simply, we take our Vets out fishing for the day and feed them lunch. As a Mentor, we appreciate it if you could arrive around 6 to 6:15 in the morning and help unload the trailer, help set up, and take two to three Vets under you wing and assist them in a great day of kayak fishing. Lend them a hand with the fish they catch, and have a good time and get some fishing in yourself. The mentors that wish to stay on shore may help in the launching and recovery of the kayaks when the Vets come back to shore. May also be asked to help set up and/or prepare lunch. At the end of the day, (usually around 2 to 2:30) Help us to reload the trailer. These last two events of the year, we are hoping to max out the number of Vets that we take out and to do so, really need the help of our kayak community to make these the best and largest going into the Holidays. As always, we greatly appreciate the volunteers that help us and the Vets out. It is also a time that you can meet some of the other kayak fishermen and learn a few tips and new techniques or places to launch and fish. Thanks. Mike

Last edited by tacmik; 10-10-2016 at 04:31 PM.
tacmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:51 AM   #6
Mr_Fixit

That sounds like a lot of fun (I am also a vat, but want to help). Just a couple questions:

1) When? (Date, you listed the launch/land time)
2) Where? (I assume La Jolla?)
3) What should we bring?
Old 10-11-2016, 12:55 PM   #7
monstahfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Fixit View Post
I will help, though I am not sure what the events are or when. I have been lacking energy to get out, so being part of something would be a big help.
Hi Mr. Fixit, the event is basically we get together in the morning, set up fishing rods and kayaks on the beach and then the vets arrive and we take them kayak fishing and then enjoy a fish taco lunch afterward. It's recreation therapy so just getting some of these vets out of the house and on the water helps them make the next steps in their lives or relieves stress and helps them get through ptsd, tbi or other difficulties. Even just them coming and seeing we're all there to support them is helping. It's really rewarding and cool to give back. https://www.eventbrite.com/e/heroes-...ts-26870864479 This event will be Oct. 22 at tidelands. Nov 19 will be at OEX in mission bay.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:45 PM   #8
tacmik

Hey. Giving a shout out to all of those who have helped out HOW in the past. It may have been awhile since you last came out to an event. We are in need of Mentors for the upcoming Oct. 22nd event at Tidelands. If it's been awhile since you have been to an event. Please consider coming out and seeing what we have grown to be. We are trying to go into the holidays with the largest and best events possible. We can only do it with your help. Thanks. Mike
Old 10-13-2016, 05:40 PM   #9
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Mike, how many mentors do we still need???

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacmik View Post
Hey. Giving a shout out to all of those who have helped out HOW in the past. It may have been awhile since you last came out to an event. We are in need of Mentors for the upcoming Oct. 22nd event at Tidelands. If it's been awhile since you have been to an event. Please consider coming out and seeing what we have grown to be. We are trying to go into the holidays with the largest and best events possible. We can only do it with your help. Thanks. Mike

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:48 AM   #10
monstahfish

I would say another 4 mentors would really help. We have 31 vets with a few of their kids likely to come as well for this event! Come make a difference.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:50 AM   #11
jruiz
Large Member

Mentor virgin here. I'm in
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:50 AM   #12
Hunters Pa

Working on the kitchen pass
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:55 AM   #13
Mr_Fixit

As I said, add me to the list of mentors. I can at least prevent someone from getting kilt. Hopefully help someone catch some fish in the process.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:29 AM   #14
chris138
donkey roper

I registered as shore based volunteer, but if OTW mentors are more needed i can do either.

Do mentors need to bring their own boat?
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 04:10 PM   #15
tacmik

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
I registered as shore based volunteer, but if OTW mentors are more needed i can do either.

Do mentors need to bring their own boat?
Yes. Please bring your own yak. You will be more comfortable in it and we use ours for the Vets. In a pinch, you can use one of ours if available.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:20 PM   #16
FISH11

Unhappy

Wish I could be there and help, but I will be at The Grand Canyon on vacation.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:21 PM   #17
Geno Machino
"Relax"

I've unfortunately and regrettably will and have missed all the events so far this year due to work.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:42 AM   #18
tacmik

btt
Old 10-17-2016, 01:37 PM   #19
Hydronaut

Send a message via Yahoo to Hydronaut
I will be there Mike... Tim
Hydronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 02:09 PM   #20
tacmik

Awesome. Thanks Tim. Mike