Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2016, 01:14 PM   #1
pingpangdang

Wife tired of the mess

Wife gave me orders to release the next yellowtail. This is mainly due to the mess I make in the backyard cleaning yellowtails.

She doesn't want me to clean such a big fish in the kitchen. I was researching large cutting boards at first but many are pretty expensive and it still wouldn't resolve all of my fish cleaning needs.

I've decided to go with a tricam fish and game table. It's long enough for me to filet large fish and it has a sink to connect to a water hose. The drain pipe can go to ground or I could put a 5 gallon bucket under the pipe.

Cost me around 70 dollars on amazon. I like the little channels on the perimeter as well to prevent fish liquid from spilling over.

It folds up and supports up to 150 pounds.

Kaiser

Can't wait to use it.uploadfromtaptalk1461273237667.jpguploadfromtaptalk1461273258221.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
pingpangdang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:21 PM   #2
Darrell
Junior

Nice, and 70$ seems pretty reasonable for that set up. You could also use it for outdoor bbq food prep or camping
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:27 PM   #3
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
Nice, and 70$ seems pretty reasonable for that set up. You could also use it for outdoor bbq food prep or camping
I was thinking the same thing
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:31 PM   #4
ful-rac
Emperor

Just buy a regular folding table...you probably already have one on your garage...

Fillet your fish, break it down to smaller pieces, then use your smaller cutting board to finish trimming up your pieces.

Oh you already bought it....never mind then...carry on.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:35 PM   #5
hiramehunter

this would be awesome to use when camping! Dual purpose!
hiramehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:42 PM   #6
M4TT

i wish i had your problem. i've yet to catch anything in the yak.
M4TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:58 PM   #7
Dee84cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingpangdang View Post
Wife gave me orders to release the next yellowtail. This is mainly due to the mess I make in the backyard cleaning yellowtails.

She doesn't want me to clean such a big fish in the kitchen. I was researching large cutting boards at first but many are pretty expensive and it still wouldn't resolve all of my fish cleaning needs.

I've decided to go with a tricam fish and game table. It's long enough for me to filet large fish and it has a sink to connect to a water hose. The drain pipe can go to ground or I could put a 5 gallon bucket under the pipe.

Cost me around 70 dollars on amazon. I like the little channels on the perimeter as well to prevent fish liquid from spilling over.

It folds up and supports up to 150 pounds.

Kaiser

Can't wait to use it.Attachment 18873Attachment 18874

Can't wait to have this issue! Lol
Dee84cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:04 PM   #8
Starsky

I have that exact table stowed away in our camper for camping, pretty nice table. It's a little higher than most tables, probably to make it easier to clean fish/game.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:11 PM   #9
pingpangdang

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Just buy a regular folding table...you probably already have one on your garage...

Fillet your fish, break it down to smaller pieces, then use your smaller cutting board to finish trimming up your pieces.

Oh you already bought it....never mind then...carry on.
I was thinking about this as well...Under 30. Some you tubers even modified some of these by cutting a hole out and creating a sink with a plastic container.

Just decided to go with the tricam mostly for the drip channels. ..

I usually go the cheapest diy route but not this time...

Didn't think about taking it camping but that would be a good idea and it's small enough to fit in the back of an suv

Old 04-21-2016, 02:44 PM   #10
jorluivil

For me..........an old piece of plywood on saw horses or a resin table. .........whichever is easier to get to

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:18 PM   #11
Raskal311

I put a patio umbrella where the drain hole is on mine.
Old 04-21-2016, 03:27 PM   #12
bolocop

fish still gets pretty slippery on the table. Have a burlap sack like the ones on the sport boats to prevent slippage.
bolocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:10 PM   #13
pingpangdang

Just bought a potato sack for the hot weather. ..last fish got hot and dry during a long paddle even after splashing water on it

Old 04-21-2016, 04:40 PM   #14
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

I also like the simplicity of a thin piece of plywood on two saw horses. It's stable. Garden hose with a spray nozzle. The runoff waters my plants. Plywood grips the fish. Air dry in the sun takes care of the smell. No need to worry about knife cuts on something nice and cleaning is as easy as hosing it off. Stacks easy when I'm done.

If there are lots of guts to dispose of, I tie them in a plastic trash bag and drop it in a trash container somewhere else. The small stuff soaks into the ground as fertilizer or neighborhood animals carry it away at night. If you want to recycle, you could also chop it up as chum for the next day (personally, I don't bother with chum.)

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 04-21-2016 at 04:59 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:17 PM   #15
captnblood34

Not allowed to bring fish home? I'm sorry.... Call me if you do happen to score one and I'll take it, clean it, package it, and donate it to Heroes On The Water on her behalf....

Jay
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:49 PM   #16
pingpangdang

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnblood34 View Post
Not allowed to bring fish home? I'm sorry.... Call me if you do happen to score one and I'll take it, clean it, package it, and donate it to Heroes On The Water on her behalf....

Jay
I'm all about helping out

Old 04-21-2016, 07:07 PM   #17
pingpangdang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsky View Post
I have that exact table stowed away in our camper for camping, pretty nice table. It's a little higher than most tables, probably to make it easier to clean fish/game.
Yeah I forgot to mention that I'm 5'7 and it's past my waste so you're not hunched over.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:16 PM   #18
Geno Machino
"Relax"

Thanks for the heads up Just had the little lady buy me one on Amazon. Love the faucet feature.
I used to use a piece of plywood and saw horses, however this looks like a very clean and convinent way to produce quality sashimi grade fillets without to much water but access to enough w just a turn of the handle.
We'll see. Update will be posted when I get some fishes.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:31 PM   #19
pingpangdang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno Machino View Post
Thanks for the heads up Just had the little lady buy me one on Amazon. Love the faucet feature.
I used to use a piece of plywood and saw horses, however this looks like a very clean and convinent way to produce quality sashimi grade fillets without to much water but access to enough w just a turn of the handle.
We'll see. Update will be posted when I get some fishes.
I have stamped concrete in the back yard and cleaned a fish on a farm house table I built...i made a mess and had to break out vinegar to get rid of smells... I plan on using the game table by cutting fillets and rinsing them in the built in sink with a tad of water. Then soap sponge off the top into the sink preventing any water to hit the deck. It does seem more sanitary as well. We'll see. Also I won't have to handle a hose or spray nozzle. Turn on and off water with a clean back side of my hand.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:10 PM   #20
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingpangdang View Post
I have stamped concrete in the back yard and cleaned a fish on a farm house table I built...i made a mess and had to break out vinegar to get rid of smells... I plan on using the game table by cutting fillets and rinsing them in the built in sink with a tad of water. Then soap sponge off the top into the sink preventing any water to hit the deck. It does seem more sanitary as well. We'll see. Also I won't have to handle a hose or spray nozzle. Turn on and off water with a clean back side of my hand.

You're putting to much thought into it

1. fillet first side
2. fillet second side
3. discard carcass into trash can
4. cut fillets into pieces
5. bag fillets
6. go fishing again and repeat steps

I fillet all of my fish in my driveway and rarely do i make such a mess that it makes me worry about it. Once I'm done I just get the hose and wash down the area that I was working in. I've been doing this for years and I've never had any issues with my driveway smelling like spoiled fish and I know for a fact that I my driveway is not stained.

Also, I would not recommend that you wash your fillets, that is unless you plan on letting them dry out before you freeze them. If you wash them and bag them the fresh water will freeze inside the bag and cause freezer burn. just fillet and bag.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote