Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2023, 03:01 PM   #1
Mahigeer

Turkiye Trip 09012023 Long w/lots of pic.

TURKIYE TRIP 09/01/2023

Note: This report is more than just "look what I caught" report. Type of travel, family history, etc. report.
I hope it is informative as well.

After a 10-year period, I wanted to visit Istanbul, Turkiye once again. As a background information following may help to understand why a Persian born in Tehran, Iran wants to visit Istanbul, Turkiye?

My grandfather (Haji Hashim) migrated from Azerbaijan state in Iran (pronounced E run) to Istanbul, Turkiye before my dad was born. Thus, my dad along with his sisters and one older brother were born and grew up in Istanbul. My GF was too proud to become a Turkish citizen, so his family was considered Iranian. My dad who loved living in America, tried to migrate to USA at 19 years old, but was not allowed. Then he moves to Tehran, Iran and marries my mom. Me and two older brothers were born and raised in Tehran, Iran. However, every year or every other year we would travel to Istanbul in summer via bus and then a train to visit my father side of the family. We would be treated like Sultan and his family. I have a lot of great memories from that time.

When I was 16 years old (1967), I went to Istanbul and finished high school in Istanbul. The best three years of my life/youth was spent in Istanbul.

On October 20th, 1970 (which I celebrate) I entered LAX. I have been back to Turkiye several times, but not Iran. But, that is story for another time.

Anyhow, the purpose of the trip was to visit my dads' final resting place in an Iranian cemetery in Istanbul, visit my father side of relatives, visit my old stomping grounds such as high school, where I lived and some nostalgic locations as well as places that I had not seen before. In that order.

More than you wanted to know, but I hope it helps to set the mood.

Here is the report:

1-Wating at the gate for my flight to Munich, Germany. Then to Bodrum, Turkiye.

I spent the first week in Bodrum which it has become a very popular location to visit.
A very close friends who live in Los Angeles have a summer townhouse there. I did the same 10 years ago.

2-Our view from the townhouse in Bodrum.

I tried casting some lures from the small pier there, but no takers. Later I used mask and snorkel and saw some fish including mullets.

3-Amazing how these natural holes are so symmetric.

4-Sample of a Turkish breakfast in a garden setting.

After the week, I flew to Istanbul to stay for a month.

5-When I lived in Istanbul; every day I would take a trip on a similar ferry to cross the Straight of Bosphorus.
It connects the Black Sea to Sea of Marmara, to go from home to school and back.
From Asia to Europe in half an hr. A very leisurely trip.

6-Galata Bridge on the European side. One of the most famous bridges in Istanbul as well as Turkiye.

7-An angler fishing on the bridge.

8-The catch of one angler, Horse Mackerel. I used to catch much bigger ones before.
About the size of our more common Spanish/Jack Mackerel. They sell it on the bridge.

9-One of the many fish markets in Istanbul.

To see the price in US Dollars, divide the shown number by 27. The rate while I was there.

10-A Red Gurnard called Kirlangich in Turkish caught by an angler using cut bait.

I decided to go fishing on the Asian side and took a taxi. We looked for where anglers were and I got out.

11-You can just park for free and start casting. How great is that?
I did not see any parking meters anywhere.

12-Some anglers were casting far as I was at the beginning, then when they saw I was dropping the rig and pulling string full of fish,
they stopped casting.

13-Though I did not count, but a lot of Horse Mackerel were caught.

Notice the lack of any railing.

14-Only touristic locations had railing for protection.

15-A Turkish version of pier cart. I should have bought a cheap cart to haul my fishing backpack which weighed about 17 lbs.
Because of the convenience of riding taxi, I used them a lot. The US Dollar to Turkish Lira exchange made it very reasonable.
Besides, at my age my body is more important than money.

16-If you go to the end of the picture and make a left, you will end up in Black Sea. Across the water is the European side.

17-This time was the last time that I fished on the Straight of Bosphorus. On the Asian side.

18-While casting for Horse Mackerel called Stavrit in Turkish, I caught a Needle fish looking fish called Zargana in Turkish.

A great bait to use for catching big Blue Fish. The Blue Fish in Turkish has different names depending on it size.

19-A Mullet called Kefal in Turkish was caught using a rig called Cypress rig and bread by this angler. On the Asian side.

20-This picture taken from a cruise boat while doing a 2 hrs. tour of the Straight of Bosphorus.
It is where I fished on the European side before.

I did a lot of walking and checked out the surf for fishing.

21-The slanted rock pile made it impossible to fish from. Hard to set my stuff and if I fished from the flat part, it would surely snag on
the slanted rocks below it.

Important part of my trip was to visit my old stomping grounds.

22-It is said ?you can never go home again?. A three-level apartment that I used
to live in has been demolished and this monstrosity has been built in its place.

Land is very valuable in Istanbul proper.

23-The third place where I lived before coming to America is now a men's hair salon.

24-This tea garden is still there, where me and classmates used to study for exams. I would help them with physics and mat, they
would help me with Turkish language and literature.

25-Guess who is famous over there too?

26-I made friends with this brigade while they were fighting a restaurant kitchen fire on the famous Galata bridge. I was fishing there.

27-My daughter is married to a fire fighting family, so later I visited the fire station the firefighters.
They offered me tea and Turkish coffee.

28-They invited me to be in the picture and I did, but I did not get a chance to give someone else my camera.

29-My technical high school which is scheduled for demolition and rebuilding.

30- I met the new principal and he was amazed that a 1970 graduate would come back to visit his school. We had tea and he had his
staff come and have tea with me. We talked about the past.

31-I had told him that I worked at a Toyota dealership at one time, so he had the instructor for the Toyota sponsored
shop to give me tour.

The students took a short pause while I saw the shop.

32-More fish market picture.

33-These lug worm looking worms were taken from the rocks by local angler.

34-I was at an entrance of a river from the sea looking for Mullets. Saw some, and used the Cypress rig and bread, but no takers.

35-Saw a lonely kayaker come in to the river, then go out.

36-The bread rigged with cypress rig. Lots of baby mullets at a different time and location.

37-I caught a small one using it.

38-The most famous, or popular food in Middle East? Doner in Turkish, which means--it turns. Shawarma in Arabic and Hebrew
and Gyros (pronounced you ros) in Greek languages. I recently discovered the Spanish version of it.
It is made with pork meat. Called Taco El Pastor. Spicy and delicious.
Other countries use ground meat, sliced meat or chicken. No pork due to religious prohibition.

39-Inside of the Sultan's Harem.

40-Ceiling of the same.

41-Lots of nice beaches for public to use.

This trip was a mixture of many happy days as well as some awful ones. The lack of respect for traffic laws and the way Istanbul was
built makes visiting there very stressful.
At my age, traveling with several stops make it even harder.
More than likely it was my last try. We'll see.

THE END

Last edited by Mahigeer; 10-25-2023 at 03:45 PM.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 04:23 PM   #2
f'nsabiki

Thanks for the post. A number of people i've met traveling, have said that Istanbul is the most beautiful city they had ever visited. Glad this was not a Stoked on Fishing trip.
f'nsabiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 05:42 PM   #3
Mahigeer

It certainly is a beautiful city of old and new.

If desired, I can post more pictures.

The problem is that the streets cannot be changed, and law enforcement for traffic is almost non-existent.

Thus, living there is hard. Inflation is also horrendous.

They keep every fish, since there are no regulations for the recreational angler.

No poachers either, since angler can keep anything, they catch.

Last edited by Mahigeer; 10-19-2023 at 07:19 AM.
Old 10-18-2023, 06:03 PM   #4
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Very

Professional.
Old 10-19-2023, 07:32 AM   #5
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Awesome adventure, thanks for sharing!

I always wondered where these came from.

katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 12:31 PM   #6
Mahigeer

Thanks everyone.
Old 10-20-2023, 03:36 AM   #7
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Yep Surf perch love those little worms.....ect

Quote:
Originally Posted by katchfish View Post
Awesome adventure, thanks for sharing!

I always wondered where these came from.

I have caught all I wanted, with those little worms 🪱
And not bad eating either just not much there.
Bring home a dozen and you got a meal
Old 10-20-2023, 12:41 PM   #8
JohnMckroidJr

I have been in and out of Black sea by ship, and have always wanted to stop in Turkey. Your report gave us a little taste. Nice Memories Hashim, Thanks for sharing them.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 02:30 PM   #9
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
I have been in and out of Black sea by ship, and have always wanted to stop in Turkey. Your report gave us a little taste. Nice Memories Hashim, Thanks for sharing them.
If you go, make sure not to rent a car. Have locals drive you around.

US Dollars buys a lot there. I have to get back to accepting prices here.

The least I paid for a cup of tea in the popular Turkish style cup was 5 TL (Turkish Lira).. Turkish coffee, 20-25 TL.

One Dollar was 27 TL, today almost 28 TL.

Hashem
Old 10-22-2023, 07:31 PM   #10
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
If you go, make sure not to rent a car. Have locals drive you around.

US Dollars buys a lot there. I have to get back to accepting prices here.

The least I paid for a cup of tea in the popular Turkish style cup was 5 TL (Turkish Lira).. Turkish coffee, 20-25 TL.

One Dollar was 27 TL, today almost 28 TL.

Hashem
Good advice Hashem. Thankfully never had an incident in my experience of driving in 17 foreign countries other than corrupt police shake-downs in Mexico. LOL, I bet there are a few on here with stories about that. I like to park the car on the outer edge of the city, ideally near the final stop of a bus or metro line. For time in a foreign city almost always best to use local transportation -- too many crazy drivers. I think the worst experience ever was being trapped in rush hour traffic in Santo Domingo when I brought a car back to the rental place. Watched a truck hit and run multiple parked cars that day.

I imagine it must be crazy insane driving narrow streets in Turkish cities plus nowhere to park and always a concern for the car getting vandalized. Did you hire a local driver, or use Uber? Are local taxis reasonable and safe?
In Colombia, Uber is safer than taxis thanks to Scopolamine scams. Are there any scams to watch out for in Turkey? Did you see any kayak fishing rentals?

Last edited by JohnMckroidJr; 10-24-2023 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-23-2023, 08:37 AM   #11
Mahigeer

I imagine it must be crazy insane driving narrow streets in Turkish cities plus nowhere to park and always a concern for the car getting vandalized.

1-There are similar posts like these all over the city. To keep drivers from parking on the sidewalks.

I did not see or hear any news about vandalism. The biggest issue there is where to park with so many cars, and not get into accident.
Traffic laws are not enforced. Everyone is an expert driver to avoid accidents.
Everyone breaks the laws, but they don't get mad at each other often.
The population of Istanbul is listed as 16M, but everyone thinks it is more like 20-21M. Not including the tourists!

Did you hire a local driver, or use Uber?
No.

Are local taxis reasonable and safe?
Yes, to both. Especially when exchanging US Dollars. I got overcharged the first day going from airport to my relatives Apt.
After that no. Perhaps my speaking Turkish helped.

Are there any scams to watch out for in Turkey?
Yes, there are. YouTube has a lot of videos about that.

Did you see any kayak fishing rentals?
Did not look for one, but I am sure there are.

2-I saw one lone kayaker while fishing at the entrance of a river. Most likely it was private, but can't say.

Hashem

Last edited by Mahigeer; 10-24-2023 at 07:53 AM.
Old 10-24-2023, 01:10 PM   #12
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post

I imagine it must be crazy insane driving narrow streets in Turkish cities plus nowhere to park and always a concern for the car getting vandalized.

1-There are similar posts like these all over the city. To keep drivers from parking on the sidewalks.

I did not see or hear any news about vandalism. The biggest issue there is where to park with so many cars, and not get into accident.
Traffic laws are not enforced. Everyone is an expert driver to avoid accidents.
Everyone breaks the laws, but they don't get mad at each other often.
The population of Istanbul is listed as 16M, but everyone thinks it is more like 20-21M. Not including the tourists!

Did you hire a local driver, or use Uber?
No.

Are local taxis reasonable and safe?
Yes, to both. Especially when exchanging US Dollars. I got overcharged the first day going from airport to my relatives Apt.
After that no. Perhaps my speaking Turkish helped.

Are there any scams to watch out for in Turkey?
Yes, there are. YouTube has a lot of videos about that.

Did you see any kayak fishing rentals?
Did not look for one, but I am sure there are.

2-I saw one lone kayaker while fishing at the entrance of a river. Most likely it was private, but can't say.

Hashem

Thank Hashem, for the thorough reply. I will check out YouTube to learn about precautions.