Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-12-2018, 07:39 AM   #1
Saba Slayer

BIXPY JET MOTOR review...

I received a Bixpy Jet Motor to try out...yea...Im a lazy guy that likes to take advantage of the new technologies. LOL

It's a well thought out power unit with a lithium battery pack. They have two options for mounting on the Pro Angler. One system mounts on the back handle and the steering cover plate and has the motor at the rear of the boat. I dock launch a lot and this rig made it tough for me to drop the boat in the water with the rig sticking out so far…if you launch from a beach or lake shore this rigging method might work for you…the advantage to this rig is that you still have your Mirage Drive pedal system to add power or to have an immediate back-up...we also have a lot of eel grass and kelp around King Harbor and when it gets caught in the motor it's tough to get back there to clean it out unless you have a friend available.

Bixpy's other mount is with an adapter through the Mirage Drive hole. I really liked this method better as it's so easy to pull the motor and clean it out if eel grass gets in there.

The lithium battey pack is lightweight and compact for easy storage under the seat or wherever you would like to put it.

The motor is so easy to install…

…And once the Bixpy motor is installed it's amazing how much deck room there is with the Mirage Drive stashed in the back in case it's needed later.

The operation of the motor is through this remote control…which is made perfectly to mount on the Hobie Vantage seat at the end of the arm rest.
The control has 10 forward speeds and three reverse speeds and the battery has a magnetic kill switch…the battery even has 5V and 12V output connectors for charging phones and running accessories

The Bixpy Jet pushed the PA along at about 3.6mph…peaking at 4mph. when it was calm and in the harbor. 3.5mph is the usual cadence speed of most folks when peddling normally.

All in all, I was very impressed in the power of that little motor, the ease of installation, and the weight of the battery pack! I'll probably purchase another battery pack to extend the range of this cool little motor.

THANKS Daniella and Human at BIXPY…!!!

Last edited by Saba Slayer; 06-12-2018 at 05:31 PM.
Saba Slayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:50 AM   #2
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

Thanks for the review. It seems cool. Do you know how many running hours you get at around 3.5 miles an hour?

Updated.... A quick search and found the answer. It looks like the extra battery pack would be well worth it!
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 8.54.41 AM.png (106.1 KB, 309 views)

I'm telling ya, you have to keep these suckers on a game clip until just before you drop them in the frying pan.(Rossman)

Last edited by SDROB; 06-12-2018 at 07:57 AM.
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:13 PM   #3
Changgang
Senior

I want one for fishing the freshwater NorCal tournaments, seems everyone up north has a motorized kayak.
Changgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:35 PM   #4
jorluivil

I'm going to need one of those soon

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:44 PM   #5
TJones

I will add to the review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDROB View Post
Thanks for the review. It seems cool. Do you know how many running hours you get at around 3.5 miles an hour?

Updated.... A quick search and found the answer. It looks like the extra battery pack would be well worth it!
I picked up a PA 14 and right from the get go, I purchased the bixpy and an additional battery. Between the kayak and bixpy I spent a small fortune, but I got hooked up on lots of accessories and would like to thank Fast lane for one heck of hell deal. Always a pleasure Hayden. It looks like the information posted on the manufactures website is very accurate on running amps / hours of operation. I purchased the drop in mount which is probably what most guys are gonna use, and unless you are strictly harbor and or lake, this is what I would recommend. I used only one battery and switched out back and forth between drives during the day. Primarily I ran the motor at about half speed during most of day and still had a 2-3 green led's illuminated when I decided to head around corner. After a long day of paddling I decided to head in. I was easily, 2.5 miles out. I ran it wide open and was back inside in within about 30 min. The battery even had a little bit of juice left surprisingly. This unit blows away the torqueedo. Of course, we are talking about technology almost a decade newer. This motor is not for everyone, but if you want to get back inside or from 3 miles out in a hurry, it is more than capable. I can't say or speak about how it will affect fishing. I was trolling a live one behind me, but no takers. Needless to say, this season has been pretty tough. Hopefully the fish will not be spooked from the noise and I will post up when I have more definitive information. Hope the review is helpful.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:51 PM   #6
TJones

camo 14

hds 7 , and a bixpy? are you trying to bite my style?
Old 06-12-2018, 05:29 PM   #7
Saba Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
Yea... I'm new to this kayak thing and I'm trying to find someone really awesome to follow and copy his style...!

Saba Slayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:38 PM   #8
TheBentRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post

Wait, you have a style?
TheBentRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:48 PM   #9
jbl_91762

Been wanting one for a while. Had one slip by on our for sale section cause the 1 week I didnt check the forums it was sold by the time I reached out. But some day but its a nice to have item IMO not needed for where I fish. I just need to hit the treadmill more often lol
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:09 PM   #10
TJones

snap

double bashing
Old 06-13-2018, 04:31 PM   #11
farmer

Thanks Lazy Boy for the report I was going to give you a call. Watching you lug the battery up the ramp was not that inviting I've picked up to many over the years. But the lithium battery pack and small motor going in the mirage drive slot looks good. See you out on the pond.
farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:15 PM   #12
Baja_Traveler

Having just got back from fishing the mangroves, I realized that I really need a 180 drive, and as expensive as the Hobie 180 is, getting a bixpy instead makes a lot of sense. I'll have one of these before our October trip.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:31 PM   #13
TJones

I had a 2016 outback ( standard mirage Drive)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
Having just got back from fishing the mangroves, I realized that I really need a 180 drive, and as expensive as the Hobie 180 is, getting a bixpy instead makes a lot of sense. I'll have one of these before our October trip.
then the 180 came out in 2017 and I thought it was a gimmick. someone posted a price on recent post when a drive was lost at lj in surf. the price is insane, but the feature is pretty useful. well worth it, if you can afford it? especially in retrospect to how much we spend on this hobby. motor is cool, but I would think your better off with drive in the mangroves close quarter maneuvering.
Old 08-20-2021, 05:23 PM   #14
Mahigeer

With the motor, does the kayak needs to be registered?

"I am new to this kayak thing........." yeh right.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 05:32 PM   #15
FoodGeekFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
With the motor, does the kayak needs to be registered?

"I am new to this kayak thing........." yeh right.
With any type of powered propulsion (other than yourself), CA registration and numbers are required.
FoodGeekFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 09:04 AM   #16
Salty

In the wise words of a teacher from a long time ago: "It's not 'laziness,' it's 'efficiency.'" Would love to slap one in my Outback some day, but can't justify the price at this point. It's not bad though, considering the benefits it provides, but I have too much other gear on my list of "things I really shouldn't be spending money on" as it is!
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 12:00 PM   #17
theluckypig

I have one that i use on my PA 17... it is a benefit that is worth having...
theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 08:30 PM   #18
LEEZO

I put one on my PA 14 last summer. it's a time saver for me well worth it. i have put on a few pounds since i installed it though
LEEZO is offline   Reply With Quote