Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2015, 04:39 PM   #1
FleshandBlood

Hammerhead Bites Kayaker off Malibu

It's official no more dangling feet in the water

http://abc7.com/news/shark-bites-kay...-beach/971545/
FleshandBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 04:45 PM   #2
HobieScot

I hope it wasn't one of us

And prepare for the entire southern California coast to be shut down now!

I hope the injury wasn't too severe. It doesn't sound like it as they were able to stop the bleeding. Not that any shark bite isn't serious!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by HobieScot; 09-05-2015 at 04:53 PM.
HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 04:50 PM   #3
FleshandBlood

If it was who I think it was I don't think he posts on here, but from what I have seen on Instagram he seems like a solid dude. Hope he heals up quickly.
FleshandBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:20 PM   #4
maquinapescado

Up until this summer, I have always fished off a long board (don't own a kayak) with a crate on the front holding my gear and rods. I stopped after seeing and hearing of way too much shark activity as of late. Thus I joined this group to learn the go to kayak to purchase and keep an eye on reports.

Needless to say, I won't be fishing off my longboard anytime in the near future and will be posting "kayak" reports not longboard reports.
maquinapescado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:46 PM   #5
Aznronin

County has always been the most sharks spot in Malibu. Big great whites and lately aggressive hammerheads.
Aznronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:57 PM   #6
2-Stix

3 of the last 4 days i have been out hh were around, 2-3' from my boat. bumping some of us after we pulled bonito and were bleeding them out. keep your fish on board. as well as your body parts and its no big deal.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:45 PM   #7
onthewater

Supposedly the guy had his feet hanging over. There is a pic of his foot on instagram. Hope he will be ok!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
onthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:36 PM   #8
momo fish

Sucks to hear... Surprised anyone would dangle anything outside the kayak these days..

momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:12 AM   #9
Croaker Dave

In an interview his friend said that they saw the shark fin, then 5 minutes later his friend was dangling his feet in the water when he got bit.
Croaker Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:33 AM   #10
ctfphoto

ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:40 AM   #11
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croaker Dave View Post
In an interview his friend said that they saw the shark fin, then 5 minutes later his friend was dangling his feet in the water when he got bit.

Other than being stupid there was no reason for him to hang his feet over the kayak after they saw the shark.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:54 AM   #12
octico

SMH

Guy is an idiot for hanging his feet off the yak, WTF was he thinking! I saw two HH yesterday in Dana, and one took my flylined mack, cut threw 50lb flouro with ease.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:54 AM   #13
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

I recently bought a roll of radiator hose repair tape from a gas station convenience store. It's remarkably strong and it sticks when wet. I have added it to my kayak safety equipment checklist.

I think Gorilla tape from Home Depot also sticks when wet. Kayaking with Jen Kleck recently, she told me that black plastic electricians tape sticks to itself when wet. I have not tested Gorilla tape or electricians tape myself.

This might be useful for wrapping wounds, holding gashes together to stop bleeding, making a splint or tourniquet, or for patching other things back together in the event of accidents.

A sun scarf, sarong, etc., could be multi-purpose for fishing and handy as cloth wrap bandages. I always have a sharp knife handy.

I also replaced the leather chin string of my fishing hat with two 6' brown nylon boot laces. These two strong, thin, nylon cords might come in handy sometime.

Think forward, before the need arises.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 09-06-2015 at 09:18 AM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:02 AM   #14
ctfphoto

I never hang my feet over the kayak while fishing, I know a lot of guys who do.

Seems like a bad idea especially if I have bled a fish or even deal with live bait as the scent is strong.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:51 AM   #15
Aznronin

You guys talking smack about the guy because his feet were in the water are jerks. Were you there? If not don't be so quick to judge. It's ine thing for someone to say something. The only thing we know for sure is that it was an unfortunate event. Don't be so quick to judge. He paid the price not you. Everyone is an expert on kayak safety on the Internet and seem to love pointing fingers at the victim. Smh
Old 09-06-2015, 09:52 AM   #16
Aznronin

If anything you should blame guys like George clout who actually have been seen feeding yellow tails to hammerheads just it watch them feed up close.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:08 AM   #17
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Exactly how much more of the story do we have to hear before we make our judgement? I'm sorry, stupidity should be painful.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:37 AM   #18
fishingfiend

Thought we learned not to hang our feet in the water after the Hawaii incident?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1535902

Quote:
Patrick Briney, 57, was dangling his foot off the side of his kayak while out with a friend between southern Maui and Molokini, a small island popular for diving and snorkeling — when the shark suddenly chomped his leg Monday.
fishingfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:55 AM   #19
HobieScot

Dangling my feet in the water is not something I ever do. If I do have to put a hand or foot in the water it's because I'm doing something that requires it. But it is for the shortest amount of time possible. But with the HH around it's not something I have even considered doing this year.

Do I believe he "deserved what he got"? hell No! Not in the least. Do I think it was a bad decision to have his foot in the water for any reason or for any amount of time? Absolutely! Especially after seeing a HH just 5 minutes earlier. That was not a wise choice. Even if the shark was out of sight for five minutes does not mean that it had left the area. Or that another one was not near by. Which is obvious by what happened.

It was simply a bad decision on his part which is obvious now.

HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:15 AM   #20
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aznronin View Post
You guys talking smack about the guy because his feet were in the water are jerks. Were you there? If not don't be so quick to judge. It's ine thing for someone to say something. The only thing we know for sure is that it was an unfortunate event. Don't be so quick to judge. He paid the price not you. Everyone is an expert on kayak safety on the Internet and seem to love pointing fingers at the victim. Smh

There is a huge difference between talking smack and saying that what he did was stupid.

I would consider an unfortunate event to be something that happened based on circumstances that are 'beyond ones control'. walking your dog and a tree limb breaks and falls on you or your dog, that's an unfortunate event.

Who's judging him? We're replying based on facts and nothing else.

SMH??? Why would our comments make you shake your head?

Sometimes you should let common sense prevail.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote