Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
TATER
GET SOME !!!

FISH DOPE... advice needed please

Does anyone use this and or recommend it? I'm contemplating getting it but i want to make sure it's worth the money. Thank you for your help.
TATER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
lamb

FishDope.com is ran by the Bloody Decks core group. They're all great guys - good peoples, livin' and breathin' fishing. I've been a FD member since they started it.

FishDope.com is nicely run website. They compile the daily So Cal fishing info they have on hand; they sum it up in daily updates for their members. It saves you time, as you don't have to go all over these different web sites to get the present information. They often put out a lot of good info on best fishing technique to use to target specific species. They post numbers/coordinates of popular local inshore and offshore fishing spots. They keep an eye out on the weather and provide updates. The site has a pretty cool Chart with integrated specific bite locations (coordinates!), sea surface temps, and chlorophyll concentration. Very cool chart, but while the info is relevant for inshore game, it's not as important as it is for off-shore. One of the best features of the site I think is the Trip Planning - based on the dope from previous days, you "dot-out" your trip, print out 2 copies - one for yourself to have at the helm, and leave the other one to a family member, just in case so they know where you headed out. Again - this is more of a summer off-shore tuna boater handy tool.

The site has an internal private forum as well where you can ask direct questions.

FD gets their direct dope through a number of local sport-fishing charter boat skippers, folks affiliated with the site, as well as FD members. They're listening in on the VHF traffic, they occasionally use that info as well.

Don't expect to see FD blowing the whistle on every single hot bite that blows up inshore. They won't necessarily know. They eventually do catch the wind of stuff happening if the bite goes on for an extended time.

In my opinion, yearly subscription for FD is definitely money well spent. But my primary use is for the summer off-shore dope.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
TATER
GET SOME !!!

Cool thank you for the info. From what I see it looks very informative and helpful. I just want to make sure everyone who may have it is happy with it because it isn't cheap.
TATER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
dorado50

I've been using Terrafin for at least 15 years . It works everywhere around world, well almost. I like fish dope for SD area..
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:17 PM   #5
wade

I hear there is some kind of an exclusive text based yak-crack early alert inshore system already in place?..
Local capts, deck hands & those in the general know receive up to the minute notification updates ranging from Ensenada all the way up to Long Beach.. 24/7-365 & free.
1-800-BWE-CREW

wade is offline   Reply With Quote