Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2008, 09:39 PM   #1
Spyder

4/6 SD Bay / Big Grumps & other feesh

Met up with with Sherm & Troy at 0600 at SI. Was real windy until about 0645. Almost decided to head further into the bay but said screw it.

Launched into in remaining wind and incoming tide and paddled over to our first spot. My first sandie went 16". Troy got to see me hook into my second one that actually turned me and my yak into to wind and tide. This one measured right at 19", a real fighter on the light gear.

Due to the wind & tide we were only getting about 1 feesh each per drift before having to paddle back and start over. Good upper body work out if anything.

Troy had to split but Scott & I stayed in that spot for about another hour. The bite died off so we decided to head over to the "old" sandie spot. Sure enough they were there and waiting. Pulled in a few more ornrey grumps including a double for me. Sherm got a nice size rattler as well.

Started the drift back to the launch for a couple more sandies. I think Scott got a couple checkers, spotties and a pop tart flattie.

Hit the sand at about 10:30. Total for me was about 15 sand bass, my largest being 19". Most were caught using jerk baits with both a lead head and also dropper loop.

Was great hanging out this morning with a couple good friends on the water.

Peace,

Spyder
Attached Thumbnails
Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:44 PM   #2
Sherm

Glad I was able to kill another stoagie while on the water with you Jim. Good bassin that morning.
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:45 PM   #3
mars

Nice turd rollers for the bay. Gotta luv when the conditions don't cooperate but the fish do.

Might want to try a small anchor to slow your drift in those types of conditions. I have small "claw" type anchor (I think it's around 5lbs or so...super cheap..). I rarely use it but generally bring it with me if I'm fishing the bay (don't even waste your time taking out on the big water). It's nice to have on those days when you have a hot bite but the current/tide/wind make it tough to stay in the zone.

Anyway, nice report...
Old 04-09-2008, 05:05 PM   #4
h2ofishfo

drift sock will work better for those conditions
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:16 PM   #5
jimbo

drift sock

A small point of clarification...A drift sock will slow you down if you're being moved by wind, but will have no effect (or may even speed you up) if used for current or tidal flow.