Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2015, 03:01 PM   #1
Yakman88
Junior

New Yaker Here! Any tips?

Hello All,

I am new to Yaking. Just starting out. Would love to get advice from everyone on where is best for people just starting out. Also bought a yak recently. Not too expensive, got it for a good deal. It's a Lifetime Sport Fisher Tandem Kayak. Is it okay to take out in the ocean? Hopefully some of you have some tips and tricks for me. Hope to hear from you all.

Thanks, Brandon
Yakman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 03:52 PM   #2
DanaPT

brandon...

a great website and resource to cut our learning curve. use the search feature. anything from rod set-ups to halibut rigs.

Buy busy bee sandwiches, beer or ? and post an invite to fish with you. You'll make a friend or two.

Think safety. . .I'd worry more about being comfortable in my kayak (being sure I won't flip and loose my crap) than a hammerhead shark.

More Have Died From Selfies Than Shark Attacks Since 2013

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-0...rk-deaths-2013

good luck and share a report.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 03:57 PM   #3
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Welcome to the board. A ton of good people on here and a TON of information. If you have a question just ask. One of these guys knows the correct answer
Old 09-23-2015, 04:20 PM   #4
jorluivil

Its hard to answer your questions without knowing where you'll be fishing and what type of fishing you'll be doing.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:57 PM   #5
2-Stix

wear a pfd, and have everything you dont want to loose tied to the boat.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:07 PM   #6
Yakman88
Junior

Danapt- Thanks for the website and the info. I read many reviews about the kayak I bought saying it was very stable but I was more curious on if theres a specific type of kayak you need to take into the ocean. I believe mine is flat on bottom.

Jorluivil- I want to do several types of fishing. I wanna go a few miles out at most probably maybe 3-5 at most. I wanna fish for tuna, dorado, rockfish, seabass, stuff like that. Was thinking different areas like lo jolla and san diego areas. Maybe even orange county. Any advice? Also my kayak is flat bottomed. Will it be ok to tske out? I read online that it is very stable.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:44 PM   #7
Harry Hill

I'm new also, and have been yaking on freshwater but I haven't been on the salt yet. I'm trying to get my schedule worked out so I can make a La Jolla trip, it just looks like a good place to start. I've also been told Redondo harbor is good for bonita without having to get past the surf so I will make that trip. This is a great group of guys, every time I have asked a question a few people will respond with all kinds of helpful information. I know that when I finally get to salt water there will be someone there who will help me get started. That makes me a lot more comfortable.
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:55 PM   #8
Yakman88
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
I'm new also, and have been yaking on freshwater but I haven't been on the salt yet. I'm trying to get my schedule worked out so I can make a La Jolla trip, it just looks like a good place to start. I've also been told Redondo harbor is good for bonita without having to get past the surf so I will make that trip. This is a great group of guys, every time I have asked a question a few people will respond with all kinds of helpful information. I know that when I finally get to salt water there will be someone there who will help me get started. That makes me a lot more comfortable.
Yeah so far everyone is being very helpful. I'm glad I stumbled across this site. I'm enjoying learning and all the useful tips everyone is giving me.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Old 09-23-2015, 09:56 PM   #9
Dave Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakman88 View Post
Danapt- Thanks for the website and the info. I read many reviews about the kayak I bought saying it was very stable but I was more curious on if theres a specific type of kayak you need to take into the ocean. I believe mine is flat on bottom.

Jorluivil- I want to do several types of fishing. I wanna go a few miles out at most probably maybe 3-5 at most. I wanna fish for tuna, dorado, rockfish, seabass, stuff like that. Was thinking different areas like lo jolla and san diego areas. Maybe even orange county. Any advice? Also my kayak is flat bottomed. Will it be ok to tske out? I read online that it is very stable.
Tuna & dorado aren't the norm; I do believe this is just an exceptional year.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:23 PM   #10
King Saba

Quote:
Redondo is good for the bigger bones during the winter, not sure about right now.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:07 AM   #11
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Saba View Post
Redondo is good for the bigger bones during the winter, not sure about right now.
See what I mean, saved me from wasting a trip, La Jolla it is then.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:12 AM   #12
RussH
Junior

I've seen another kayaker on that boat out at la jolla. Not sure if it's perfect for long excursions but it can work. I used to have one but never took it in the ocean. (Didn't live here when I had it) it is super stable but not a super fast paddle.
RussH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:14 AM   #13
Yakman88
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussH View Post
I've seen another kayaker on that boat out at la jolla. Not sure if it's perfect for long excursions but it can work. I used to have one but never took it in the ocean. (Didn't live here when I had it) it is super stable but not a super fast paddle.
Thanks I appreciate the info. Once I gain a little experience Ill probably try La Jolla as I hear its one of the better places to go if you're new to yaking.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-2015, 06:17 AM   #14
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussH View Post
I have the Bass Pro Ascend FS12T sit on top, I understand it isn't the best for ocean either but it's what I have for right now. It has been fine for lake fishing but it doesn't seem to be a very fast hull design. I talked with a guy who saw one with a trolling motor on that worked pretty good but kind of defeats the purpose of having a kayak. It stable though because of it's tunnel hull design.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:36 AM   #15
Yakman88
Junior

Quote:
I have the Bass Pro Ascend FS12T sit on top, I understand it isn't the best for ocean either but it's what I have for right now. It has been fine for lake fishing but it doesn't seem to be a very fast hull design. I talked with a guy who saw one with a trolling motor on that worked pretty good but kind of defeats the purpose of having a kayak. It stable though because of it's tunnel hull design.
Do you plan on trying to take it out in the ocean? I'm thinking I'll start in the harbors and work my way out into the open ocean. Probably won't go too far out though maybe a couple miles at most.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:39 AM   #16
Phishphood

I don't have a ton of experience down here but I'd say any yak that works will be OK to take out. It becomes more a matter of how comfortable you are on the water and your skill as a paddler. If anything I'd say take the yak out once or twice without any fishing gear to get used to everything, especially launches/landings.

Also, like was said before, wear your pfd
Phishphood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:43 AM   #17
octico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakman88 View Post

Whoa there, 3-5 miles is quite a ways out. I would recommend going out of the local bays and get a feel of the limitations of you and your kayak. Once you have feel good with your yak go out of Dana Point or Newport and head out to open water.

As mentioned earlier catching Tuna and Dodo off a yak is not the norm.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:51 AM   #18
Yakman88
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishphood View Post
I don't have a ton of experience down here but I'd say any yak that works will be OK to take out. It becomes more a matter of how comfortable you are on the water and your skill as a paddler. If anything I'd say take the yak out once or twice without any fishing gear to get used to everything, especially launches/landings.

Also, like was said before, wear your pfd
Yeah, I think I just need to get comfortable on it and take it out a few times before I head out into open water. I always plan on wearing my pfd. Are launches and landings hard at first?
Old 09-24-2015, 06:53 AM   #19
Yakman88
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by octico View Post
Whoa there, 3-5 miles is quite a ways out. I would recommend going out of the local bays and get a feel of the limitations of you and your kayak. Once you have feel good with your yak go out of Dana Point or Newport and head out to open water.

As mentioned earlier catching Tuna and Dodo off a yak is not the norm.
Okay maybe not quite that far out. But I would like to get a little ways out maybe a couple miles. I really wanna fish the kelp beds off La Jolla. I hear theres some good fishing there. How far out do you have to go to catch Tuna and dorado right now? Also I'm looking for a fish finder for my yak. Something not too expensive but will work well. Any suggestions?
Old 09-24-2015, 07:42 AM   #20
Murray

Take your yak to where you are going to be fishing and practice launching, landing, and getting back on after jumping off. La Jolla shores is probably the easiest place to fish regarding size of surf, etc. Also is probably the best fishing location in socal. Fishing La Jolla is pretty close to shore as you can fish just outside the kelp bed or go out a bit further to get into some deeper water. Make sure to buddy up with someone who can assist in case you have an issue. Other than that, have fun.
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote