Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-24-2015, 09:34 AM   #1
Dirty Curti

Carlsbad 08/23

What a nice day it turned out to be. Perfect calm water 75+ degrees and lots of bait. The trick was to find the right bait.

I loaded up on some spanish macs pretty quickly. at the same time the calicos were working the bait all around us and it was hard deciding to throw the lure for them or catch bait. did both but the end goal was constantly on my mind.

Headed west to the location I was looking for with no love for the spanish candy bars. So headed back in to find the greenies but that proved to be a challenge. Good thing my new friend Brian (Surfisher) came to the rescue. He was loaded up and had some extras for me. Took 2 from him and headed out again.

maybe 10 minutes to the spot and I'm hooked up.

Landed the fish I needed for a family get together later in the day.

Pinned on the second greenie and repositioned jsut in case there might be another one. Saw Surfisher ahead and headed over to chat. All of a sudden he says to me...You are getting bit...I didn't hear anything so I look back at my rod and it's bent and then finally starts to scream, delayed reaction. I guess I had the button a little tight after the first catch.

Now I have a little fish for the freezer.

[IMG] photo 20150823_104326_zpsz0xqgl66.jpg[/IMG]
Thanks Surfisher for the 2 greenies, and the great on the water pics that I've been hoping to get. It was a pleasure to meet you and hope to see you again out there real soon. I really enjoy this community that BWE provides.

Tight lines to all of you!

Last edited by Dirty Curti; 08-24-2015 at 10:05 AM.
Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:48 AM   #2
Phikayaks
Junior

Thumbs up

Hey man great catch!!! Im new to this forum, and kayaking still trying to get the hang of this community. Was wondering where did u launch from, cause I've tried once and failed miserably to the point that im scarred from launching in carlsbad ha ha. How far out did you go, and how did u make bait? If its okay for me asking. Thanks in advance for helping out the noob. Definitely a nice catch! didn't know they were in carlsbad.
Phikayaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:18 PM   #3
chris138
donkey roper

Thanks! Solid report, and nice sized fish. YT everywhere!
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:22 PM   #4
Dirty Curti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phikayaks View Post
Hey man great catch!!! Im new to this forum, and kayaking still trying to get the hang of this community. Was wondering where did u launch from, cause I've tried once and failed miserably to the point that im scarred from launching in carlsbad ha ha. How far out did you go, and how did u make bait? If its okay for me asking. Thanks in advance for helping out the noob. Definitely a nice catch! didn't know they were in carlsbad.
They are definitely out there. Last month, when I caught the first one there was only 1 maybe 2 kayaks out there. A couple of weeks ago I noticed a few more yakers out there. Yesterday I thought I was in La Jolla but looked at the beach and saw the big concrete power building so I know I was in Carlsbad but there must have been a dozen kayakers out there. The word is out. There are fish in Carlsbad.

I launch from right in front of the building wherever it looks the flatest. If there is surf that day I will not go out. Ankle slappers are okay.

We make bait all along the kelp line using a sibiki. Once we are loaded up then head out anywhere between a 1/4 mile to a couple of miles.

Just pin one on, send it back and hope for the best, that's what I do.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:09 PM   #5
GBCbad

Another productive outing Curtis....nice work. You are starting to make it look too easy.....
GBCbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:35 PM   #6
surfisher

That was a good morning, despite being heavily waked by all the skiffs and getting skunked! See you out there again!
surfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:27 PM   #7
Rav3n805

Nice haul! Very fishy out...
Rav3n805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:56 PM   #8
Socalkayak
Junior

Nice catch. I know global warming is bad. But the fish seem to like it.
Socalkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:17 PM   #9
FISH11

Congrats on the Yellow duo!
Old 08-24-2015, 10:33 PM   #10
Cbad Mike

Nice x2
Congrats!
Old 08-24-2015, 10:58 PM   #11
BigTunaL

Great catch. it was nice meeting you while making bait. I headed your direction afterwards and hooked a 10 foot thresher shark. Man it was the biggest thing I've ever fought. Can't wait to go again next week.
BigTunaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:27 AM   #12
kayakfisherman

That's so cool. Congrats on the yellowtails!!
kayakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:06 AM   #13
Dirty Curti

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTunaL View Post
Great catch. it was nice meeting you while making bait. I headed your direction afterwards and hooked a 10 foot thresher shark. Man it was the biggest thing I've ever fought. Can't wait to go again next week.
Hey BigTunaL, yeah nice to talk with you too. What did you hook that thresher with? Mack, lure, Bonita?

We'll see you out there again soon. hopefully I'll get back out there Sunday.

Old 08-25-2015, 11:36 AM   #14
blitzburgh

Nice!
Old 08-25-2015, 07:32 PM   #15
Phikayaks
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Curti View Post
They are definitely out there. Last month, when I caught the first one there was only 1 maybe 2 kayaks out there. A couple of weeks ago I noticed a few more yakers out there. Yesterday I thought I was in La Jolla but looked at the beach and saw the big concrete power building so I know I was in Carlsbad but there must have been a dozen kayakers out there. The word is out. There are fish in Carlsbad.

I launch from right in front of the building wherever it looks the flatest. If there is surf that day I will not go out. Ankle slappers are okay.

We make bait all along the kelp line using a sibiki. Once we are loaded up then head out anywhere between a 1/4 mile to a couple of miles.

Just pin one on, send it back and hope for the best, that's what I do.
Hey thanks for the tip and help, ill probably try out carlsbad soon!
Phikayaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:55 AM   #16
BigTunaL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Curti View Post
Hey BigTunaL, yeah nice to talk with you too. What did you hook that thresher with? Mack, lure, Bonita?

We'll see you out there again soon. hopefully I'll get back out there Sunday.
I had a fat green mac on. 65 green braid and 25 fluoro leader with a red circle hook (sorry I don't know my hook sizes yet)

Hope to make it Sunday as well. I will launch at 6AM.

Cheers
Old 08-26-2015, 09:23 AM   #17
surfisher

Quote:
I had a fat green mac on. 65 green braid and 25 fluoro leader with a red circle hook (sorry I don't know my hook sizes yet)

Hope to make it Sunday as well. I will launch at 6AM.

Cheers
Hey BigTuna! I came over to talk to you while you were hooked up. Watch the swell Sunday. Supposed to be a really fun combo swell around 3-5ft.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:47 AM   #18
Murray

with the swell building, i am wondering if oceanside harbor is out of the question regarding fishing for yellowtail. considering the golf ball or barn kelp or carlsbad per this thread.
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:18 AM   #19
BigTunaL

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfisher View Post
Hey BigTuna! I came over to talk to you while you were hooked up. Watch the swell Sunday. Supposed to be a really fun combo swell around 3-5ft.
Hello SurfFisher and thank you for helping me out Sunday. Man I was looking forward to go out again, but with this swell it might not be a good idea. Do you think La Jolla would be better?
Old 08-26-2015, 02:03 PM   #20
surfisher

Quote:
Hello SurfFisher and thank you for helping me out Sunday. Man I was looking forward to go out again, but with this swell it might not be a good idea. Do you think La Jolla would be better?
No idea, LJ should be fine. Just checked surfline and were gonna have waves for what looks to be two weeks! Solid 4ft ++ in north county