Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-23-2018, 11:15 AM   #41
DPevin

Awhile ago I bought a couple packs for fishing in the harbor. Hooks bent/broke too easy in my opinion for how expensive they are. And if the fish are biting the hook up bait you can get them to bite a number of other things just as well for half the cost. Nothing magical about it. I won't be buying them again. Fishing is suddenly the cool thing to do it seems. With what seems like an influx of new folks the timing is right and those folks see people getting bit on the baits plastered all over social media and probably have some misconception that the need those baits to get bit. Can't knock the guy for capitalizing on the current situation.

I understand he has been "punished" and fined and all of that has been paid. I am also for second chances and believe people can change and should be given the opportunity to do so.

However, the he poached 3 deer in the park. Involved his kid in the whole thing as well as a couple other guys. Glassed up the rangers to avoid them. Took a warden 6 days to track them down. They covered up the evidence. The whole thing was just so intentional and so far from a mistake.

I personally have no desire to support someone like that changed or not, debt paid or not. I also wouldn't ever dare judge anyone that doesn't mind supporting him and his business and legitimate activities and current support of the industry. His fine was something like $50,000 dollars, not a lot of people have that kind of money just laying around. In some strange way my mind goes to the place of, every dollar earned from the bait company goes toward recouping the cost of that fine. I fully realize that is irrational and probably isn't the case. But I can't help but feel a debt isn't paid if you don't bare the whole burden.
DPevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:18 AM   #42
Mahigeer

I still maintain that the only way to reduce poaching is by public awareness.
Educating the newbies is another important avenue.
There should be Public Service Announcement paid by the poachers.

A father that poaches is one thing.
However; if he teaches his kids that it is ok to ignore the law. That is unforgivable.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:06 PM   #43
jdvarnold

I have used them and have had nothing but success, one (if not THE) best baits I have ever used. He was convicted and served his punishment.
jdvarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:50 PM   #44
goldenglory18

Anyone catch Angler Chronicles this past weekend? Sergio was up in BC and had our boy from Hook Up Baits with him. Sergio typically talks a lot about conservation but was pretty quiet on that front this episode. I wonder if that was intentional....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Andy Cates is a Legend...
...any relation to (the also legendary) Phoebe Cates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdvarnold View Post
I have used them and have had nothing but success, one (if not THE) best baits I have ever used. He was convicted and served his punishment.
They work, that's for sure. But so does a lot of other stuff out there.....
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:23 AM   #45
equyst
Banned

great articel,thanks
equyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:24 AM   #46
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Hookup BAIT SALE

Bought some and they work.

Use Happy3

Get a free 1.4oz jig on every order and free shipping now through 10/27.

I have yet to meet someone in person who can be called blameless and upright all their life.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:57 AM   #47
ProfessorLongArms

Since this thread is being revived, I wanted to share an assumption that I had dispelled recently...

I had assumed the tube style baits were injection molded, as I know that’s how gitzits are made. I also have had very little luck with Gitzits in trying alternatives ( wanted something in the 3 to 4 ounce range that did not cost 20 bucks)

I assumed there was some sort of injection mold they had manufactured specifically for this bait... would explain why they’re so damn expensive.

Nah...

This mom on BD makes them by the dozen and they’re *dead* simple.

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/th....694431/page-4
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:26 AM   #48
goldenglory18

There is a dude on one of the facebook groups that makes Hookup knockoffs...in the bait/lure industry, that isn't a negative connotation at all. How many people make senko or fluke baits now?

Anyway, when I called them a knockoff, he snapped back at me and sent a shit message. I refuse to buy from him now knowing his customer demeanor absolutely sucks.

What was this thread originally about again???
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:52 AM   #49
jlabs63

I agree with most of the previous posts. The guy made some mistakes and has paid for them. I have actually met Chad and his wife several times and they are very nice people.

I fish Hookup Baits all of the time and they crush it. Just about every species; tuna, yellowtail, WSB, bottom fish, etc.

They work when nothing else will.

The fishing industry is a tough business. I have a friend that started a new jig company making these because he was tired of paying $8-$10 for a painted piece of lead with a hook. He has told me that the big boys (i.e. Tady, Sumo, etc.) have done nothing but try to undercut and push him out of the business. As such, I don't fault him for pursuing a patent to protect his business.

I do wish they were more durable.
jlabs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:01 PM   #50
jorluivil

Tony should be a salesman for those baits because he swears by them. He almost convinced Greg to buy a few and Greg never fishes plastics.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:03 PM   #51
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Tony should be a salesman for those baits because he swears by them. He almost convinced Greg to buy a few and Greg never fishes plastics.

plastic too fragile and often the hook tears the tube or tube hooks itself.

would be better if they lasted longer.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:08 PM   #52
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
plastic too fragile and often the hook tears the tube or tube hooks itself.

would be better if they lasted longer.
I wouldn't know, you'll to have to ask Tony..................or Greg

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:04 AM   #53
Master-baiter

Just give them a damn try. They been out a long time for us to keep goin over this.
Yes, they work.
Yes, they break down easy.
Yes, a bit expensive but so is most other baits nowadays ever since fishing is the cool thing to do now....
Yes, he made a mistake, no justifying it but are we all perfect?
Bottom line, they work and you just buying something that gets you bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Master-baiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:41 PM   #54
echo42
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso View Post
I've seen many of you using these baits and having some success. That being said I was looking into trying some and think I've just changed my mind after I found this article about the owner of the company.

Apparently, he's been convicted of poaching in the Yosemeti national parks as well as previous citations.

Note: This thread is just for discussion if you would ethically buy them or if there's additional information you may know. Solely for discussion and is not intended to be a flame thread.

Thoughts?

https://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/news/poachers08.htm

Personally, I prefer not to support someone who has a blatant disregard for conservation of our resources but that might just be my California mentality. At the same time, that was 8 years ago and people can change.
I use them, not exclusively though. They work well. I usually get a few packs at the Fred Hall Show or some other discount opportunity. Much like any plastics, they get beat up pretty easy, especially if a Bonito or Barracuda gets a hold of them. I've caught yellowtail and big bass on them and some random rockfish.

As far as who makes them, I could care less. He's not under indictment, incarcerated, or on a terror watch list. It's not like I'm funding some organization that supports the overthrow of the government or advocates harm to our fellow citizens. He just seems like some guy who may have gone through some knucklehead phase in his life and moved on. I just retired from a career in law enforcement. I also spent 4 years in the military. I've seen much worse than this guy.

I don't see this as supporting someone that has a blatant disregard for conservation. I see this as me buying a tool that works.
echo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:24 PM   #55
bwana

I hate poachers.

I would never befriend or support one.

Cal Tip is saved to my phone.
bwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:37 AM   #56
etolentino13
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
1. That National Park Service article sounds way overmodulated to me, as a blanket PR-hype threat to everyone in general that they are bad-ass and they are going to bust you without mercy and crush you like a bug.

2. It sounds like the people they went after as alleged criminals were convicted as part of a plea bargain on charges much less than all the wild innuendo in the first half of the article.

3. If it was tried, convicted and punished, ... and therefore resolved several years ago, then why rehash this again now as a new blog trial and punishment based on gossip, NPS hype, propaganda and unfounded, non-legal speculation that was not part of the original conviction, sentence and punishment?

It's done. Stick a fork in it.

Put away your tar and feathers.

It's not your job to try to destroy his business now as a self-appointed SJW vigilante and executioner.

Focus your attention on improving your own life, mind your own business and let sleeping dogs lie.
etolentino13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:04 AM   #57
Saba Slayer

Thanks...

X-2...

"It's done. Stick a fork in it.

Put away your tar and feathers.

It's not your job to try to destroy his business now as a self-appointed SJW vigilante and executioner.

Focus your attention on improving your own life, mind your own business and let sleeping dogs lie."

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:28 AM   #58
monkeyfishturds

On May 25th, 2010, Narasky pled guilty to hunting in Yosemite National Park and possession of a weapon in the park. He was sentenced to a $7,500 fine, 24 months of unsupervised probation and forfeiture of all of his hunting equipment seized in the field. Additionally, Narasky agreed to stay outside of Yosemite National Park's boundaries for the duration of his probation.

On May 25th, 2010, Chris Gierlich pled guilty to 14 of 17 counts in Federal Court. These counts included three counts of hunting within Yosemite National Park, three counts of violating the Lacey Act and three counts of possession of a weapon within Yosemite National Park.

On May 25th, 2010, Chad Gierlich pled guilty to nine of 17 counts in Federal Court. These counts included three counts of hunting within Yosemite National Park, three counts of violating the Lacey Act and three counts of possession of a weapon within Yosemite National Park.

Chad Gierlich, Chris Gierlich, Kyle Narasky received sentences from Mono County Judge Stan Eller including up to 60 days in jail, between two and ten years hunting license revocation, three years probation, $1,000 fine, up to 200 hours community service.

On Tuesday, October 19th, 2010, Chad and Chris Gierlich were sentenced in Federal Court. Chris received sentencing including five years of supervised probation, 250 hours of community service, and 45 days of house arrest. Additionally, Chris is prohibited from hunting within the United States for five years, is not allowed to be in the presence of anyone hunting, and is not allowed to possess a bow and arrow.

Chad Gierlich’s sentence in federal court included five years of supervised probation and a $52,368 fine. Additionally, Chad is prohibited from hunting within the United States for five years, prohibited from being in the presence of other hunters, and is not allowed to possess a bow and arrow. He is not allowed in Yosemite for the duration of his probation.

I wouldn't call that a little mistake. This is a guy that doesn't care about anything but himself. As far as hook up baits? I don't know what all the hype is about. Tube baits with garlic scent has been around forever in trout fishing, let alone bass and ocean.
monkeyfishturds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:51 AM   #59
randman
Banned

Will be fun follow
randman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:25 PM   #60
TCS

He did one bad thing on one day. Just because you post six different copies of a google search doesn’t make it six times worse.

I believe in the regulations and follow them just like most of us do. But come on, the guy shot a couple deer on the wrong side of a government line. Got caught, paid a disproportionate price. Now he’s trying to be an entreprenuer and do good.

I don’t think a witch hunt is appropriate here.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote