Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2014, 09:44 AM   #1
rogersmith

Corvia in SD Bay

I have been seeing some reports, mostly on Facebook, of corvina catches on swimbaits and such in SD bay. Anyone have any recent stories to tell or advice to share? I think will throw the small BBZ1 around Tidelands this weekend while I look for the usual spotties and halibut
rogersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:56 AM   #2
dmrides

I have never targeted them, but I hear they get them in the back bay around eel grass and rocks. I have even heard of guys cumming them up with 'chovies and then sight fishing them with a fly rod and streamers.

But since you asked for stories; a few weeks back I went to the west end of shelter island by the police dock to get some practice tossing the iron. 3rd cast wih the 7X I had a solid 24" corvina slam the iron about 15' off the rocks.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:44 AM   #3
blitzburgh

I have had pretty good success trolling & throwing x-Raps, DT's and LC's of various sizes for Corvina in the bay. Almost all of my consistent bites have came in the early a.m..
Old 06-12-2014, 11:11 AM   #4
rogersmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmrides View Post
But since you asked for stories; a few weeks back I went to the west end of shelter island by the police dock to get some practice tossing the iron. 3rd cast wih the 7X I had a solid 24" corvina slam the iron about 15' off the rocks.
That's awesome! I love those surprise catches
rogersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:09 PM   #5
ccacher1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersmith View Post
I have been seeing some reports, mostly on Facebook, of corvina catches on swimbaits and such in SD bay. Anyone have any recent stories to tell or advice to share? I think will throw the small BBZ1 around Tidelands this weekend while I look for the usual spotties and halibut
I caught one in the surf one time on a lucky craft...pretty sure thats not very common though.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:04 PM   #6
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

All of my corvinas have come off of 3-4" Swimbaits early in the morning about an hour before sunrise. All incidental catches targeting Halibut from the shore.
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote