Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 02-14-2012, 11:57 AM   #1
taggermike

Jig Stick Options

Bad news; My beloved CalStar 690J/Newell 338 combo was stolen befor xmas. Better news; I need a new surface iron set up and think it's time to leave the old school. I like the feel of the Calstar GG series and some of the longer Graphiters as well. I saw that Seeker is making the D-8 again. Not new school but a great rod. The terramars have a strong following as well. As for reels, maybe a toruim 16 or Daiwa black and gold saltist 35. I've had success with braid on my bait casters and may want to go with it on my surface iron reel as well. These are just some options. I'd like to know what are you guys favoring and using now? Thanks, Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

New Favorite Reel: Daiwa Seagate. The plastic version of a Saltist.

New Favorite Rod: New Old School Seeker LB100 or a New School Seeker Hercules 90H. The latter is better for braid and is feather light.
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #3
T Bone

I want a 690J GG Calstar.Graphite and glass in harmony...

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:11 AM   #4
taggermike

Thanks guys. Kid, I looked at the hercules sticks. Great sounding and looking rods, but man they don't give those things away. I saw the GGs at the Jig Stop in Dana when they first came out and really liked the feel of them. I have an Ulua 93-H that I love on the party boats but it feels like I'm pole vaulting when I use it on the kayak. I may be done with 9 foot+ rods and get the Seeker pinhead D-8. Thanks again, Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote