Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2011, 05:42 AM   #1
Jimmyz123

The Power of the Browser

The reason I am posting this is I have read a few threads that last few weeks where a question is asked, and then an answer of, "Use the Search function to find your answer." Get's entered. This is my attempt at helping some of the newbs find their way.

Many of us are new to the sport of Kayak fishing, many have been fishing for many years, but applying fishing and kayaking together is a nice challenge. I have read a lot of posts over that last year and many of them are asking, How, where, or what to do with your kayaks.

I love helping to provide information, links, and opinions, but I also thought I would offer up one key tool that may help you find what you need without having to ask anyone else or posting a topic that maybe was just posted a month ago.

Use your search function on this site, Google, Youtube, and whatever else you may think of. If you think it, type it into Google and I'm sure you'll find your answer. It will save you time, and it will help keep you from getting the search it yourself reply.

I hope this has helped and not ticked off anyone.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:07 AM   #2
Regor
Greg

I completely agree, and can even find BWE posts via Google search

If you look at some of the posts asking for basic generic help, you may see 8-10 replies to that thread. Meanwhile, using the same criteria and searching for help ends up giving you 100 threads with a possible 8-10 replies each = 800 posts

I do have one suggestion for BWE admins - Please, please, please decrease the amount of characters required in a "Search". To limit the number of characters to greater than 3 is inhibiting the search capabilities of the users. Examples of how this is affecting us:

~ "WSB Recipe" - ends up searching only for "Recipe" and leaves out the WSB portion
~ "FF" - will not search due to too few characters, but yet many thread use "FF" in the title.
~ "Fishfinder GPS" - will only search for "Fishfinder" and leave out the GPS portion due to too few characters in "GPS"
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:17 AM   #3
jorluivil

I couldn't agree with you more but in the greenhorns defense sometimes its much easier to post a simple "HOW DO I" thread then it is to do a search and pull a thread that looks more like a novel.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:05 AM   #5
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:09 AM   #6
bigbarrels

bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:53 AM   #7
lambadmin
Spam Sanitation Dept

C'mon guys, play nice.

Sure thing - when looking for info, search is your friend - on the forum or on the web. But there's nothing wrong with asking questions. It does seem like even when the same question gets raised, there often seems to be some new input, something to consider and think about. Just like anything else, fishing is evolving - who's to say there is only one way of doing something fishing related right? We've seen many examples in the last few years - if 8 years ago someone told me that we'd be fishing sea bass the way we have been last few years, I'd be laughing.

Heads up - I've been noticing weird things and inconsistencies with the forum search function. We will be doing some maintenance work over the weekend, stay tuned.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:58 AM   #8
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambadmin View Post
Heads up - I've been noticing weird things and inconsistencies with the forum search function. We will be doing some maintenance work over the weekend, stay tuned.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

Old 02-25-2011, 10:01 AM   #9
jhook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
I completely agree, and can even find BWE posts via Google search

If you look at some of the posts asking for basic generic help, you may see 8-10 replies to that thread. Meanwhile, using the same criteria and searching for help ends up giving you 100 threads with a possible 8-10 replies each = 800 posts

I do have one suggestion for BWE admins - Please, please, please decrease the amount of characters required in a "Search". To limit the number of characters to greater than 3 is inhibiting the search capabilities of the users. Examples of how this is affecting us:

~ "WSB Recipe" - ends up searching only for "Recipe" and leaves out the WSB portion
~ "FF" - will not search due to too few characters, but yet many thread use "FF" in the title.
~ "Fishfinder GPS" - will only search for "Fishfinder" and leave out the GPS portion due to too few characters in "GPS"
The forum search function is pretty bad. For some reason the search results are sorted by date rather than relevance. I recommend just using google to search the forum. You can do this by adding site:www.bigwatersedge.com after your search terms in google. For example:

WSB Recipe site:www.bigwatersedge.com
jhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:13 AM   #10
Jimmyz123

I've just been reading a lot of posts lately where some, including myself, have posted questions and one of the answers is, "Go use the search." Or something like that and so rather than anoying some of the vets that are on the board I thought I would help other newbs and let them know what I do before I post a question. Only trying to help others, never meant to come off sounding as if I'm not playing nice with others.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:35 AM   #11
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
I've just been reading a lot of posts lately where some, including myself, have posted questions and one of the answers is, "Go use the search." Or something like that and so rather than anoying some of the vets that are on the board I thought I would help other newbs and let them know what I do before I post a question. Only trying to help others, never meant to come off sounding as if I'm not playing nice with others.

No worries here. You just set up the ultimate ally-oop pass.

No one on here knows it all. Even the vets learn new things each time they get out OTW. Since fish reports are few and far inbetween lately due to weather etc, all questions are good.

Like I used to tell my students when I was a teacher- "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people".

Yakfishing is constantly evolving. The same answers that worked 2 yrs ago, may not be the best answer today. On the other hand, there is some tried and true stuff in the archives here that will likely never change. You can make the sport as simple as paddleing out with 1 rod, and a seat on a bare kayak, or you can get as technical as you want with sideimaging and carbon fiber state of the art stuff.
It doesn't matter how/what/when/where/why you do it, as long as you come in covered in fish slime everyonce in a while its all good.

I have learned this since I started. You catch fish by spending time on the water, not by spending time on the internet

steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:42 AM   #12
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveooo View Post

I have learned this since I started. You catch fish by spending time on the water, not by spending time on the internet

Amen to that. I would much rather be on the water right now, but work does not allow that during work hours. I hope the weather allows for some of us to get out on the water this weekend, but we'll see.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:48 AM   #13
Regor
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhook View Post
I recommend just using google to search the forum. You can do this by adding site:www.bigwatersedge.com after your search terms in google. For example:

WOW !!

GREAT Results !
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:16 PM   #14
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhook View Post
The forum search function is pretty bad. For some reason the search results are sorted by date rather than relevance. I recommend just using google to search the forum. You can do this by adding site:www.bigwatersedge.com after your search terms in google. For example:

There is something new to be learned every day. I have an Internet company and did not know this trick. Thanks for the tip.

Lamb, maybe you could include some sort of script in your search link that adds "site:www.bigwatersedge.com to all the search requests. The Google results could be displayed in a new window. Just a thought.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:52 PM   #15
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
The reason I am posting this is I have read a few threads that last few weeks where a question is asked, and then an answer of, "Use the Search function to find your answer."
It's kind of funny but basically you can figure that any question you could ask has been asked before, asked over and over by almost every new guy that's posted online for years now, and then realize that it's been answered 100s and 100s of times.

This is also not the only website like this around, and some of us have been posting this stuff for over a decade now.

We've answered those same questions over and over again on various sites like Allcoast Bloodydecks etc...

After a while you're like why do I even bother. For a while I moderated the largest technical how to fishing boating board on the web. Then I got tired of the same questions and inevitable arguments, quit moderating, and used to just searched out and repost my old posts any time anyone asked anything important. Eventually I got tired of that, as it took a lot of time and now most of those old posts have largely been lost from their various archives over time.

Naturally the new guys have no idea that those questions were ever asked, or that anyone including myself ever answered them, or that those answers ever existed at all, and now they couldn't find them if they had to.

I mean personally I like to help people, and post what I can but as I told a buddy the other day, with some things it's a bottomless pit. Half the time people don't get it or don't listen, and then you always have those jerk offs that get bent out of shape because you don't answer the question like they want you to, or fit their misconception of the status quo..

The thing that get's me are guys who want to pretend or truly believe that they have suddenly invented something new that actually has been around for decades.

Recently I saw a "New" Halibut rig that I have been using since the early 90s, and actually posted online back in something like 1998. Also this month I also saw a post where a guy was trap rigging plastics in a way that I first posted about online in maybe 2000. To be fair to these new "experts" the ideas are probably new, but that doesn't mean the concepts are new or that they have not been posted online before.

It's like spectra and small lever drags. When I first started fishing with Izor Spectra, on a TLD5 with a short fluoro topshot for tuna...

...and posted about it people thought I was insane. Back thn it only came in white and I used to dye it blue with spraypaint and acetone...LOL

Now a decade later with reels like Avet SXs and Saltists small lever drags spectra and topshots is considered a standard way to fish, but 90% of those that fish that way have no idea it's not a new thing or that others posted about how to do it ten years ago. They just know what they have read or seen recently.

So when I see a post like: "Will a lever drag Avet SX work with fifty pound spectra, and a thirty topshot of fluorocarbon?" I have to grin and rather then say: "Go back and look at this post from 2001", or discuss the technical merits as I have done countless times in the past as the idea was, argued, fought over, heatedly debated, and then eventually gained ground in popularity...., I just simply say: "Yeah it will work just fine.."

Such is the nature of the web.

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 02-25-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:43 PM   #16
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

just google Olivenhain Bob*Jim day* Jim Sammons, we don't need no stinkin search feature...